Sponsored by:

Reduced power etc....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 04:10 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Default Reduced power etc....

Jumped into my DD this morning and headed to the golf course for a round. Everything worked fine, left the course around noon, it was like 90 degrees and sunny. I drove it to the local Hardee's for lunch and when I left the car started, the windows would not go up, the gas level fell to "0", temp pegged and Oil pressure @ "0" too. Reduced engine power etc. Holy chit, it worked fine 10 minutes ago....

So I check vitals, engine was not hot, oil level was OK etc. I decided to cautiously drive it home and monitor the engine for unusual sounds. The engine ran fine on the 2 mile trip home (car has over 130,000 miles) I put it in the garage and decided to let it set for a couple of hours just to see if it was related to the heat outside.

I just went out and checked it, and the problem still existed.

Now the good news, I got to thinking about the fact that the DIC showed a complete lack of communication with everything. The remotes would not work, the windows would not go up etc.

I unpluggd the window valet, plugged it back in and viola,,all is well...

This is a just 'for your information' thread for those that use a window valet.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:23 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
Jumped into my DD this morning and headed to the golf course for a round. Everything worked fine, left the course around noon, it was like 90 degrees and sunny. I drove it to the local Hardee's for lunch and when I left the car started, the windows would not go up, the gas level fell to "0", temp pegged and Oil pressure @ "0" too. Reduced engine power etc. Holy chit, it worked fine 10 minutes ago....

So I check vitals, engine was not hot, oil level was OK etc. I decided to cautiously drive it home and monitor the engine for unusual sounds. The engine ran fine on the 2 mile trip home (car has over 130,000 miles) I put it in the garage and decided to let it set for a couple of hours just to see if it was related to the heat outside.

I just went out and checked it, and the problem still existed.

Now the good news, I got to thinking about the fact that the DIC showed a complete lack of communication with everything. The remotes would not work, the windows would not go up etc.

I unpluggd the window valet, plugged it back in and viola,,all is well...

This is a just 'for your information' thread for those that use a window valet.
Thanks. I made a note to not get a window valet.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by JR-01
Thanks. I made a note to not get a window valet.
You took it wrong. It is one of the greatest mods made for a Vette, especially a vert. The interesting thing is, if I had taken it to a dealer for diagnosis, the first thing they would do is remove the WV in order hook up their diagnostic computer to the port. When they found nothing and the WV gets reinstalled by me, everything ould have work just fine.....

I have one in my coupe and my vert, because on hot days you can open the windows and allow some air into the car before entering. I suspect I bumped it with my knee while getting in or out, since the port is right under the dash.

Last edited by Phanni; 06-23-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Steve:

Thanks for the post. I have a window valet and love it. My 2000 sometimes has an electrical brain fart and the security light will come on while driving along or on a hot restart. I have found that shutting the engine off, pulling the key and then restarting usually clears the problem. My car did this prior to install of the window valet.

What I have experienced is that if I let the car sit too long and the battery goes down I have to reprogram the window valet as the computer fails to recognize it.

Get notified of new replies

To Reduced power etc....

Quick Reply: Reduced power etc....