Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" Foam - Will it work as new seat faom??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:11 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3" Foam - Will it work as new seat faom??

I wanted to pose this question to you guys that are much more knowledgeable than I am. I found this on clearance at wally world and couldn't pass it up( it shows a car on the wrapping). I bought the new seat covers from Interior Innovations and am waiting for my seat heaters to come in before I begin this re-cover project. This sheet of foam is about 36"x 48"x3" and it feels pretty resilient. If nothing else, I figured I could use it for reinforcement and just add this new foam to the old. I bought two of these for $15 each and figured it was a pretty decent score. I also plan to install new seat heater pads and I really want the upholstery to look fully filled out and not wrinkled, so what do y'all think? Will this foam work in place of my old foam or would it be better to simply use this foam as an addition? Thanks for your help!!
Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

In my opinion you will have a hard time getting the correct shape by cutting your own.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Don't waste your time... seat foam is molded specifically to shape the seat covers.. it also has molded in Velcro strips to give the sectional pillow placement. the seat foam is made of a very dense foam designed to handed daily abuse.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default seat foam

look at this thread and it will show you what you would be dealing with.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-in-stock.html
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM
bellssn690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
In my opinion you will have a hard time getting the correct shape by cutting your own.
I figured this would be my biggest problem but thought I could make it work.

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Don't waste your time... seat foam is molded specifically to shape the seat covers.. it also has molded in Velcro strips to give the sectional pillow placement. the seat foam is made of a very dense foam designed to handed daily abuse.
I admit I was a little unsure about this foam but I figured for the cost I could give it a try. Looking deeper into this, I can see where even IF I can get it cut/shaped right it might not be the correct density and I'd end up having to redo it all over anyway. I would much rather do it right the first time!!

Originally Posted by zachaeous
look at this thread and it will show you what you would be dealing with.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-in-stock.html
Wow, I wish I had seen this before I bought the other foam. I'll see if I still have the receipt and take it back if I do. It does seem as though I'll have much more trouble making this work than its worth.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:45 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by bellssn690
I figured this would be my biggest problem but thought I could make it work.

I admit I was a little unsure about this foam but I figured for the cost I could give it a try. Looking deeper into this, I can see where even IF I can get it cut/shaped right it might not be the correct density and I'd end up having to redo it all over anyway. I would much rather do it right the first time!!

Wow, I wish I had seen this before I bought the other foam. I'll see if I still have the receipt and take it back if I do. It does seem as though I'll have much more trouble making this work than its worth.
It'd be best to buy new foam from a vendor that has the correct foam. Even then it's a challenge to get all the wrinkles out. Do it right the first time, and take that stuff back to walmart.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:03 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Must have the Velcro strip bonded to foam...when installing new seat covers. When adjusting seat cover make sure to always hold the Velcro in place or it can be stripped out of the foam....now you have a serious issue. The replacement foam is about $270- for both seats. Really not that expensive. Good luck
Old 01-12-2015, 11:34 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

listen to evil-twin or you will regret it.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
There are times when going cheap is not the best idea and this is one of them.

Get notified of new replies

To 3" Foam - Will it work as new seat faom??

Quick Reply: 3" Foam - Will it work as new seat faom??