Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So, what is wrong with buying new base shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:36 AM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So, what is wrong with buying new base shocks?

My 97 with 72kmi feels like at least maybe 1 rear shock is not up to task, and thinking it is time to replace them all. But from all I read I really don't see a big advantage to going to a stiffer shock. Sure it might feel good to tighten up the car with stiffer shocks, but I don't see how that would be an advantage for best handling on rough roads. The shock is suppose to match and dampen the spring, and my thought is GM would have done that, so I am hoping that new base shocks would be the best match for the stock springs. I have autocrossed many years in lots of different cars with stock shocks and never felt that stiffer would make the car faster or more predictable to drive. Seems like they would be fighting the springs not allowing the car to take a set in the turns. Wouldn't the softer set-up be faster than a stiff shock skipping off the bumps on the crap roads we have and be more comfortable?
Old 12-23-2014, 08:49 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Why not find a friend that has some upgraded shocks and ask him if you could drive his car to 'feel' any difference. I have C-6 Z06 shocks in my convertible and C-5 Z06 shocks in my coupe. There is a marked difference between the two, Neither is harsh, but the vert handles the road much much better. Both have C-6 Z06 sways.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

But also, my answer to your question is that there is nothing wrong with installing OEM or equivalent shocks.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:48 AM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by dadaroo
But also, my answer to your question is that there is nothing wrong with installing OEM or equivalent shocks.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:18 AM
REDHOTS
Racer

I would also assume running lighter than stock wheels/tires would require less shock resistance?
I've only put a few hundred miles on the car, so I have no idea what stock new shocks feel like.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 12-23-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 11:56 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Funny how my PM box has been filled with this question lately.
Stiffer shocks give you a stiffer ride, but increase all out driving performance....As I have said thousands of times in my 14 years here. EVERYTHING is a trade off
If you are not going full bore on a road course there is no need to sacrifice a good street performance ride. The OEM SHOCKS are generally good for 100k unless a shock physically fails. Which is rare.
I talk to lots of people ( especially older people that are disappointed in purchasing a stiffer more performance shock..They tell me there car rides harder with the new shocks ,then with the old shocks..
In many cases there was nothing wrong with the old shocks.
The nice thing about the C5 is that it is very easy to personalize it to your own taste...but Remer the C5 came out of the box with a superior design to begin with...vendors offer all types of enhancement to an already well defined sports car..Many people buy into the notion that because an after market product is offered, it must be good. The Z06 was designed for the track racing enthuziast, it was never designed as a street cruiser.
If you are 65 years old and never want to see a track..and want a good handling sport car with street defined agrees I've handling... the OEM shocks are the right choice..problem is many people don't want a stock C5, and want to brag about the enhancement.."Oh...I have Z06 shocks, " Oh I have ceramic Brakes"
( AND IN THEIR MIND... they are thinking...it was better when it was stock )
I'm not putting down modifying your car...I'm saying make sure that you are listening to the right person. And that you will be happy with the outcome
Old 12-23-2014, 12:30 PM
I dream of vettes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently upgraded to the C6 Z06 shocks on my 00 coupe with 80k on the clock. The ride is noticeably rougher. However, the car handles much much better. I attribute part of it to the fact the original shocks were done, but mostly to the selection of shock.

To answer your question, there is noting wrong with replacing your worn shocks with the oem replacements. It really come down to what your personal preference is and how you use the car.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:32 PM
31coupe
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Any suggestions

I noticed that my original shocks are leaking and need replacing. The dealer wants a lot to replace with orginals but I am 70 and just want a nice ride without spending a bunch 500.00 a shock seems crazy..any suggestions. And Merry Christmas

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Funny how my PM box has been filled with this question lately.
Stiffer shocks give you a stiffer ride, but increase all out driving performance....As I have said thousands of times in my 14 years here. EVERYTHING is a trade off
If you are not going full bore on a road course there is no need to sacrifice a good street performance ride. The OEM SHOCKS are generally good for 100k unless a shock physically fails. Which is rare.
I talk to lots of people ( especially older people that are disappointed in purchasing a stiffer more performance shock..They tell me there car rides harder with the new shocks ,then with the old shocks..
In many cases there was nothing wrong with the old shocks.
The nice thing about the C5 is that it is very easy to personalize it to your own taste...but Remer the C5 came out of the box with a superior design to begin with...vendors offer all types of enhancement to an already well defined sports car..Many people buy into the notion that because an after market product is offered, it must be good. The Z06 was designed for the track racing enthuziast, it was never designed as a street cruiser.
If you are 65 years old and never want to see a track..and want a good handling sport car with street defined agrees I've handling... the OEM shocks are the right choice..problem is many people don't want a stock C5, and want to brag about the enhancement.."Oh...I have Z06 shocks, " Oh I have ceramic Brakes"
( AND IN THEIR MIND... they are thinking...it was better when it was stock )
I'm not putting down modifying your car...I'm saying make sure that you are listening to the right person. And that you will be happy with the outcome
Old 12-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nothing wrong with the OEM standard shocks. I do not track my car and have the base shocks on the car - they serve me very well. The suggestion by Phanni is a good one - if you can find someone that has upgrade their shocks already and can go for a drive in their car, it could really help you make up your mind on what you want on yours.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

What happens very often is that people change their shocks to stiffer track-oriented shocks but keep the base C5 springs. This is not conducive to a well handling car. Shocks need to be matched to the springs. If your shocks are too stiff for your springs, they will overcome the spring and your ride will be bone jarring. If your springs are too stiff for your shocks, the shocks will be unable to dampen the springs force and may either fail prematurely or simply not be able to do the job they were designed to do.

A stiffer shock is not always the best choice for best handling. There is nothing wrong with replacing your shocks with OEM base shocks.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:25 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I was basically "sold" on stiffer shocks as well. I replaced my base C5 vert suspension with C5 Z06 sway bars and Koni FSD shocks. I also added larger CCW wheels/tires. Overall, I got the experience I was looking for in that the car definitely feels more planted on the road. However I could immediately feel the difference as I felt every crack in the road with the Koni FSDs. The car is definitely more planted, however the ride is not as soft as it was with my stock OEM shocks.

BTW - I have a set of OEM shocks with only 10K miles on them (before the Koni FSD swap) from my 2004 if you're looking for a used set.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:26 PM
dbarrym
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lrselkirk
I noticed that my original shocks are leaking and need replacing. The dealer wants a lot to replace with orginals but I am 70 and just want a nice ride without spending a bunch 500.00 a shock seems crazy..any suggestions. And Merry Christmas
I think you might be off on your pricing - the most common aftermarket shocks, like Bilsteins and the like - are about $400-500 a set, not each. It's not hard to install them, even the local pep boys quotes less than $200 to install a set of C5 shocks.

Coilovers and multi-adjustable racing shocks can run that high (or more, each corner) but they aren't being talked about here.

IIRC, forum member/sponsor Cultrag Performance lists stock C5 base shocks for around $55 each.

And Merry Christmas as well!

Barry
Old 12-23-2014, 06:43 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Originally Posted by dbarrym
I think you might be off on your pricing - the most common aftermarket shocks, like Bilsteins and the like - are about $400-500 a set, not each. It's not hard to install them, even the local pep boys quotes less than $200 to install a set of C5 shocks.

Coilovers and multi-adjustable racing shocks can run that high (or more, each corner) but they aren't being talked about here.

IIRC, forum member/sponsor Cultrag Performance lists stock C5 base shocks for around $55 each.

Barry
I wish they were $55. I thought I saw the price at $125?
Old 12-23-2014, 07:01 PM
31coupe
Pro

Default Thank you all for the imput

Just to add a little info, my car is a 2003 and has 33000 on it. The problem with the shocks might be when I got the car it still had the shock stuffers in and that was at 26000 miles...poor folks who had no idea why it was such a ruff ride. But I think that is why they are leaking due to them not being removed. If I got to an after market shock will they work with the special ride system, anything electrical need to be changed.... really can't tell the difference between sport and touring ride anyway. Is there anything I am missing something that I haven't thought about? 4 or 5 hundred for all for installed sounds good. Any brand name you can suggest would be nice. Thank you all again for your imput.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 PM
dbarrym
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I wish they were $55. I thought I saw the price at $125?
Actually $119 Guess I didn't IIRC!!

Seriously, I did see stock base C5 shocks listed at $55 somewhere recently, but do not remember the source. I do see a few new C6 Z06 sets on "that online auction site" for as low as $285/set with free shipping right now. So you don't have to pay stealership (dealer) prices if you don't want.

Barry
Old 12-23-2014, 07:32 PM
31coupe
Pro

Default Shock price

Went to the Cultrag site and the rear shocks ar 633.00 each and the front are 300.00 plus each. Is that right it's a 50 th anniversary edition with that special suspension.

Originally Posted by dbarrym

Barry
Old 12-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Check the sway bar end links. Yours are made of plastic and if they are original replace them with newer C5 or C6 units. You may not need shocks at all.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:27 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I would also assume running lighter than stock wheels/tires would require less shock resistance?
I've only put a few hundred miles on the car, so I have no idea what stock new shocks feel like.
Shocks are designed to dampen the movement of the body into the suspension. The tires and wheels are basically just along for the ride and provide an interface between the suspension and the road. The weigh of the wheel and tire should not be a real factor in selecting a shock rating.

Tire selection can have an effect on ride quality like shock selection.

Last edited by dadaroo; 12-24-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To So, what is wrong with buying new base shocks?

Quick Reply: So, what is wrong with buying new base shocks?