2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Default Brake Upgrade Questions

I have researched some threads in the C5 Tech section, howevever I thought I would ask C5 General for some more options.

As part of my 10-year maintenance, I am planning to upgrade my brake kit. I've decided on the Baer Eradispeed +2 rotor kit and I'm swapping out (back) from GM AC Delco ceramic pads to GM AC Delco semi-metallic pads based on feedback received on stopping distance, rotor discolorization, performance, etc.

As a result, I have a few questions...

(1) Is the GM OEM AC Delco material used in their semi-metallic brake pads the same as the original pads from 1997? Since our C5s are getting long in the tooth, I just want to make sure that the current inventory of pads are made of the same material as were originally designed. I know the official GM bra by comparison has changed manufacturers and production locations/countries over the years.

(2) I'm also considering upgrading to stainless steel braided brake lines. I've read various threads on the different brands, materials and I was curious if it is true that ss/braided lines can throw codes due to the static electricity build up. I haven't seen that issue brought up too much on this forum, so it may not be an issue with the C5 Corvette.

(3) Another question on ss/braided brake lines is whether or not the the OEM banjo fitting should be re-used or whether the fittings supplied by vendors such as DRM that utilize an AN thread fitting (picture below) offer a better solution. I appreciate the feedback and advice!

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-20-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ACDelco
Stock Semi-metallic pads
Front pads 19259588
Rear pads 19259589

I do not know if the current brake pads are of the original composite. The part numbers have changed in the last few years. Maybe an updated composite or different manufacturer? So far I prefer the stock semi-metallic pads over the Hawk HPS pads for my driving habits.

Front Rotor
Eradispeed Plus 2301011 (stock size)
Rear Rotor
Eradispeed Plus Two 2302021 (14 inch)

This was a finicky install. I would suggest installing the wheel and torque to 60 ft lbs to seat the rotor. Make sure the anti rattle clips and caliper brackets clear the rotor. Make sure the rear wheel weights clear the caliper if using OEM wheels.

I do not have any codes after installing Russell Stainless brake lines. The Russell stainless lines are encased in a thick plastic coating. They do use the banjo style fastening system. I have no issues with the install.

Your corner lights look great with MSG. Are they clear/chrome or clear /black? Switchbacks?

Last edited by jlaw1313@comcast.net; 07-27-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jlaw1313@comcast.net

ACDelco
Stock Semi-metallic pads
Front pads 19259588
Rear pads 19259588

I do not know if the current brake pads are of the original composite. The part numbers have changed in the last few years. Maybe an updated composite or different manufacturer? So far I prefer the stock semi-metallic pads over the Hawk HPS pads for my driving habits.

Front Rotor
Eradispeed Plus 2301011 (stock size)
Rear Rotor
Eradispeed Plus Two 2302021 (14 inch)

This was a finicky install. I would suggest installing the wheel and torquing to 60 ft lbs to seat the rotor. Make sure the anti rattle clips and caliper brackets clear the rotor.

I do not have any codes after installing Russell Stainless brake lines. The Russell stainless lines are encased in a thick plastic coating. They do use the banjo style fastening system. I have no issues with the install.

Your corner lights look great with MSG. Are they clear/chrome or clear /black? Switchbacks?
Thanks for the information. Love the color of your C5!

In researching the brake lines, I read that the banjo fittings could come loose during track driving, so I'm not sure if the AN fittings as described above would be overkill for my needs. However, I do think the install looks cleaner and I like the engineered benefits of the AN connections.

I installed the black waffle corners from Corvette Mods. I think they match up nice with the black ACA housings I have for my headlights. Plus, I stay DOT compliant with the amber reflector. The LED switchbacks and side marker bulbs also complete the look!

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...er_p_6360.html

Last edited by MSG C5; 07-21-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:02 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for the information. Love the color of your C5!

In researching the brake lines, I read that the banjo fittings could come loose during track driving, so I'm not sure if the AN fittings as described above would be overkill for my needs. However, I do think the install looks cleaner and I like the engineered benefits of the AN connections.

I installed the black waffle corners from Corvette Mods. I think they match up nice with the black ACA housings I have for my headlights. Plus, I stay DOT compliant with the amber reflector. The LED switchbacks and side marker bulbs also complete the look!

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...er_p_6360.html
Good thing you like Medium Spiral Gray! Great looking ride, your mods are very well done.

I would agree on the DRM brake lines. Nothing wrong with a little overkill at that price.

Thanks for the info on the corners.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:51 PM
callie454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors on my '03Z. I'm running HPS pads and Russel SS lines. I had no reservation using the factory style banjo connectors that came on the hose ends. Here's a thread with some pretty pictures- http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...2-install.html

Regarding your question of whether or not the HPS pads stain the CCWs- the answer is No. I haven't experienced any staining whatsoever. Just the dust given off of the pads, that's it. I was running HPS pads on factory rotors with the CCWs prior to this. No issue.

Hope this helps
Old 07-25-2014, 06:00 PM
callie454
Pro

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by callie454
I recently installed Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors on my '03Z. I'm running HPS pads and Russel SS lines. I had no reservation using the factory style banjo connectors that came on the hose ends. Here's a thread with some pretty pictures- http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...2-install.html

Regarding your question of whether or not the HPS pads stain the CCWs- the answer is No. I haven't experienced any staining whatsoever. Just the dust given off of the pads, that's it. I was running HPS pads on factory rotors with the CCWs prior to this. No issue.

Hope this helps
Thanks. Have the HPS pads stained the rotors? I know that ceramic pads will.

Also, any issues with the Russel brake lines throwing codes? I know they have utilize the banjo fittings, however I also like how they use the block connectors.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:22 PM
Maxx_Z06
Safety Car

Received 277 Likes on 85 Posts
C5 COTM Coordinator

Same setup here...

Old 07-26-2014, 06:54 AM
callie454
Pro

Thanks. Have the HPS pads stained the rotors? I know that ceramic pads will.
Yeah, a bit. There's a brownish ring on the rotor where the pad makes contact. I'm considering a change. Might throw on a set of OEM Z06 pads... Thoughts?

Also, any issues with the Russel brake lines throwing codes? I know they have utilize the banjo fittings, however I also like how they use the block connectors.
I'll have to get back to you on that. I throw an occasional code due to 285 front and 305 rear tires. Not enough size difference, computer isn't happy.

Maxx_Z06- any staining with the Carbotech pads? What composition did you go with?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:58 AM
C7LOU
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 69 Posts

Hope this helps
I've been considering a big brake upgrade on my 03 Z, too. Did you have to get different caliper brackets or do the stock ones remain with the larger diameter rotors? Thanks.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Running DRM stainless lines.
Love them, zero issues.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 493 Likes on 420 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Yeah, a bit. There's a brownish ring on the rotor where the pad makes contact. I'm considering a change. Might throw on a set of OEM Z06 pads... Thoughts?

I'll have to get back to you on that. I throw an occasional code due to 285 front and 305 rear tires. Not enough size difference, computer isn't happy.

Maxx_Z06- any staining with the Carbotech pads? What composition did you go with?
Maxx went with the 1521 compound.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 07-26-2014, 10:58 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by olbear1962
Running DRM stainless lines.
Love them, zero issues.
The DRM brake lines are basically the Goodridge brake lines with AN fittings instead of the banjo fittings correct?

I also read that the DRM lines are longer so when the car is jacked and the wheels/rotors/calipers are suspended, they help prevent excess stress on the brake lines.

I was wondering if the Goodridge lines would throw more codes as they don't have the rubber coverings that the Russells do.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:23 PM
callie454
Pro

Originally Posted by C5LOU
I've been considering a big brake upgrade on my 03 Z, too. Did you have to get different caliper brackets or do the stock ones remain with the larger diameter rotors? Thanks.
The Baer kit comes with rear caliper relocator brackets. The fronts remain unchanged. Piece of cake.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:24 PM
callie454
Pro

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Maxx went with the 1521 compound.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
Sounds ideal.
PM me your best price please!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Top,

I just did Goodridge SS lines. They had banjo fittings and we're fine. The lines were longer then stock which made routing of the lines different/annoying to prevent contact with suspension components. In fact I insulated the lines with rubber hose temporarily as I didn't have time for proper testing prior to my recent month long excursion.

I chose SS for abrasion durability as a friend recently had a severed line causing failure of the brake system, which was not something I wanted to face on the trip. I chose these lines because they were not supposed to throw codes. If I did again I would chose lines that more matched the stock length. Banjo fittings allowed me to tailor the angles to direct the lines. 4000 miles, no codes.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I'm sure you've seen the various "ceramic vs. semi-metallic" brake pad threads and although I believe it comes down to personal preference, I do believe that the OEM GM AC Delco semi-metallics are the best match for the Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors if your objective is to keep them looking as good as possible. They may wear a little faster than other brands and they will dust, however the dust does not damage the paint or pit the polished CCW wheels. Forum member Evil Twin's Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors have over 90K miles on them and they look brand new.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Upgrade Questions

Old 07-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I'm sure you've seen the various "ceramic vs. semi-metallic" brake pad threads and although I believe it comes down to personal preference, I do believe that the OEM GM AC Delco semi-metallics are the best match for the Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors if your objective is to keep them looking as good as possible. They may wear a little faster than other brands and they will dust, however the dust does not damage the paint or pit the polished CCW wheels. Forum member Evil Twin's Baer Eradispeed +2 rotors have over 90K miles on them and they look brand new.
Not only do they take well to soft pads, they also stop better with more positive grab and no fade because they do not build up heat. Heat creates fade and warp.. obviously what I use causes no heat discoloration and actually polished the rotor surface.. These rotors are bling rotors, that why you buy them. I've been accused of having chrome plated rotors. My car has almost 100,000 miles on it so its not a garage queen, IM an old guy and not in the best of health, and this issue about brake dust is a joke. If you want a nice looking car then you have to invest the 1 minute and 30 seconds into dusting the wheels off, if that is too much trouble to insure you have the best possible stopping advantage then you are just plain lazy.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:01 PM
jlaw1313@comcast.net
Racer

[QUOTE=callie454;1587447829]Yeah, a bit. There's a brownish ring on the rotor where the pad makes contact. I'm considering a change. Might throw on a set of OEM Z06 pads... Thoughts?

Note the rear Z06 pads are the same part #19259589 as FE1 suspension per Voda1.

I tried a set of Hawk HPS pads and I also did not like the color of the rotors. When I installed the Eradispeed rotors I went with OEM pads for FE1 suspension as recommended many times by EvilTwin.
I drive this car like a daily driver with occasional spirited driving. The OEM pads work best for me. I wipe the wheels down once a week. My 04 coupe is garage kept.

Does any one know if the 04 Z06 pads are a semi-metallic compound?
Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=jlaw1313@comcast.net;1587450086]

Note the rear Z06 pads are the same part #19259589 as FE1 suspension per Voda1.

I tried a set of Hawk HPS pads and I also did not like the color of the rotors. When I installed the Eradispeed rotors I went with OEM pads for FE1 suspension as recommended many times by EvilTwin.
I drive this car like a daily driver with occasional spirited driving. The OEM pads work best for me. I wipe the wheels down once a week. My 04 coupe is garage kept.

Does any one know if the 04 Z06 pads are a semi-metallic compound?
I would think so because they list the same part number for the brake pads regardless of the trim type unless you drive a C6 Z06.

Mid-America:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...delco-643340-1

GM Parts House

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...t=FRONT%20PADS

http://store.gmpartshouse.com/parts/...nt=REAR%20PADS

My question is why is there a $100+ price difference if the Mid America pads are the same as the GM Parts House pads - AC Delco Semi-Metallic?

Quick Reply: Brake Upgrade Questions