Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 bike rack solution!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Tricky's Zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way I would be anywhere near a car with that setup.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Dreams190
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a shot from the drivers view. Tough to get a great shot, but you can at least get an idea of how up and out of the way it is. It really doesn't block the view at all.

I tried mounting it on the trunk and roof last night. The angle of the roof line is a bit too steep and the crank can potentially hit the back window.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:12 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Seems like you can't use your windshield wiper with the rack in front.

Florida DMV law states:

Windshield Wiper: Your vehicle must have a windshield wiper in good working order for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield.

Windshields: Must be safety glass and may not be covered or treated with any material which has the effect of making the windshield reflective or in any way non-transparent. It must be free of any stickers not required by law.

Equipment Not Permitted
You may not have on or in your vehicle:

Red or blue emergency lights. These are for emergency and law enforcement vehicles only.
A siren, bell or whistle.
A very loud muffler or one that lets out smoke.
Signs, posters or stickers on the windshield or windows (except those required by law).
A television which the driver can see.
More than two spotlights, cowl or fender lights, fog lights (in front), or other extra lights (in front).
Headsets worn by driver while operating a vehicle.

If they don't even allow a sticker, I doubt they will allow your suction cups.

Last edited by laurent_zo6; 12-12-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:25 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
Seems like you can't use your windshield wiper with the rack in front.

Florida DMV law states:

Windshield Wiper: Your vehicle must have a windshield wiper in good working order for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield.

Windshields: Must be safety glass and may not be covered or treated with any material which has the effect of making the windshield reflective or in any way non-transparent. It must be free of any stickers not required by law.

Equipment Not Permitted
You may not have on or in your vehicle:

Red or blue emergency lights. These are for emergency and law enforcement vehicles only.
A siren, bell or whistle.
A very loud muffler or one that lets out smoke.
Signs, posters or stickers on the windshield or windows (except those required by law).
A television which the driver can see.
More than two spotlights, cowl or fender lights, fog lights (in front), or other extra lights (in front).
Headsets worn by driver while operating a vehicle.

If they don't even allow a sticker, I doubt they will allow your suction cups.
Those same laws also prohibit using a Bluetooth or other hands-free headset, but really, who cares?

OP: that's a clever setup, and I think it will work fine as long as you are aware of its limitations.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:33 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Those same laws also prohibit using a Bluetooth or other hands-free headset, but really, who cares?

OP: that's a clever setup, and I think it will work fine as long as you are aware of its limitations.
Yes, that's really who you want driving behind you in a downpour and he can't use his wiper blades.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:00 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Yes, that's really who you want driving behind you in a downpour and he can't use his wiper blades.
1) There's room for both the suction cup and the wiper blades to do their jobs, although maybe not in the photos shown

2) If it's going to storm, I'm sure he'll plan accordingly, and he probably wouldn't be taking his bike out anyway
Old 12-13-2014, 09:08 PM
Dreams190
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally somebody with some sense.

Yes, the wipers do still work (not that I'd be riding my bike in the rain anyway). Yes, I can still see out of the windshield. Yes, the bike is totally secure and not going to fly off. No, the suction cups are not going to damage my paint. Anyone else?
Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

You can lock the crank with a bungee cord.......
Old 12-14-2014, 02:39 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Yes, who cares about a crash causing a derailment and major explosion

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...ds-free-device

"The crash caused a derailment and major explosion — from the destruction of a rail car containing sodium chlorate — that could be heard miles away and injured four people including the driver. The incident remains under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, and we would be cautious to draw too many conclusions from the Baltimore County police report alone. That report, incidentally, includes the driver's claim that he "looked to the right and left and did not see anything" before attempting to cross the tracks, even though recovered surveillance camera video shows that he did not stop at the crossing.

Nevertheless, that the driver admits he was using his cellphone with a Bluetooth device offers one of the most high-profile demonstration yet that the problem of driver distraction from a cell phone is not fully addressed by the use of an earpiece, headset or similar technology. It's likely that the truck driver, John Alban Jr., 50, of Essex, who has been charged by police with negligent driving and a half-dozen other traffic violations, would have been paying closer attention to the task at hand if he had not been talking on his cell phone."
Old 12-14-2014, 04:48 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Yes, who cares about a crash causing a derailment and major explosion

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...ds-free-device

"The crash caused a derailment and major explosion — from the destruction of a rail car containing sodium chlorate — that could be heard miles away and injured four people including the driver. The incident remains under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, and we would be cautious to draw too many conclusions from the Baltimore County police report alone. That report, incidentally, includes the driver's claim that he "looked to the right and left and did not see anything" before attempting to cross the tracks, even though recovered surveillance camera video shows that he did not stop at the crossing.

Nevertheless, that the driver admits he was using his cellphone with a Bluetooth device offers one of the most high-profile demonstration yet that the problem of driver distraction from a cell phone is not fully addressed by the use of an earpiece, headset or similar technology. It's likely that the truck driver, John Alban Jr., 50, of Essex, who has been charged by police with negligent driving and a half-dozen other traffic violations, would have been paying closer attention to the task at hand if he had not been talking on his cell phone."
Research indicates that a cell phone conversation, whether by headset, integrated Bluetooth, or handset, is no more distracting than having a passenger in the vehicle. Drivers today are just awful at paying attention to the road in general, with or without a distraction. Further, it is completely legal in all 50 states to carry on a conversation via a Bluetooth interface that isn't worn by the driver (like a Parrot or one that came with the factory or aftermarket stereo), so your point is still moot.

However, from your responses so far, it would appear you're just here to pick fights and be contrary (not to mention unreasonably illogical), so congratulations on being the first guy to make my ignore list
Old 12-14-2014, 04:53 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Research indicates that a cell phone conversation, whether by headset, integrated Bluetooth, or handset, is no more distracting than having a passenger in the vehicle. Drivers today are just awful at paying attention to the road in general, with or without a distraction. Further, it is completely legal in all 50 states to carry on a conversation via a Bluetooth interface that isn't worn by the driver (like a Parrot or one that came with the factory or aftermarket stereo), so your point is still moot.

However, from your responses so far, it would appear you're just here to pick fights and be contrary (not to mention unreasonably illogical), so congratulations on being the first guy to make my ignore list
How old are you? On the ignore list . Did you go cry to mama also?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:28 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

How old are you? On the ignore list . Did you go cry to mama also?
rjw was completely correct in what he said

Last edited by racebum; 12-14-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:09 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Gotta do what you gotta do...

You're more likely to be the cause of another accident than actually cause one yourself. I'm sure there are plenty of gawkers looking at this setup while driving and not looking where they are going.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:36 PM
yosshimura
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump to an old thread... OP , how are the sea suckers holding up / how have they worked out?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:28 PM
stratovarious
Intermediate

I certify this to the end of the Cul de sac .
Has anyone gotten a 29" (wheel size) Mountain Bike into their luggage area?
Old 07-03-2018, 06:32 PM
stratovarious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dreams190

Here's a shot from the drivers view. Tough to get a great shot, but you can at least get an idea of how up and out of the way it is. It really doesn't block the view at all.

It doesn't look like it blocks the view much , but I worry about the 'suction cups' , scares me a bit....
Old 07-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Arvalo
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Brave. There’s no chance I’d ever use that on my Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 bike rack solution!!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:26 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Funny
Old 07-05-2018, 04:35 PM
gmanflying
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Really nice looking car but I’m not a fan of how the bike looks attached to the car that way. I’m a cyclist as well and looking for better ways to take my bike. I give you credit for a good effort but I’ll pass. Be careful.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Dixie Sasquatch
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Here in Florida they would ticket you for statute #316.2004. I wouldn't give ya a ticket cuz I got a vette too, but I have friends that would

Last edited by Dixie Sasquatch; 07-05-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 bike rack solution!!