Sponsored by:

C5 Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 PM
Good Old Daze
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Key Fob

OK, like many, my C5 was stored for over 4 months. To my surprise the key Fobs did not work. I did change the batteries but I was told that the fobs need to be re-programmed by a dealer. Does anyone know if this is true or does anyone know how to re-program them w/o going to a dealer? HELP!!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:13 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

No need to take them to a dealer to be programmed. The procedure is contained in your owner's manual and is done through the DIC on the dash. Here basically is the procedure.

Put the key in the ignition and turn to on position (do not start the car). On the dash hit the options button until it cycles to a blank screen. Hold down the reset button on the dash four seconds and you will see "FOB Training" on the DIC. Press the reset button again and it will ask you to hold the LOCK and UNLOCK together. The car will beep after a few seconds.

Then the DIC will ask you to program the 2nd FOB. If you have one, the hold down the lock and unlock on that one until it beeps. Then it will ask you if you have a 3rd. If you do, then do the same - if not, the hit any other button on the dash because you are done.

If for some reason this does not work, there may be something else wrong with the car.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:17 PM
motomanvette
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Good Old Daze
OK, like many, my C5 was stored for over 4 months. To my surprise the key Fobs did not work. I did change the batteries but I was told that the fobs need to be re-programmed by a dealer. Does anyone know if this is true or does anyone know how to re-program them w/o going to a dealer? HELP!!
I'm an old C5 guy who just got another one to add to my C7. I ran into the same problem with my recent C5 purchase, no remote function. I just changed the batteries and followed the owners' manual. Access your D.I.C., the "train keyfob fuction" is there. All you have to do once you have access is to press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the remote.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Good Old Daze
Advanced

Originally Posted by motomanvette
I'm an old C5 guy who just got another one to add to my C7. I ran into the same problem with my recent C5 purchase, no remote function. I just changed the batteries and followed the owners' manual. Access your D.I.C., the "train keyfob fuction" is there. All you have to do once you have access is to press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the remote.
Good to know, will give this a try! Thx.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Good Old Daze
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
No need to take them to a dealer to be programmed. The procedure is contained in your owner's manual and is done through the DIC on the dash. Here basically is the procedure.

Put the key in the ignition and turn to on position (do not start the car). On the dash hit the options button until it cycles to a blank screen. Hold down the reset button on the dash four seconds and you will see "FOB Training" on the DIC. Press the reset button again and it will ask you to hold the LOCK and UNLOCK together. The car will beep after a few seconds.

Then the DIC will ask you to program the 2nd FOB. If you have one, the hold down the lock and unlock on that one until it beeps. Then it will ask you if you have a 3rd. If you do, then do the same - if not, the hit any other button on the dash because you are done.

If for some reason this does not work, there may be something else wrong with the car.
Worked like a charm! Thanks, Took a minute or less for both fobs!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Amazing what you can find in the OM if you just look first.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:16 AM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Great thread, thanks for the details Vetteman Jack
Old 11-07-2015, 06:53 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack

Originally Posted by Good Old Daze
Worked like a charm! Thanks,
Took a minute or less for both fobs!
My keyfob #1 just cracked and broke. I still have my original #2 that I've never really used in 12 years. Once I get a new replacement #1 and program it as described above, do I also need to reprogram my #2 or can I stop after programming the new #1?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,673 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Owners manual, if you have one, is pretty clear stating that all transmitters must be trained at the same time when ANY are programmed. So whether you have a total of 1, 2 or 3 transmitters they must ALL be programmed at one sitting to have them all function. FOB's previously that you have that are not programmed together are "forgotten" by the system.
Thanks. To make it more interesting, I also have a window valet programmed, so I guess that may need to be re-programmed as well.

Last edited by MSG C5; 11-07-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Key Fob

Quick Reply: C5 Key Fob