Mold/Mildew stained Tan convertible top wont clean up- Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Amazing waterproofing product

Originally Posted by Blueleader
I bought more 303, I found it at West Marine. Quart for $29 bucks. Good price.
It rains almost everyday in April. ''April showers bring May flowers''.......
Cocoa Beach Florida. MY 15yr OLD TOP LOOKS BRAND NEW.

I apply every 3 months here in Florida...stored outside.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

I did the entire top with 50/50 mixture. I had been told to apply it when top had been in the sun for awhile. A boat detailer at the marina told me to just let it sit - no rubbing. And then use 303 Convertible top cleaner and then dry it in the sun. Apply the Fabric Guard to a dry top. It was a mess being stored with a cover. I didnt see the mold/mildew for awhile.
Broke my heart. Now its back to normal.

303 vs. RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Cleaner & Protectant - YouTube
Very good video. 303 is the winner.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

Default I used 303 instead

Originally Posted by UM Rebel
Oxyclean and laundry detergent dilute solution soft cloth or sponge.

after I found Fabric Guard by 303, its renewed the top and is looking new. Thanks for your idea.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:09 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

I wetted down the top and put a mixture of straight purple power and clorox bathroom cleaner on, and scrubbed the bad spots with a toothbrush.

Sounds kind of harsh, but it worked and looks like $mil. Finished up with 303.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

No. After you try the simple green....look that one on Google. Not really a deep cleaner withy only moderate results. I say , save the money and follow my instruction. The acrylic fabric is tough and the diluted bleach is on it for a short time. Short time.
And then you condition the top with 303 Fabric Guard. Problem over.
Are you saying simple green only achieves moderate results?
Go back to post #57.
I beg to differ with you.
That is not moderate, that is ultimate results.

Bob.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:05 AM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

rain stopped for awhile. tried the 50/50 mix. wet but looking very good, no more spots. kept car wet while doing and then used a spray speed wax on paint and dried. may be a few day before top is dry to see results, calling for more rain, heavy. will post the results. going to use the 303 after rain. must be dry for 24hrs. after use. have used it many times on boats t-top with great results.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:08 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Default Mold and mildew stain thread

Originally Posted by calguy
Are you saying simple green only achieves moderate results?
Go back to post #57.
I beg to differ with you.
That is not moderate, that is ultimate results.

Bob.
Nice photos but you dont mention the subject of this thread - Mold and Mildew stains. Also you are in California and the state of Cal lists Simple Green as a toxic product. So does Canada. Lots of data on internet speaks of all kinds of problems with inhalation, skin exposure, and I invite you to Google it and see the many blogs on problems associate with use. And that it is not a 'Green' product - marketing a product with the word Green means nothing if the MDSD sheet says it is hazardous. I do note that Vinegar/Dawn solution beats out the Simple green in tests for cleaning.
From Goggle search>
''reviewing the product on the Simple Green’s website, I would think that the product was safe to use. Some of the positives of the product were that it was a safer cleaner and degreaser, was non-toxic with a biodegradable formula, and it was a powerful all-purpose cleaning. But when Simple Green says that their product is “safer,” what do they mean?
This product may be “safer” but is it safe? One problem that Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can lead to is the damage of red blood cells. The product also is a possible human carcinogen and is banned in supplies that are certified by Green Seal or EcoLogo. Along with these hazardous problems, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, “disinfectant products cannot make green claims because they contain registered pesticides.”
NOTE> Simple Green was caught by State of Cal not registering all the chemicals in the formula. Some which are banned in Europe.
EWG says-
Simple Green Concentrated All-Purpose Cleaner
See: General Purpose Brand: Simple Green Company

Asthma/Respiratory -Some Concern
Skin Allergies & Irritation -Some Concern
Developmental & Reproductive Toxicity -Some Concern
Cancer -Some Concern
Environment -Moderate Concern

How does it rate: Scores for similar cleaners ranged from A to F. D+ Search for a better General Purpose Cleaner
Top Scoring Factors: May contain ingredients with potential for Government enforceable restrictions; digestive system effects; blood-related effects
Ingredient Disclosure: poor
Green Certified:NO
Product ingredients
Known Ingredients
Ingredient Health, Environment,
and Disclosure Concerns Score - POOR
2-BUTOXYETHANOL High Concern: digestive system effects, blood-related effects; Some Concern: general systemic/organ effects, cancer, nervous system effects, respiratory effects, skin irritation/allergies/damage, developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects, damage to vision
F
COLORS High Concern: Government enforceable restrictions; Disclosure Concern: non-specific ingredient
F
TETRAPOTASSIUM PYROPHOSPHATE High Concern: general ecotoxicity
D
FRAGRANCE Some Concern: skin irritation/allergies/damage, acute aquatic toxicity, nervous system effects, respiratory effects, biodegradation; Disclosure Concern: non-specific ingredient
D
ELEMENTAL PHOSPHORUS No data, some concern; Disclosure Concern: non-specific ingredient
MIXED ALCOHOL ETHOXYLATE No data, some concern; Disclosure Concern: non-specific ingredient
ALCOHOL ETHOXYLATES (C9-11, 4-8EO) Some Concern: cancer, developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects, damage to DNA, respiratory effects, nervous system effects, digestive system effects, acute aquatic toxicity, skin irritation/allergies/damage, damage to vision etc. etc.

According to Green Med Info, the chemical's effects include:
"Inhalation: ... Symptoms may include sore throat, coughing, headache, nausea and shortness of breath ... Skin Contact: May cause irritation with redness and pain. May be absorbed through the skin with possible systemic effects. Eye Contact: Vapors are irritating and may produce immediate pain, redness and tearing. Splashes can cause severe pain, stinging, swelling. Chronic Exposure: ... [C]an cause damage to the liver, kidneys, lymphoid system, blood and blood-forming organs."
> I will stick to Dawn and vinegar.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:27 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

"Blue", one could say that about any household cleaner.
I checked the pros and cons regarding dawn, and it has some very bad qualities also.
Google it's toxicity levels, and like all cleaners, probably shouldn't be used.
One interesting comment regarding dawn was, if it is used to kill weeds, how can it be safe for the environment, or for people to come in contact with it?
Over the many years I have been using household cleaners, I have had no adverse effects,
Seeing the results of what simple green does to my convertible top, I'll continue to recommend it to any one to clean their top.

Bob.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:35 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

I Google it, I did not see any contradictions for Dawn, we use Dawn Free & Gentle dishwashing liquid it is dye-free and hypoallergenic and biodegradable.
From the Internet:
Dawn (brand)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dawn

Dishwashing Liquid
Owner Procter & Gamble
Country United States
Introduced 1973[1]
Markets Worldwide
Website www.dawn-dish.com
Dawn is a brand of dishwashing liquid owned by Procter & Gamble. Introduced in 1973,[1] it is the best-selling brand of dishwashing liquid in the United States.[2] Besides being used for dishwashing purposes, Dawn products are also used to remove grease from other items, such as animal fat spilled onto highways,[3] and oil on animals, such as during the Exxon Valdez, BP and Deepwater Horizon oil spills.[4]

I see Simple Green was rejected by the EPA for the oil spill cleanup. Used only Dawn,
the best product to use when cleaning animals that have been affected by oil spills.[2][5] International Bird Rescue researched multiple cleaning agents, looking for one that would be "least traumatizing" and settled on a 10% solution of Dawn.

That being that....this is about Mold and Mildew remover. Simple Green wont do that.

****The use of Dawn on the car is to remove the old wax or polish to get to a surface to clay bar and then put a protective coating - I recommend Rejex.
Or any Carnauba wax (that is a lot of work). Rejex goes on in mins and comes off easier than any other product. Just to be clear....mold and mildew is removed in 15 mins with a 50/50 bleach and water mix. Then apply top conditioner, I prefer 303 Fabric Guard. Eazy pezy.
Yes Bob, Simple Green is just fine for the usual day to day accumulation of dirt or bird crap on the convertible top. And as long as you keep that Vette looking like the photos, we are brothers under the skin...jus dont ever use it on painted surfaces.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Originally Posted by dleibman
rain stopped for awhile. tried the 50/50 mix. wet but looking very good, no more spots. kept car wet while doing and then used a spray speed wax on paint and dried. may be a few day before top is dry to see results, calling for more rain, heavy. will post the results. going to use the 303 after rain. must be dry for 24hrs. after use. have used it many times on boats t-top with great results.
Excellent. I had said to put a tiny bit of Vaseline on the threads- but I used a weatherstrip conditioner called Krylox, by Dupont. Using it for years and is the best product for the Florida sun and salty air.

Vaseline is just fine for the short time of 15 mins to soak the 50/50 mixture into the mold/mildew. I am a type A and always do the top tier approach even when its not necessary. Xwfe said that.....

With storm Alberto approaching and dumping tons of rain for 3or4 days - you and I can chill and watch TV, Indy 500 and dilly dily
Old 05-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Good thinking and I advise you to find a marina that has a quality Sail and canvas shop - let them look it over. Black is tricky and
I would not put a bleach product on it. My detailer uses a product by Biokleen called BAC-OUT stain and odor remover. BIOCLEANHOME.COM
The 303 Marine/recreational - FABRIC GUARD product I used is keeping the problem I had under
control. Next step is a paint made for outdoor fabric.
I like Simply Spray outdoor fabric paint, waterproof and UV protectant.
simplyspray.com I used the spray on boat cushions and bimini top canvas and after 3 years looks great. Made the Vett top look new.
If you want to use bleach products to remove the mold/mildew- cover the threads with a light coating of armor all. I used Duponts Krytox when I do mine and its also great for all the weatherstripping that I apply it to once a year. Keeps it brand new for the last 18 yrs.
Reminder_
Old 05-27-2018, 08:09 AM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

[QUOTE=JR-01;1589242412]http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-con...e-cleaner.html

I've used the Meguiars. It worked well to clean the top but I wasn't dealing with mold.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:20 AM
JimHarris4
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Agreed

Used Rejex on all our cars and daughters' cars for years. Great shine and lasts longer than others.
I use Raggfop to protect my vert top- happy to see it beading up after a wash.
The following users liked this post:
Blueleader (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 09:32 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

Default Good stuff

[QUOTE=Time for a C-5;1597282640]
Originally Posted by JR-01
http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-con...e-cleaner.html

I've used the Meguiars. It worked well to clean the top but I wasn't dealing with mold.

I really like Mequiars too. They also make a great tire cleaner/shine. Doesn't lookl like melted candy.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:48 PM
dleibman
Drifting

finally stopped raining for awhile and sun came out and dried the top. looks like new with the 50/50 mix. would tell everyone this is the way to go. wish I had taken before and after photos for all to see.

close up of top
Old 05-27-2018, 06:26 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

That looks great, nice job.
303 will give it waterproofing and protect against the sun. I love that color!
Old 05-28-2018, 06:35 AM
dleibman
Drifting

That looks great, nice job.
303 will give it waterproofing and protect against the sun. I love that color!
as soon as the rain stops for a few days will use the 303, have used it years on my boats t-top. great stuff. thanks for the kind remarks.

Get notified of new replies

To Mold/Mildew stained Tan convertible top wont clean up- Help

Old 06-09-2018, 04:10 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

back to cleaning the top......this is the third attempt at removing the stains, I know I can nuke it with mold remover and it will take out the stains and I have done this on other convertibles I have owned . I have had convertibles constantly for the last 30 yrs... but I want to go easy first.

so far soap and water, meguiars cleaner, Griots top cleaner and I have not moved the stains yet...

this is it dry, its harder to see dry

so I went to target today and they had no simple green, I bought shout and a gallon of Clorox

so I used the horse hair brush and gave 3 applications of shout....30 minutes soak time

and this is it when its still wet after the washing

I couldn't find simple green......so that's next then the 50/50 bleach

I have ragg top and 303 top cleaner on the shelf. so next time I wash the car I will go after it again

Last edited by bobs77vet; 06-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

I used a 50 -50 bleach and water for 20 mins then washed it using 303 Top cleaner. Dried in the sun and I applied Fabric convertible top spray from 303. Water off a ducks back now and it looks fantastic. Brand new. It was really bad and I tried a cornucopia of products to no avail.I bought the convertible top kit from 303 on Amazon for $17.00 plus $5.95 FEDX. Really glad I didnt dye it. Counter guy at Ecklers told me most use 303. So I did.

Do it the easy way with 50 - 50 bleach and water, for about 15/20 mins and its done.
Then apply 303 and you will not see the ''spots'' you have in the photos never again. Keep this simple.
AND protect the threads with a little tiny pit of Vaseline or Krytox. I apply it with my finger......

Last edited by Blueleader; 06-09-2018 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-11-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:50 PM
Blueleader
Instructor

Also check out the AutoGeek.net by clicking on the
banner for them - over on the right hand side of this page. Under CAR CARE. If you buy, you get a 10% discount at check-out by using
'Corvette Forum' in the code section. I bought the first bottle of 303 from them. Had it in 2 days FedX. Great price too!

Do the 50 - 50 bleach method and when dry, spray the fabric conditioner and water will bead up from now on with periodic applications, 6 months here in fla.

Quick Reply: Mold/Mildew stained Tan convertible top wont clean up- Help