Sponsored by:

First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Corvette Cote
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gear

I bought a 2000 Corvette Coupe and I absolutely love it but every once in a while I go to leave at a light and it kicks itself out of first gear ! it feels like I push it into first each time the same , does this happen to anyone else and why?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:17 PM
rlgood
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette Cote
I bought a 2000 Corvette Coupe and I absolutely love it but every once in a while I go to leave at a light and it kicks itself out of first gear ! it feels like I push it into first each time the same , does this happen to anyone else and why?
My 99 does the same, if I don't get into gear good. I've only had it a couple months, but I've gotten used to how it feels when it goes in all the way. If it doesn't, if u let out the clutch just a little it will normally go right in. The way I understand it this is pretty common.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Same here. Very annoying. Not ready for a new trans yet, and hope that would fix it. Never had that problem with the C3 Muncie. Loved the way those transmissions shifted. Not so on my 97 by a long shot. Progress?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:50 PM
pacat
Instructor

Default Shifter bushings

I had the same problem earlier this year. It ended up being the shifter bushings. A cheap and easy fix. Check out my post. I hope this helps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-bushings.html
Old 10-05-2014, 01:17 AM
Corvette Cote
4th Gear

Default First gear

I've only owned the car for a few days but now I'm finding if I double clutch just before I put it into first gear it seems to stay in fine .
Old 10-05-2014, 04:20 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

It's definitely not normal. Try aligning your shifter box first and replacing your rubber bushings as pacat suggests. Then I'd go ahead and change the tranny fluid. You should be good after that. If not, you may have more serious issues. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:31 AM
vpshockwave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got into the habit of putting it into first, taking it out, and pushing it back. I don't even know if it happens anymore but I do it anyway out of muscle memory.

Get notified of new replies

To First Gear

Quick Reply: First Gear