Sponsored by:

Overspeed shutdown?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:36 AM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overspeed shutdown?

I was pulling out of a toll booth and wanted to get ahead of the traffic. I wound it out in first gear (M6) to probably close to 70. Wasn't really paying attention to anything except getting out of there fast. All of a sudden the engine acted like it was out of fuel. Wouldn't rev, missing - just barely running. I eased over to the shoulder and sat for a few minutes. It never shut off, kinda idled for a minute. Reved the motor and then it was fine.

So, is there a rev limiter or something that I ran against? Continued on for 4 hours with no problems.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998BlackPlasticToy
I was pulling out of a toll booth and wanted to get ahead of the traffic. I wound it out in first gear (M6) to probably close to 70. Wasn't really paying attention to anything except getting out of there fast. All of a sudden the engine acted like it was out of fuel. Wouldn't rev, missing - just barely running. I eased over to the shoulder and sat for a few minutes. It never shut off, kinda idled for a minute. Reved the motor and then it was fine.

So, is there a rev limiter or something that I ran against? Continued on for 4 hours with no problems.

Thanks.
Wait! You didn't know that there's a rev limiter? Seriously? I'm actually surprised that you managed to even get to 70 in first gear. I didn't think that was possible with a 3.42 rear.

All cars are equipped with rev limiters. If they weren't, there would a lot of people with blown engines blaming the manufacturer.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Please tell

Me that , that question was just not asked !!!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:19 AM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.
Do you mean that was happening when your motor was revving at 6500rpm or so? That would be called a rev limiter. Yes, its for when drivers not paying attention don't blow up there engines.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:30 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Now that's funny right there...certainly a non-car guy situation. How many times did you run it up there to see if it just needed to clear it's throat?

LOL!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Just remember the rev limiter only protects your motor when you shift up through the gears. You can damage your motor if you over rev it when downshifting.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM
YellowC5Alive
Heel & Toe

You can de-program the rev limiter...not that you should...
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Obviously wasn't thinking when I drove it, and again when I posted here.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Ona mission
Racer

St. Jude Donor '14

Thats ok, this is a pretty hungry and sometime un-forgiving bunch here... still a great place to hang out.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Life is about learning. Don't let a little lite hearted fun at your expense get your goat. We all poke fun at others sometime whether here or out there somewhere. Have a great Thanksgiving. You can give thanks for having a rev limiter when you needed one.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ona mission
Thats ok, this is a pretty hungry and sometime un-forgiving bunch here... still a great place to hang out.
one reason I like it here so much is because when I go to reply on threads like this half of the people have said what I was gonna say!
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cybermind

All cars are equipped with rev limiters.
Actually you are wrong. I worked on cars for years before computerized engine management became the norm. None of them had rev limiters except people with high performance engines that included rev limits in the added on tach or magneto.

I guessed the rev limiter was the cause but at 2 AM I wasn't clearly focused. Used to have a self-imposed rule about keyboard posts after 11 PM. Guess I should go back to it.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Don't take it personally - heck, we don't even know you.

Seriously, most folks on here are as helpful as you could ever ask for - we just like to have a bit of fun when no one or thing was hurt/damaged. That's half the reason to be on here.

Glad your car emerged form the lesson unscathed but, as DD II mentioned, don't do it on the way down as the rev limiter can do nothing to save your engine if you over-wind it downshifting. Many here have learned that hard lesson over the years.

OTOH, it is good to hear that you were probing the limits of acceleration of your machine.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Life is about learning. Don't let a little lite hearted fun at your expense get your goat. We all poke fun at others sometime whether here or out there somewhere. Have a great Thanksgiving. You can give thanks for having a rev limiter when you needed one.
It's all about the learning curve. We all had to start out that way.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey, don't take it too bad. We're just having a little fun. Don't let it discourage you from posting. We've all been through it.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 PM
cdnguyred88
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick
Now that's funny right there...certainly a non-car guy situation. How many times did you run it up there to see if it just needed to clear it's throat?

LOL!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Default Over-reving & over reacting!

Originally Posted by Ona mission
Yes, I agree 100%! I've only had my car a few weeks and joined before I even picked it up. I've learned enormous amounts of info in a very short time and I appreciate the people who are willing to share their knowledge and a few digs alongside. I'm thankful that I do have a rev limiter but it's the first time I've had it activate. A little embarrassment is a whole lot betterthan a blown engine.

I was rolling. Left late on my trip, had to run thru rush hour in the dark and rain. Neither things I do often anymore. But I made my destination in the same time as daylight trips take. Wasn't speeding (not enough to make a cop want to stop me) but lkved the cruise in my C5. Wanted one all my life, and now I have one.

Thanks for all the comments. I can take the deserved digs with the helpful comments on my other posts. Slam away; I'm ready now.

Get notified of new replies

To Overspeed shutdown?

Old 11-27-2013, 04:49 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, I agree 100%! I've only had my car a few weeks and joined before I even picked it up. I've learned enormous amounts of info in a very short time and I appreciate the people who are willing to share their knowledge and a few digs alongside. I'm thankful that I do have a rev limiter but it's the first time I've had it activate. A little embarrassment is a whole lot betterthan a blown engine.

I was rolling. Left late on my trip, had to run thru rush hour in the dark and rain. Neither things I do often anymore. But I made my destination in the same time as daylight trips take. Wasn't speeding (not enough to make a cop want to stop me) but lkved the cruise in my C5. Wanted one all my life, and now I have one.

Thanks for all the comments. I can take the deserved digs with the helpful comments on my other posts. Slam away; I'm ready now.
That's the right attitude....you'll do great in here. Just don't take any **** over fuzzy dice!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
1998BlackPlasticToy
Instructor

Default Fuzzy dice are out! Better cancel my Amazon order!

Originally Posted by sfc rick
That's the right attitude....you'll do great in here. Just don't take any **** over fuzzy dice!
No fuzzy dice, huh? I was thinking the pink ones would go great with my triple black... Well how about a tiger tail from the gas filler or a coon tail on my antenna? Anyone know where Pep Boys or High Gear moved to? GPS coordinates will be helpful.

Are dice on my valve stems still ok? How about chrome piston door locks? Oh wait - I don't have those... my high school graduation pendant or my ski lift passes? Will any of those pass muster?

Guess it's too low to mount neon light underneath like the tuners... boo hiss, what a bummer.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, don't get little digs get to ya. When I first bought my C5 I didn't get 2000 miles on it when I accidentally downshifted from 5th to 2nd gear at about 85mph and destroyed the valvetrain. I had some try to take digs at me saying I couldn't have over-revved the engine because it has a rev limiter. Lmao

Quick Reply: Overspeed shutdown?