Sponsored by:

shifter bushing on shift lever of auto tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:07 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default shifter bushing on shift lever of auto tranny question

2000 C5 linkage fell off shift lever at tranny side. I ordered the ATF Speed repair kit bushing & have lever off of tranny. Question is about the white plastic piece that holds the linkage to tranny. How does that work? Is there a locking mechanism that held bushing in? My piece is able to fold over at 90 deg. but will snap straight when I squeeze it. The hole that held old bushing is intact as the cable itself. Real hard to find specific info & /or pictures about that piece.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:33 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Never mind I'm an idiot. I just went under car with a flood light & now see why it bends. POS cheap plastic part broke off that cable slides through. Its still useable but has wiggle room. Looks like attachment is just pressure fit against lever stud. Man what a crappy setup, I can still attach to tranny but I will glue & zip tie area that (mid section of POS plastic) holds cable in place.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:14 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Default Follow up on linkage (Pictures)

I snapped these when down there. You can see the round yellow piece that now slides along cable. It was the rear part of the POS plastic linkage holder. The cable is still secure inside that box. I will use a zip tie to secure it just in case before I reassemble. The shift lever that came off the side of tranny (15 mm wrench) will have the stud removed & replaced by the repair kit. I may try some glue on broken part also to help strengthen that junk, POS, cheap, weather worn plastic assembly. I don't want to change out the entire cable yet.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:43 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Default update for shift linkage issue

This is the repair kit.

This is the old stud removed next to the new piece.

This is what it looks like inside the linkage ready to go back on tranny

PIA getting c lip on. I lost 3 in the process so if you do this repair have extra c lips around. I also had to drill hole out in lever to get piece to fit. It was slightly larger in diameter than stud that came out. All seems to be working well now.

Get notified of new replies

To shifter bushing on shift lever of auto tranny question

Quick Reply: shifter bushing on shift lever of auto tranny question