Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shipping a Hood

Have to ship a hood. Any experience? Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have shipped a stock hood before. I had bought an MCM hood and I used the box that hood came in to ship the stock one. It was very heavy duty cardboard with the right styrofoam pieces to fully protect the edges of the hood. I also added a lot of other padding (mainly foam rubber) to ensure the hood was protected. I used FedEx Ground for the shipping company and got a break on the cost as a first time customer.

If you can find an appropriate box from a dealer or body shop, that would be the way to go.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:08 AM
thogan33
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I have shipped a stock hood before. I had bought an MCM hood and I used the box that hood came in to ship the stock one. It was very heavy duty cardboard with the right styrofoam pieces to fully protect the edges of the hood. I also added a lot of other padding (mainly foam rubber) to ensure the hood was protected. I used FedEx Ground for the shipping company and got a break on the cost as a first time customer.

If you can find an appropriate box from a dealer or body shop, that would be the way to go.
Thanks. Good idea.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM
rwlc5
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

once I was trying to buy a used MCM hood via an auction and i would have had to make the shiooing arrangements. I am pretty sure that I went to a website called Uship.com or something similar. You tell them what you want to ship and to where and then delivery companies will give you bids on how much they will charge to deliver it. It works out good because a lot of times they are trying to pick up deliveries so that they are not totally deadheading it on a return trip somewhere.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

I just bought a hi rise MCM hood from a forum member in Texas this last summer. FedEx ground. It was a horrible experience. The box was beat up pretty good considering it was a short trip with no stops from Dallas area to Kansas City.

If you look at these pictures you can see in the picture where the hood is still packed in the box... If you notice the lack of packing in the bottom right corner. That just so happens to be where the most traumatic impact caving that bottom corner in during shipping occurred as you can see. It caused one of the plug serts inside the front of the hood(by the place of impact)to come loose inside the cavity where the drivers side hood hinge attaches. The impact pushed the hood up into the catty-corner(top left in the picture). Which is where the "other" damage occurred as you can see in the picture of the top passenger corner of the hood. A little fiberglass damage. All in all I lucked out that the two areas that were damaged were fiberglass not carbon fiber.
Especially since FedEx grounds policy for insurance on a used item was to pay me 50 cents a pound to help replace or fix. The check was $25.

It took 2 months after shipping to get done with FedEx grounds investigation to acquire if they were liable. For a $25 dollar check..

I am just sharing like you asked and I hope it helps. Maybe the pictures more than my rambling

When I picked up the hood from FedEx an employee brought it out laying flat on a palet in a forklift. Pack it really good and make sure you brace ALL corners as putting a ton of stickers and "don't lay flat" probably won't be heeded. Along with the fact that for a cumbersome package the shipping process is a violent one.

Again, brace each corner... This picture was taken right after I opened the box... If there was a brace in the bottom right I might not have had any damage.?

Get notified of new replies

To Shipping a Hood

Quick Reply: Shipping a Hood