Michelin Pilot Sport ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Default Michelin Pilot Sport ?

I am looking to put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 2004 convertible when it arrives.

I had originally decide on the non-EMTs.

I was reading some reviews about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus ZP (ZP means Zero Pressure, Michelin's name for their run flat tires).

One of the reviews said that the Michelin ZP tires were much quieter than the OEM tires, which is one of the big reasons for me thinking about non run-flat tires.

So, here is my question:

Who is using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires? How do you like them? How much quieter than OEM tires (yes, it is s subjective question)?

Who is using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires? How do you like them? How much quieter than OEM tires (yes, it is s subjective question)?

Any chance that someone has some experience with both, and can provide some feedback?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:34 PM
slicker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good tires

Originally Posted by emccomas
I am looking to put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my 2004 convertible when it arrives.

I was reading some reviews about the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus ZP (ZP means Zero Pressure, Michelin's name for their run flat tires).

One of the reviews said that the Michelin ZP tires were much quieter than the OEM tires, which is one of the big reasons for me thinking about non run-flat tires.

So, here is my question:

Who is using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires? How do you like them? How much quieter than OEM tires (yes, it is s subjective question)?

Who is using Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires? How do you like them? How much quieter than OEM tires (yes, it is s subjective question)?

Any chance that someone has some experience with both, and can provide some feedback?
i have the Michelin Pilot tires on my car and they are both quiet and sure footed
no problems and the run flat feature gives good piece of mind
Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM
joewom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, here is my question:

Might not be of help. I have Michelin Pilot Sports but not the ZP. 335-30 rear and 275/35 front. I have found for the few almost month since I got my vette they are great in corners. I say that because 1st second or third they break away easily. Now I do have about 630RWHP so I am not sure if anything short of slicks will hold so overall I like the Michelin's.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

How much quieter than OEM tires (yes, it is s subjective question)?

I have had both, IMO they are a lot quieter than OEM.
Just a DD I assume?
I do not track my cars, just the spirited runs. So for me they are fantastic.
But in honesty, I must say I have never had a brand new set of OEM's to compare to. 1 set did only have 8500 on them though.
I have a new set on my 1999 FRC with no rear partition. And with a good road surface I can hardly believe how quiet the ride is.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

115k on my C5; I'm on my 3rd set of PS AS ZPs.
No complaints at all.

Substantially quieter than OEMs, especially after 1/2 life.
Only oddity is the outside edge grooves (Left to right) are shallower than the middle/circumfrence grooves. So the inside/outside edges wear faster than the center. That has been consistent on all 3 sets and on all 4 tires, so it's not a sign of under-inflation.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:15 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tuco
I have had both, IMO they are a lot quieter than OEM.
Just a DD I assume?
I do not track my cars, just the spirited runs. So for me they are fantastic.
But in honesty, I must say I have never had a brand new set of OEM's to compare to. 1 set did only have 8500 on them though.
I have a new set on my 1999 FRC with no rear partition. And with a good road surface I can hardly believe how quiet the ride is.
Correct, just a DD.

When you say you have had both, which "both" are you talking about.

I am hoping that someone has experience with both the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 vs. the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP.

I am not comparing the Michelins to the OEM Goodyears, I am trying to decide between Michelin run flats and Michelin non run flats.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:35 PM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

And so I decided to check out some of the "other" auto forums where spirited driving is often done.

The Bimmer and Lexus people seem to be overwhelming in favor of the non run flat over the run flat Michelins, and there are a number of people who have used both on the same car.

One interesting comment I saw that generated a lot of "Where did you here that"; "Back that up with some facts" was the following comment... (and I paraphrase)

If you car originally came with run flat tires, you need to replace them with run flat tires because the suspension on your car was designed with run flat tires in mind.

THAT comment didn't sit out there long before people were all over it.

Turns out the OP was commenting based on his own personal experience.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

the problem with run flat technology is the heat that is created by the tougher stronger side wall, the compound has a higher carbon content. all this created more heat which cooks the rubber and makes it harder faster. When you By New Goodyear EMT they are not very noisy. but they get harder and harder the more you drive them. Improper air pressure also has a bigger effect on runflats than conventional tires. So if you buy runflats for the security, its placebo effect that they are quiet .. they are quiet because the rubber is fresh and un cooked. and if you formerly had a set of runflats that ran their mileage course, your ear is use to the increased tire noise. Buying New tires would naturally be much quieter no mater what the design. the problem is the run flats will get noisier faster then the conventional tires that you have the option to buy.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:46 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have these tires on my 99 C5, stock 17/18 staggered sizes. I have the non run flat versions. The reason for that is I talked to two mechanics I have service my cars (one owns two Z06 C5's himself) and both said the run flats handle like A$$.

When I got my 04 CE last year, it had the original Goodyear run flats on it. I got a real thick dose of how crappy those tires handle. While they had 29k miles on them, these were also the tires that were on my 99 C5 when I got it, only I changed them immediately after buying the car.

The 04 I had to drive 1100 miles home. The handling on the Goodyear RF's a hair short of abysmal. If you went in a straight line, you only had the ungodly road noise to contend with. I turned the radio up to three times the volume of my 99 C5 in the 04 with those tires. When you made the slightest turn on the freeway at 65, you thought you'd lost your power steering, and the tires followed any minor groove in the road.

Run Flat tires? No thank you!

I got the oversize can of Spare Air, and I have the 200 mile towing option on my AAA card. I'll rely on that rather than deal with the loud noise, poor handling and abysmal steering of run flat tires.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have the sports and the compound is soft and easy to spin the tires.

Best tire i have used so fart that really stuck was the goodyear F1 supercar tire non runflat
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I run the Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my Z06 and love em!!

Quiet and stick like glue!! Makes a huge difference in the ride.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:51 PM
RBBrimer
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Michelin A/S

I just put 2 in the back, had old wore out Michelin there.

WOW ---- it rides like it on air. My fronts are over 60% non Michelin.

I might bite the bullet put two A/S's on the front.

You will not be unhappy . Also you get 45000 miles and all seasons.

So, here is my question:

Old 06-02-2014, 11:03 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Needed rears and bought Michelin PS ZP A/S to replace the OEM Goodyears. They are quieter. I did a 70mph run with a decibel meter before switching. OEMs ran 78. Michelins same test site run 72. Not a ton but some anyway. Good traction and in rain feel better grip.

Will Autocross them this weekend. Yeah, I know better tires for that but prmarily this is a DD not a cone car.

Still have the OEMs up front. PO had replaced fronts but not rears. 85% wear left on fronts. So I'll run mismatched for a year or two.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:41 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I have had the Michelin Non Run flats on my '01 vert. for the last 8,000 mi. Quieter than O E M GYs. Run great into the corners and are the best buy you can get in tires. But I'm partial, because I have only used Michelin's on all the cars I drive for the last 30 + yrs. I am a road warrior and run about 20-24,000 miles a year.

You can carry a plug kit, compressor and a VW jack in passenger compartment of the trunk. But don't leave home without your AAA card.
Old 06-03-2014, 01:47 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not tested them myself, but most tests indicate that the new AS3 is significantly better than the old AS+ in every way except for snow/ice traction. The AS3 is closer to an actual performance tire and is absolutely what I would put on a Corvette over the AS+.

The other tire I'd consider with base C5 sized wheels is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, but for a DD street car the performance increase is likely not worth it.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My car will never see snow / ice, or even rain if I can help it.

The weather in north Alabama is such that we have year round good driving weather, but do occasionally get snow or ice. Car will stay in the garage on those days.

Tell me about the "VW jack". I assume that is a small jack.

I may have to rejoin AAA.

I am thinking that the process wiill be something like what was used in my wife's 2007 Solstice. No spare, but a can of fix a flat and an air compressor in what almost passed for a trunk.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:56 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,641 Likes on 1,204 Posts

I just took off my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP's because I put new wheels and tires on (Z06 size).

The Michelins were on the car when I bought it almost four years ago.

I don't drive the car in the rain/snow so I cannot vouch for their all weather capability, but on dry pavement in spirited street driving I never had an issue with them. Also, I never noticed road noise as an issue with these tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport ?

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
the problem with run flat technology is the heat that is created by the tougher stronger side wall, the compound has a higher carbon content. all this created more heat which cooks the rubber and makes it harder faster. When you By New Goodyear EMT they are not very noisy. but they get harder and harder the more you drive them. Improper air pressure also has a bigger effect on runflats than conventional tires. So if you buy runflats for the security, its placebo effect that they are quiet .. they are quiet because the rubber is fresh and un cooked. and if you formerly had a set of runflats that ran their mileage course, your ear is use to the increased tire noise. Buying New tires would naturally be much quieter no mater what the design. the problem is the run flats will get noisier faster then the conventional tires that you have the option to buy.
-----
Thanks. That's the best explanation of the differences between the options I've read.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 AM
stevegray04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14

I have Pilot Sport AS+ runflats on my 04. They are quiet and seem to be wearing well. Since I don't take the car to autocrosses or track days, I can't comment on high-speed handling, but they handle very well in "normal" street and interstate driving.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Bobd207s
Burning Brakes

Location: Cancer Sucks - please donate to Corvettes Conquer Cancer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I thought I might add this for your decision process. I have had the OEM Run Flats and Michelin Pilot Sport ZP's on my 2001 Coupe and my present car came with low mileage Michelin Pilot Sport non runflats. I drive my cars a lot and like to do long trips a couple times a season. For me it's all about safety - I love the Pilot Sports I currently have but when they are ready to be replaced I will go with the ZP's.

Very late one nite in my 2001 I had a blow out on the highway doing 80+ MPH - the ZP's performed perfectly - car stayed straight and got me home safely - I hate to think what might have happened if i was using a non-runflat tire.
hth
bob

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport ?