Sponsored by:

installing Guage bezels

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Redvette7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default installing Guage bezels

Any way to get this done without taking dash out?
Can you get access by just removing the instrument
Cluster bezel?
Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what is a guage, and how did it get up in your dash?
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 PM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Redvette7
Any way to get this done without taking dash out?
Can you get access by just removing the instrument
Cluster bezel?
There is no need to take the dash pad off, but you do have to remove the center console bezel, and the driver side knee bolster. then just remove the two bolts holding the steering column up. The steering column will then drop a few inches and you can pull the cluster out.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,545 Likes on 14,106 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Here are some great instructions on the gauge bezel install from Vette Essentials.

http://www.vetteessentials.com/instr...zel_howto.html
Old 03-04-2014, 11:49 AM
envyz06
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just did this a few days ago, and I would recommend taking the cluster panel out, and taking it apart, not hard, just some T15 torx screws. Once you take off the bezel with the DIC and Hud with 6 bolts, the clear part comes off with tabs. I would recommend taking the second bezel off after the clear cover because you could get glue on the gauge faces if not careful. I wasn't sure doing it if I was gonna like them but now I have them on they look killer! I love at night the glow they get.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:55 AM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by envyz06
I just did this a few days ago, and I would recommend taking the cluster panel out, and taking it apart, not hard, just some T15 torx screws. Once you take off the bezel with the DIC and Hud with 6 bolts, the clear part comes off with tabs. I would recommend taking the second bezel off after the clear cover because you could get glue on the gauge faces if not careful. I wasn't sure doing it if I was gonna like them but now I have them on they look killer! I love at night the glow they get.
Specifically, your gauge face trim rings may not perfectly fit the gauge surrounds. If that is the case, having this bezel separated from the gauge faces will help you avoid smearing glue on the gauge faces while trying to force-fit the trim rings. (I encountered this exact situation during my install.)

The Lizzard
Old 03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Redvette7
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to
Attempt this over the weekend.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

let us know how it turns out!! I've had some sitting in my garage for over a year that I keep neglecting to put in.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

The only STRONG suggestion I would add is to be very careful to be neat and clean.

That piece of lint you leave behind the lens will but the snot out of you forever.

Go slow, be meticulous and keep things very clean.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No short cuts to doing that job right. I did it so I am sure you can too. Make sure before you start the reinstall procedure after the bezels are in place, that all the instrument needles are on the correct side of the pegs. You would hate to tear it all down again because RPM is bbbbbimp, etc.

Also, Black Seal A gasket is a great adhesion product for this job. Only takes a very, very small dab that will not show if you "F" up!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
The only STRONG suggestion I would add is to be very careful to be neat and clean.

That piece of lint you leave behind the lens will but the snot out of you forever.

That Too!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:25 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Originally Posted by MikeMikeWmike
let us know how it turns out!! I've had some sitting in my garage for over a year that I keep neglecting to put in.
Get out there and put them in. If I can pull it off anyone can. I did it two years ago, scared to death the whole time, it was awesome

Just take your time, great info in post above, write down your steps so that that you hold your own hand, organize and lable the parts as you take apart go for reassemble. Take The Leap! You always have us fellow Vette idiots to fall back on if you need help.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:31 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Installing the new bezels is easy once you have it removed. Just line it all up and set it!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:18 AM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
No short cuts to doing that job right. I did it so I am sure you can too. Make sure before you start the reinstall procedure after the bezels are in place, that all the instrument needles are on the correct side of the pegs. You would hate to tear it all down again because RPM is bbbbbimp, etc.

Also, Black Seal A gasket is a great adhesion product for this job. Only takes a very, very small dab that will not show if you "F" up!
Where did you purchase the Black Seal A gasket adhesion?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
chipscvettec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to attempt over the weekend...VetteEssential has a great writeup, but I wanted to ask how difficult it was to get the two connections free. It sounds like the one you have to disconnect from under the dash is hard to get to and only by feel. Can you actually see the fitting once your up under the dash?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Did mine a couple of years ago when repairing HUD. Looks really cool at night. I used the Amazing Goop for mine. Went to a track day at VIR 2 weeks later - 107* outside and about 140* inside - no issues. Rings are still on today, 2 years later.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM
LoneStarLizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Just remember to extend the steering column all the way out before you disconnect the electrical harnesses under the driver's seat. If you don't extend the steering column, the gauge cluster is very difficult to extract from the dash housing - not enough room between the dash and the steering wheel.

This is written up in the Vette Essentials instructions. However, it isn't included chronologically in the right place in those instructions. Read the instructions start-to-finish and you will find this suggestion.

The Lizzard

Last edited by LoneStarLizzard; 03-10-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To installing Guage bezels

Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 AM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 AM
Redvette7
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. Got this done today. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. And a little bonus, got my dim AC fixed as well when everything was apart. Will try to post some pics when I figure out how!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:34 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO

I can't emphasize this enough!! When I did this mod, it ended being a contribution to one of those "Mods you regretted threads". Not that I hated the mod itself... it just turned out being a disaster I had to live with because of admittedly poor execution on my part. The felt-like material around the gauges is *extremely* unforgiving to the touch. Touch it and it won't be the same. Also, it is very easy for the smallest amount of glue to get onto the fingers and inadvertently transferred to the bezels or surrounding area. It is not my intention to discourage you from doing this mod yourself, I'm just emphasizing the amount of care needed.

I ultimately bought a new bezel and had American Hydrocarbon install the bezels for me. I have yet to put the new cluster back into the car.

Quick Reply: installing Guage bezels