Sponsored by:

Tall tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Default Tall tires

Yep another tire thread. I have my own ideas but wouldn't mind a bit of input from my buds here on CF. Since I went to FI, traction has become somewhat of an issue even though I running Toyo DRs (315/35/18). They hook up somewhat but I'm seriously considering going to some 325/45/17 (maybe M&H or some MTs) in the rear. Those are 28" tall and are probably about the max diameter tire that I can use (and even those could have some issues). Since I want to retain my staggered stance and to alleviate any other issues, I'm thinking of using a 255/50/17 on the front tires which are just over 27" tall. Has anyone used these before? If so, are there any issues with turning radius (tire rubbing when turning)? I'm think the extra height might also help since I'm using the A&A intercooler system and it has that low air scoop. The extra height of the tire would raise the car another 1/2" to 1" and give me just a little bit more ground clearance. All input appreciated.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:08 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
The extra height of the tire would raise the car another 1/2" to 1" and give me just a little bit more ground clearance. All input appreciated.
255/50-17 allowable rim width is 7 to 9". C5 Stock front width is 9.5". Might work but many installers will not mount them.

from earlier post:
======================
What you will run into is that while there are plenty of taller tires, they will NOT work on the stock-width wheels (tires too narrow in bead section). Check under the tire specs for the "recommended wheel width". Installers like Discount Tire etc will absolutely balk at installing tires that are not spec'ed for the existing rim size.

The best I could find were Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, 235/50R17 (front) and 255/45R18 (rear). They are rated 280 AAA, and are 26.3 and 27.0 inches tall, respectively, compared to 25.6 and 26.7 for stock Goodyears. Mine is 2003 50th convert. I ended up with a very modest increase in height, but they fill the wheel wells better, I don't scrape on every bump or dip, and the ride is 50% better than the stock-size run flats that were on there (Michelin Pilot Sports).

You might also try the BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2 in 255/45-17 and 255/45-18, which are 26.1 and 27.1, respectively. They are being phased out I think, and harder to find, however.

You can research for yourself, but these were the only ones on the market that were taller, fit the rim widths, featured decent performance, and offered a front/rear set. Many brands and models have fronts or rears that seem better, but then you find there is no matching front (or rear) to make a set.

I am very satisfied, especially with the ride improvement, and, although slightly narrower in tread, the performance is at least as good as the Michelins and to my mind, better. Get these from Discount Tire when they run a $100-off deal, and lately there is also a $60 Bridgestone rebate. They will make sure your TPMS is correctly calibrated, but you will have to pay someone $50 or so to re-calibrate the speedo for the taller tires. It's worth it because when they re-calibrate the speedo you also get the rest of the standard re-flash goodies (like lower fan turn-on temps, no more skip-shift, etc etc).

Last edited by smartadze; 08-30-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:07 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you looked at a 275/40/17?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by smartadze
255/50-17 allowable rim width is 7 to 9". C5 Stock front width is 9.5". Might work but many installers will not mount them.

from earlier post:
======================
What you will run into is that while there are plenty of taller tires, they will NOT work on the stock-width wheels (tires too narrow in bead section). Check under the tire specs for the "recommended wheel width". Installers like Discount Tire etc will absolutely balk at installing tires that are not spec'ed for the existing rim size.

The best I could find were Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position, 235/50R17 (front) and 255/45R18 (rear). They are rated 280 AAA, and are 26.3 and 27.0 inches tall, respectively, compared to 25.6 and 26.7 for stock Goodyears. Mine is 2003 50th convert. I ended up with a very modest increase in height, but they fill the wheel wells better, I don't scrape on every bump or dip, and the ride is 50% better than the stock-size run flats that were on there (Michelin Pilot Sports).

You might also try the BFG g-Force Sport COMP-2 in 255/45-17 and 255/45-18, which are 26.1 and 27.1, respectively. They are being phased out I think, and harder to find, however.

You can research for yourself, but these were the only ones on the market that were taller, fit the rim widths, featured decent performance, and offered a front/rear set. Many brands and models have fronts or rears that seem better, but then you find there is no matching front (or rear) to make a set.

I am very satisfied, especially with the ride improvement, and, although slightly narrower in tread, the performance is at least as good as the Michelins and to my mind, better. Get these from Discount Tire when they run a $100-off deal, and lately there is also a $60 Bridgestone rebate. They will make sure your TPMS is correctly calibrated, but you will have to pay someone $50 or so to re-calibrate the speedo for the taller tires. It's worth it because when they re-calibrate the speedo you also get the rest of the standard re-flash goodies (like lower fan turn-on temps, no more skip-shift, etc etc).
My stock C5 front wheels are 17x8.5. They're not 9.5" (which are the Z06 stock size). Appreciate the input. The stock rear wheels are 18x9.5 which I replaced with 18x10.5 (stock Z06 size) when I put the 315/35-18 Toyo drag radials on. So I'm not worried at all about the front rims nor am I worried about anyone at DT balking at wanting to sell me some tires or even mounting them. Only concern I had was if the taller tire might rub the inner wheel liner on hard turning. My guess is it would probably be ok but was looking to see if anyone had been this route before.

@Yamerhaw That size (275/40-17) are only 25.7" in diameter, same as my current 245/45-17 Nittos (they're actually 25.6"). Since I mentioned that I was thinking about going to a 28" rear tire, using a front tire under 26" wouldn't work. That's the reason for the question of using the 255/50-17. They're 27.1" in diameter.
The following users liked this post:
CFight (09-29-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Tall tires

Quick Reply: Tall tires