Sponsored by:

[Z06] Backup camera wiring for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Sluggo42
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Backup camera wiring for dummies

So I got a 5" monitor and a license plate frame camera. Total expense, about $60 or so, all from Amazon.

I have a nice single din kenwood Bluetooth that is fantastic both with radio, and especially the phone is the best Bluetooth phone ever.

I stuck the monitor basically up against the ashtray which isn't ever used, by peeling off the tape backing from the little mounting bracket, and going to the right edge. A little downward pressure, and it's stuck. I plugged in the yellow video extension cable on, and added about 10 feet of red/black wire with butt connections to the red/black wire, and put some heat shrink over them just in case, and ran it down the center console under the carpet. Then veered off to one side behind the pass seat, over the bump and all the way to the back under/ behind carpet.

I unscrewed the 4 round carpet retainer screw things, and pulled the carpet away to get to the back "tub".

I drilled a 1/2 " hole and pushed all the wires through, behind the license plate.

With a #15 torx driver, I removed the 4 screws that holds the license plate and the backup lights bracket. The bulbs come out with a quick depression of the "lock" tab, and a short quarter turn. I then set the whole assembly aside.

On the right hand backup bulb "green wire", I attached a "#18-20" splice, and about a foot of red wire from the splice.
On the left hand bulb "black wire", I attached another splice, and a foot of red/black wire.

((The "splice" is a blue plastic piece with two tunnels, a small slotted metal blade in the center, and a wrap-around snapping lock. The unit fits over a wire that you want to "splice" into, and has a half chamber that you insert a short length of wire into. When both wires are in desired position within the splice, a firm squeeze with a small pliers on top of the metal blade allows it to slice the wire insulation of both wires and make contact with the wires. After the blade is squeezed in, you close the piece and snap the lock shut, and now the little short length wire is now your end to make connections with.))

I took the red sides of the wires from the camera and monitor and twisted them together and squished them inside one end of a butt connector, then inserted and squished the lead coming from the (right bulb) "green wire" splicer.

I then took both black wires from the (camera and the monitor) and joined them with the lead from the left bulb "black wire" splicer with a butt connector.

I then fed the freshly wired camera "plug", and the yellow video plug (from the monitor) out the small space next to the license plate light. (Above the assembly)

(((Prior to each of these wire butt connections, I slid a piece of "heat shrink" up one side of the wire, which I slid back over the completed connections and shrunk tight with a bic lighter.)))

I then attached the camera/plate holder, and license plate, to the backup light/plate bracket. I plugged in the video cable, and the power plug into the backup camera pigtail, and re-installed both backup bulbs into the assembly.

Taking care to feed all wires into the void as I placed the entire assembly back into place, I screwed the unit down with the 4 torx screws, making sure no wires get pinched anywhere.

(I needed to use a dremel tool on the frame to create a small slot for the camera pigtail wire to fit under, to avoid pinching)

This all took about 1/2 of an hour. So I got everything cleaned up and jumped into the car to test it. I turned the key and the car wouldn't start, as the battery had died.

*** sigh ***

So out it came, took the Prius to buy a new battery. (I know, Prius hehe)

Anyways, installed the new battery, started the car, and slid it into reverse.

BAM! Perfect picture with some real cool alignment lines. I backed up and put it into first and poof, picture off.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 AM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluggo42
So I got a 5" monitor and a license plate frame camera. Total expense, about $60 or so, all from Amazon.

I have a nice single din kenwood Bluetooth that is fantastic both with radio, and especially the phone is the best Bluetooth phone ever.

I stuck the monitor basically up against the ashtray which isn't ever used, by peeling off the tape backing from the little mounting bracket, and going to the right edge. A little downward pressure, and it's stuck. I plugged in the yellow video extension cable on, and added about 10 feet of red/black wire with butt connections to the red/black wire, and put some heat shrink over them just in case, and ran it down the center console under the carpet. Then veered off to one side behind the pass seat, over the bump and all the way to the back under/ behind carpet.

I unscrewed the 4 round carpet retainer screw things, and pulled the carpet away to get to the back "tub".

I drilled a 1/2 " hole and pushed all the wires through, behind the license plate.

With a #15 torx driver, I removed the 4 screws that holds the license plate and the backup lights bracket. The bulbs come out with a quick depression of the "lock" tab, and a short quarter turn. I then set the whole assembly aside.

On the right hand backup bulb "green wire", I attached a "#18-20" splice, and about a foot of red wire from the splice.
On the left hand bulb "black wire", I attached another splice, and a foot of red/black wire.

((The "splice" is a blue plastic piece with two tunnels, a small slotted metal blade in the center, and a wrap-around snapping lock. The unit fits over a wire that you want to "splice" into, and has a half chamber that you insert a short length of wire into. When both wires are in desired position within the splice, a firm squeeze with a small pliers on top of the metal blade allows it to slice the wire insulation of both wires and make contact with the wires. After the blade is squeezed in, you close the piece and snap the lock shut, and now the little short length wire is now your end to make connections with.))

I took the red sides of the wires from the camera and monitor and twisted them together and squished them inside one end of a butt connector, then inserted and squished the lead coming from the (right bulb) "green wire" splicer.

I then took both black wires from the (camera and the monitor) and joined them with the lead from the left bulb "black wire" splicer with a butt connector.

I then fed the freshly wired camera "plug", and the yellow video plug (from the monitor) out the small space next to the license plate light. (Above the assembly)

(((Prior to each of these wire butt connections, I slid a piece of "heat shrink" up one side of the wire, which I slid back over the completed connections and shrunk tight with a bic lighter.)))

I then attached the camera/plate holder, and license plate, to the backup light/plate bracket. I plugged in the video cable, and the power plug into the backup camera pigtail, and re-installed both backup bulbs into the assembly.

Taking care to feed all wires into the void as I placed the entire assembly back into place, I screwed the unit down with the 4 torx screws, making sure no wires get pinched anywhere.

(I needed to use a dremel tool on the frame to create a small slot for the camera pigtail wire to fit under, to avoid pinching)

This all took about 1/2 of an hour. So I got everything cleaned up and jumped into the car to test it. I turned the key and the car wouldn't start, as the battery had died.

*** sigh ***

So out it came, took the Prius to buy a new battery. (I know, Prius hehe)

Anyways, installed the new battery, started the car, and slid it into reverse.

BAM! Perfect picture with some real cool alignment lines. I backed up and put it into first and poof, picture off.

Good read.

After spending 99% of my time over the past year or two in brand new rental trucks.

I always get disappointed at the lack of features in my Vettes.

Maybe one day I'll get a c7. Or maybe I need to take your approach and just add some more up to date features to my current ones.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

It's almost ironic that you installed a camera and monitor in your car, but didn't grab a camera to take a picture!
Pictures of both would be great, curious how it all looks.
A link to the items on Amazon would also be nice...
Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Sluggo42
Advanced

Here it is, the Kenwood and the monitor. The reason I put it here was basically there aren't a lot of places it could go, and running the wired back from here was easy

And here is the camera.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:21 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Exactly where I figured it would be, makes sense and looks great. Nice post...
Old 04-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Sluggo42
Advanced

Amazon.com : 5 Inch TFT LCD Car Color Rear View Monitor Parking Backup Camera DVD + 2 Bracket : Surveillance Monitors : Electronics Amazon.com : 5 Inch TFT LCD Car Color Rear View Monitor Parking Backup Camera DVD + 2 Bracket : Surveillance Monitors : Electronics

Monitor

Amazon.com: [2015 Latest] Esky® EC170-09 Waterproof High Sensitive Color CMOS Black Aluminum Alloy Universal Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle and 8 IR LED Night Vision: Automotive Amazon.com: [2015 Latest] Esky® EC170-09 Waterproof High Sensitive Color CMOS Black Aluminum Alloy Universal Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle and 8 IR LED Night Vision: Automotive

Camera.

The little lines on the monitor screen really help getting aligned, but I still don't know how far away they are yet. I'll have to get the wife to help with that. But, so far it's really helped me the few times I've used it. It only comes on when I get in reverse which is good, however I noticed it really makes the radio static when it's on. Probably needs some kind of inline filter.

But overall, the radio is killer, the Bluetooth phone is awesome, and I can see where I'm backing in now. Now all I need is a small microwave and I'll be set.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:29 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sluggo42
Amazon.com : 5 Inch TFT LCD Car Color Rear View Monitor Parking Backup Camera DVD + 2 Bracket : Surveillance Monitors : Electronics

Monitor

Amazon.com: [2015 Latest] Esky® EC170-09 Waterproof High Sensitive Color CMOS Black Aluminum Alloy Universal Car License Plate Frame Mount Rear View Backup Camera with 170 Degree Viewing Angle and 8 IR LED Night Vision: Automotive

Camera.

The little lines on the monitor screen really help getting aligned, but I still don't know how far away they are yet. I'll have to get the wife to help with that. But, so far it's really helped me the few times I've used it. It only comes on when I get in reverse which is good, however I noticed it really makes the radio static when it's on. Probably needs some kind of inline filter.

But overall, the radio is killer, the Bluetooth phone is awesome, and I can see where I'm backing in now. Now all I need is a small microwave and I'll be set.
All pretty cool, and I'm not really a gadget guy (stock radio, no gadgets on my vehicles ever...).
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM
LifeInAVette
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

@Sluggo42

Sorry for dragging up an old thread. Tried sending you a pm, but wouldn't go through.

Question for you on the wiring, why did you ground everything to the driver side backup light wiring but hook up to the power on passenger side light wiring? Could everything be hooked up to one side's wiring?

Get notified of new replies

To Backup camera wiring for dummies

Quick Reply: [Z06] Backup camera wiring for dummies