Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:28 PM
charlie808
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Z06 engine replacement

After broken valve spring and seized engine, finally found a used low mileage LS6 out of a side-swipe total, good compression, running good when it came out. (First thing I will do is replace valve springs.) I have a Corvette guy, pretty much one of one in the area I live, who will do the swap. He has a jig for removing body from frame, thus giving access to all components and hopefully a relatively easy swap. Anyone done similar replacement and/or have anything to watch out for?
Old 10-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

There is no reason to remove the body to replace the engine.
The engine can be lifted out with the hood removed through the top, or dropped through the bottom if you have a lift. We drop the toque tube from the bell housing,remove the front suspension and radiator, headers battery and wiring harness including the computer cables removed and simply lift it out just like the old days.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

kudos for doing a compression test. it blows my mind when i see people buy used engines without doing this and they only look at miles

i could care less {to a degree} what the mileage is if the engine has spec compression

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 engine replacement

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 engine replacement