Sponsored by:

Replaced Front and Rear Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:54 AM
gulfstrings
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replaced Front and Rear Emblems

Both front and rear emblems "melted" and had to be replaced. By "melted" I mean the finished black surfaces all delaminated and became wrinkled and could be removed by simply rubbing with a finger. Then the emblem itself separated from the adhesive backing which remained stuck to the car. When removing the emblem you could see the plastic had become brittle. The adhesive backing was removed from the painted surface, the surface then was easily cleaned and ready for the replacement emblems.

This is where some learning happened.

Via Amazon, I ordered both emblems as they were identified as OEM GM parts. The front emblem was OEM, was packaged/labeled as OEM and was nicely finished, the entire back had an adhesive layer and it installed beautifully.

The rear emblem I received was not an OEM part - and not labeled as such, it had poor finishes and would have had to have its mold-release points sanded flat if even a chance of it lying flush on the car's surface. This part is being returned.

I found an OEM rear emblem at our local Corvette store and, like the front emblem, it was nicely finished, conformed to the shape of the surface and had adhesive over the entirety of its back as opposed to just the two flag areas on the knock off.

There was a price difference between the real GM emblems and the aftermarket one(s) but for me the OEM parts were worth the money.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

I replaced my front emblem for the same reason and was able to find a reasonably priced OEM part from an on-line Chevy dealership. When/if it comes time to replace the back emblem I'll be sure to remember your experience. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,294 Likes on 13,967 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sometimes it really pays to spend the extra money and get the OEM stuff.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:49 AM
jdbuddy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gulfstrings
Both front and rear emblems "melted" and had to be replaced. By "melted" I mean the finished black surfaces all delaminated and became wrinkled and could be removed by simply rubbing with a finger. Then the emblem itself separated from the adhesive backing which remained stuck to the car. When removing the emblem you could see the plastic had become brittle. The adhesive backing was removed from the painted surface, the surface then was easily cleaned and ready for the replacement emblems.

This is where some learning happened.

Via Amazon, I ordered both emblems as they were identified as OEM GM parts. The front emblem was OEM, was packaged/labeled as OEM and was nicely finished, the entire back had an adhesive layer and it installed beautifully.

The rear emblem I received was not an OEM part - and not labeled as such, it had poor finishes and would have had to have its mold-release points sanded flat if even a chance of it lying flush on the car's surface. This part is being returned.

I found an OEM rear emblem at our local Corvette store and, like the front emblem, it was nicely finished, conformed to the shape of the surface and had adhesive over the entirety of its back as opposed to just the two flag areas on the knock off.

There was a price difference between the real GM emblems and the aftermarket one(s) but for me the OEM parts were worth the money.
It looks to me like the front emblem has two prongs that go into holes in the hood, but the rear is just flat and can just be removed if wanted. Is this correct?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:37 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbuddy
It looks to me like the front emblem has two prongs that go into holes in the hood, but the rear is just flat and can just be removed if wanted. Is this correct?
Yuuuup !!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:45 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

I've posted this before, so apologies for the re-post . . . . but I wanted something more than a plastic emblem, so found these through the forum-- about $75 from ambakershut@yahoo.com

Last edited by CQRT; 08-28-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:41 PM
slfwilrr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from the same person although I changed the flags and used the "50th" from the old one
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2015, 11:20 AM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbuddy
I removed my rear one years ago when I had the car wet sanded. It looks much better with out it and easier to wax and clean!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Be careful with a heat gun that you don't scorch the more fragile paint surface.

I used a blow dryer set on high and ran it over the emblem for a few good minutes and it nearly peeled right off.

As you peel it up, blow the hot air in between the emblem and the vehicle surface keeping it hot.

Any final residue, GOO-GONE works well.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by slfwilrr
I got mine from the same person although I changed the flags and used the "50th" from the old one
I haven't done mine yet, but I just LOVE the American flag on there!
Old 08-24-2016, 12:20 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ROJ#79
I removed my rear one years ago when I had the car wet sanded. It looks much better with out it and easier to wax and clean!
Removed mine for the same reason... it is nice to clean and wax without having to mess with the emblem.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:38 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Definitely better quality going with oem. I think i will remove my rear emblem and replace my front emblem since that one is starting to crack. Rear emblem seems to be in good condition.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Sometimes it really pays to spend the extra money and get the OEM stuff.
As Bill, E/T always says "I can't afford cheap".

Get notified of new replies

To Replaced Front and Rear Emblems

Quick Reply: Replaced Front and Rear Emblems