Sponsored by:

Is there anyway to set the alarm without locking the doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:39 AM
calbrit561
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is there anyway to set the alarm without locking the doors

I have a convertible and i am afraid that my top will be cut by someone trying to get into the cars as it has happened before. I just want to set my alarm without locking the doors because it my top will be cut by thr time the alarm goes off the other way.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:45 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I don't think so, I was reading my OM manual just this week on the ins and outs for arming the security feature. There may be a work around that somone more knowledgable than me that can help. U may have to get an aftermarket alarm. Good luck
Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I would think you could disconnect or jumper (not sure which right now) the door lock switch circuits so the door module tells the serial bus to the BCM the doors are locked. If this can't be done so easily it may be we would have to do an internal mod in the door module which would be more difficult to figure out.

I helped one person to do a temporary fix at the A-pillar connector when his latch switch failed and his chime was going off making it think the door was still open. He later fixed it by replacing the latch/switch. Not sure if the same trick would work or something a little different would be needed.

Need to look at door closed versus locked circuit design. Need to also see what sets off the alarm or if that is the only thing.

Not at home but I will look at the schematics later.

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-09-2015 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Your best bet would be to put a motion detector alarm inside the car if that's what you are trying to accomplish. It could be a portable type.
If they cut the top, they can't open the door or trunk without the alarm going off. Unless you have something lying in plain sight in the seat, I'm not sure why anyone would cut the top to get in. There's not much stuff to steal on a C5, and thieves know the alarm will go off.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:12 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Your best bet would be to put a motion detector alarm inside the car if that's what you are trying to accomplish. It could be a portable type.
If they cut the top, they can't open the door or trunk without the alarm going off. Unless you have something lying in plain sight in the seat, I'm not sure why anyone would cut the top to get in. There's not much stuff to steal on a C5, and thieves know the alarm will go off.
Some thieves break in to get what they can't see (in the glove compartment and under seats) like guns and IDs. Not too long ago a couple guys went through an apartment complex here and broke out the side windows on every car just to steal hidden credentials for identity theft and any cash - guns were a bonus. One thing that might help is to keep compartments empty and open if parking in public, but not 100%.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've not seen anyone post about making it to where the alarm could be triggered without locking the doors first. Not saying it can't be done, just haven't heard of someone coming up with a way to do it.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:32 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Just set the alarm and unlock the door before you close it. Manually, That is how I test mine.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:52 AM
hoosiervette
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16

I have a bad actuator on my drivers door. It doesn't always lock when I hit the remote, but it does set the alarm. I guess you could disable the actuators and still have your alarm.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:03 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Choreo
Some thieves break in to get what they can't see (in the glove compartment and under seats) like guns and IDs. Not too long ago a couple guys went through an apartment complex here and broke out the side windows on every car just to steal hidden credentials for identity theft and any cash - guns were a bonus. One thing that might help is to keep compartments empty and open if parking in public, but not 100%.
Then I guess having the alarm set wouldn't keep them from breaking out the windows. Next step is leave the windows down too. My feeling is that if you leave the door unlocked you're inviting the easy thieves. You can have the top cut or the windows broken out without triggering the alarm.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by calbrit561
I have a convertible and i am afraid that my top will be cut by someone trying to get into the cars as it has happened before. I just want to set my alarm without locking the doors because it my top will be cut by thr time the alarm goes off the other way.
If you're intent on unlocking the doors, try Mr. Bill's method. It sounds reasonable
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I have looked at the alarm design. I have never used mind so I needed to look into it. The theft system is divided into two parts;

VTD- Vehicle theft deterrent system which requires the correct key and key resistor to start the car.

CTD- Compartment theft deterrent system (lights and horn alarm) which is only activated if you open a door or the rear compartment/truck when armed.

Did not see Mr. Bills post #7 when I did this. Sounds like you could do that on one door when you get out. Of course I once had a car broken into from the passenger side.

Last edited by dadaroo; 01-10-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:55 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

In thinking about it, you should try what Mr. Bill recommended and see if you can also unlock the passenger side door. Should be time to do it. Would be interested if it works. I would try it but my car is at one of my warehouses.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:34 AM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I would look at after market alarms. As for cutting the top, I can get into a C5 in about 30 secs with a coat hanger wire. With the wire I can unlock the door which disables the alarm. There's really no need to cut the top. Most car thieves can easily see that too.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there anyway to set the alarm without locking the doors

Quick Reply: Is there anyway to set the alarm without locking the doors