Sponsored by:

What a bummer

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts
Default What a bummer

I'VE read all the post about the front licence plate cover, and for a brief time rode around with mine on, even though I live in a two plate state.
Rather than risk getting a ticket for that, I reverted back to putting the front licence plate back on.

I, like many don't like the idea of that front plate, but also don't like getting tickets.
Two days ago, I thought I had the solution too the problem.

Here in California, we need the plate, so like my other two vehicles that have personal plates, I felt it was time for the Vette.
I didn't want some stupid thing on the plate that few would know what it was, so after making my choice on the dmv web site, I submitted my request, and when it came time to pay, the site wouldn't except any of my credit cards.

I thought that a bit strange because I am nowhere near my limit on any of them.
The first picture is of the plate I ordered, and the second is how it would look on the car (with a slight modification.)

In California, many of the plates have some sort of art work on them ,issued by the dmv.
I felt(even though it wasn't a dmv issue) I would place the Corvette logo on the plate.
Finally, a plate I would be proud to show on the front of the car.
It was all to good to be true.
After several attempts at trying to pay on line, the following morning I called the dmv.

In the process of choosing a personal plate online, once you pick what you want on the plate, it lets you know if that plate is , or is not available.
Other combinations I tried all came up as unavailable, meaning that combination was already issued.
When I got to the "C 5" combination, it did not say the combination was not available, and took me to the page to order and pay.

I figured my new plates would be on their way.
Well when the site wouldn't take my payment, that is when I called dmv.

They informed me that the reason payment was denied is because two digits on a plate are strictly reserved for members of the state legislature vehicles.
What a bummer.
I was excited in the fact I would have a one of a kind plate on my Vette.

Well, back to the drawing board as they say.
Bob.
Attached Images     
Old 08-27-2014, 08:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,279 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That would have looked good, but wonder how understanding LEOs would be of a modified plate.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 AM
fedekz
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't modify the plate like that. Even if it's just C 5 spaced out enough to put something in there, don't do it. Technically they are state property and you don't own them, kinda like your physical license. At least that's how it is in my state.

With that being said, I'm a police officer and I wouldn't stop hardly anyone for not having a front plate. I live in a state that requires front plates, but I've never had one on my personal vehicle and have never been stopped. God forbid you get stopped, it likely isn't only for the front plate - it might be a reason to stop you to check for DUI etc., you would have to spill coffee all over my boots before I thought about writing a ticket for no front plate. Now modifying your license plate in any way, that's a different story - id stop anyone in a heartbeat for that and write a hefty ticket, and make them rip it off before they drive away. If they really obstructed their plate with a huge sticker id just impound their car, but people consider me a hard ***.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:28 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

People here in AZ would get the black Arizona Cardinals plate and put a black decal over the Cardinals logo. They would then have an all black plate. They started pulling people over for it and from what I gather it's a pretty hefty fine. Don't think I would modify your plate if I were you.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:50 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Yeah I wouldn't modify a license plate - in any way. Remember that there are properties on the plate that, along with the ID numbers and/or letters, identify it, like it's ability to refract light for example. All modifiying a plate is asking for is a fine. Sure there are people that put small stickers (like sports teams) and such on their plates, but why risk it?
Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

My C4 had a cover and in the year I had it (24k miles) I never once got hassled. My C5 came with a front plate and no cover, so I left it. I love the clean look of the cover, but I also don't care to risk it, either. If I had one, I would run it, but I'm not going to buy one and hope for no ticket.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:22 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if you're concerned about tickets/fines, I'm pretty sure you would get in more trouble by modifying the actual plate than you would by not running the front one at all

Get notified of new replies

To What a bummer

Quick Reply: What a bummer