Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[PICS] Make your stock C5 seats more supportive for free!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Z06 Zephyr
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts
Default [PICS] Make your stock C5 seats more supportive for free!

Tired of sliding around side to side in your corvette seats when turning hard? GM should be ashamed to fit those wide seats in a car that can pull over 1g on a skidpad (more now with pfadt coilovers and pilot super sports) This will increase the bolster appox. 1 inch on each side. They now has hardly any open space between the bolsters and my ribs, definitely feel more "one with the car" I wouldn't go back for anything.

I would just like to say I did not come up with this idea, but the guide I used only had 3 pictures and well I figured I could make another with better ones.

Items that would be useful: vice grips/pliers, and electrical tape.

Firstly, open your gorgeous corvette's door.

Then use the latch on the back of the headrest to make the seat go foward.

Now you will want to look at the bottom of your backrest. This is what you'll see.

Now you will want to put your fingers in that crack and pull on it a little bit. There are two plasic strips, one on each side that does to about 2 inches from the middle. You just pull to disconnect them.

After they are disconnected, you can reach up if it hasnt fallen out and grab this zipper.

Now just unzip it all the way. Vice grips may be helpful here because there is no handle to use.

As you can see, my foam has cracked on the drivers side bolster. This is a commonly reported thing.

Now just slide the foam up over the bolster, and put it in front of it.

Some users have also reported having sharp edges on their seat frames, i on the other hand didn't but put tape there just in case. on the other side i used electrical tape and it felt much more protected then this tape.

Now repeat the procedure on the other side. I found it easier to sit in the passenger seat for this.

As said before, electrical tape seems to have much more protection.

Now just zip it back and put back the two strips, and you're done! The hardest part of this whole thing is the strips. I tried for a good 10 mins before i tried just holding the bar they go on to then i got them both within 20 seconds. Many people just didn't put theirs back in but i like my job feeling "finished"

I personally love this, and think it should have came from the factory like this. Hope you liked my guide.
The following 11 users liked this post by Z06 Zephyr:
'Shifter (09-14-2015), ArmchairArchitect (10-01-2018), black match box (10-09-2015), caddman11 (03-08-2017), Hepcat (12-18-2019), JBB (08-29-2017), mre1974 (09-16-2015), pcfred (12-18-2019), r0bd (09-15-2015), Route99 (10-01-2018), smitty2919 (12-18-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-13-2015, 05:30 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2015, 05:57 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

+1 for this mod. It's easily as supportive as any daily driver seat, and I think almost as good as my old Milano prestige seats in my z. I left my passenger seat alone just because I wanted to show my car friends how insane the difference is. Going to add some extra foam around the bolster to protect the leather and get even better results
Old 09-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the write up, pics and idea.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 PM
Johnny wangwang
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Be careful though. Those "sidebolsters" can and will snap. I did this mod a looong time ago. Its funny alot of people dont know about it. Itll also make your stitching in that same spot wear faster.

The C5 seats are some of the most unsupportive but comfortable sports car seats ive ever sat in.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:52 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Great price mod!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:48 PM
Vanover
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 94 Posts

The air leaks out of my sport seat,do you thank this will work?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:29 AM
Z06 Zephyr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vanover
The air leaks out of my sport seat,do you thank this will work?
Since my car is a Z06, I don't have the air bladder that you have so i'm unfamiliar with it however, this is simply a matter of taking the foam from all the way around the side bolster and moving it all to the front of it so I don't think it would effect anything
Old 09-15-2015, 03:46 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

pretty cool... I wonder how the seat covers will hold up over time around the bolsters since they will now be rubbing against the bare frame
Old 09-15-2015, 10:00 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
pretty cool... I wonder how the seat covers will hold up over time around the bolsters since they will now be rubbing against the bare frame
My thoughts exactly. I'll probably do this mod, try it at least. But I'll wrap some of that white fabric (goes under visible fabric in couches, etc.) around the frame there.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:52 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

When I did this seat mod eight years ago, I went a step or two further that helps take away the possible 'Broken" side bolster and sliding around issue. After removing the back cover and foam and exposing the back seat frame, I duplicated / fabricated from aluminum sheet metal the same configuration of bolster, both 'inside' and 'around the back' of frame. I then clamped and sandwiched the aluminum to the seat back and drilled strategically placed holes, removed clamps, applied some silicone between the frame and both aluminum pieces, and pop riveted everything together. At this point I took and cut thin vacuum hose to cover the bolster edge and used duct tape to hold it in place. I had some 1'' hard cell foam and inserted it between the inside bolster and factory foam and then re-assembled seat back. This mod costs near nothing and it reminds you every time you get into your car of how much more stable you feel positioned while driving through curves/turns. It's a great mod to do if you don't want to change out factory seats. Later I added foam to the bottom seat bolsters as well. Not trying to steal the thread, just validating the worth of this mod !!
Good job OP !! Wish I had taken pics when I did mine !!

Last edited by 2FAS4UU; 09-15-2015 at 12:55 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by 2FAS4UU:
JBB (08-29-2017), Phat98 (03-30-2020), Route99 (10-01-2018), Z06 Zephyr (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 12:56 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
+1 for this mod. It's easily as supportive as any daily driver seat, and I think almost as good as my old Milano prestige seats in my z. I left my passenger seat alone just because I wanted to show my car friends how insane the difference is. Going to add some extra foam around the bolster to protect the leather and get even better results
Old 09-15-2015, 12:58 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
When I did this seat mod eight years ago, I went a step or two further that helps take away the possible 'Broken" side bolster and sliding around issue. After removing the back cover and foam and exposing the back seat frame, I duplicated / fabricated from aluminum sheet metal the same configuration of bolster, both 'inside' and 'around the back' of frame. I then clamped and sandwiched the aluminum to the seat back and drilled strategically placed holes, removed clamps, applied some silicone between the frame and both aluminum pieces, and pop riveted everything together. At this point I took and cut thin vacuum hose to cover the bolster edge and used duct tape to hold it in place. I had some 1'' hard cell foam and inserted it between the inside bolster and factory foam and then re-assembled seat back. This mod costs near nothing and it reminds you every time you get into your car of how much more stable you feel positioned while driving through curves/turns. It's a great mod to do if you don't want to change out factory seats. Later I added foam to the bottom seat bolsters as well. Not trying to steal the thread, just validating the worth of this mod !!
This ain't stealing the thread, it's solidifying it! Funny, because I thought about doing something exactly like you said, adding slightly extended wraps around the factory sides.
Pictures? Please... if you have any.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Z06 Zephyr
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
Thanks! That is a good idea as well. Just alot more involved!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:42 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by grantv
This ain't stealing the thread, it's solidifying it! Funny, because I thought about doing something exactly like you said, adding slightly extended wraps around the factory sides.
Pictures? Please... if you have any.
You are on the right track, although the seat cover might become a fit issue with the modified bolster design. The up side I see is that you take your old seat covers if in good shape and have a upholsterer sew in new Alicante inserts on both the bottom and back and modify the back cover to fit your modified bolsters. Don't know how cost effective it would be, but fitment and looks would be sweet !!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06 Zephyr
Thanks! That is a good idea as well. Just alot more involved!
Z06 Zephyr; If I recall, this mod to drivers seat only took me about 2 1/2 hrs., and on the passengers side I used your method. Like I said earlier, it's a mod that reminds you every time you drive, and makes a crappy GM designed seat become on par with some of the better after market seats !! For what it really 'Doesn't cost', Corvette owners would be shocked at the fitment difference !! Take care brother !!
Old 09-15-2015, 02:59 PM
r0bd
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Zephyr

I was having a hard time understanding the relation between the two pictures above and found a similar youtube video that helped.

Thanks for posting this!

The following 3 users liked this post by r0bd:
gaustins11 (10-02-2018), shaggyvette (10-02-2018), Z06 Zephyr (09-15-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To [PICS] Make your stock C5 seats more supportive for free!

Old 09-16-2015, 10:04 PM
Z06 Zephyr
Instructor

Originally Posted by r0bd
I was having a hard time understanding the relation between the two pictures above and found a similar youtube video that helped.

Thanks for posting this!

Yes, after the fact I realized i could have taken a picture in between these these, glad you liked it though!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:02 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Excellent thread
Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

I did this last night, took me maybe 5 minutes, seriously. And I've never taken a car seat cover off.
The difference? Astounding! The drive to work this morning was much better, really holds you in. In all honesty I'm not sure being my DD that I'd want anything more restrictive. This works!
Will it wear my seats out faster? I doubt it, it's still the same amount of "stuff" in there. I wrapped the bolster edge to help prevent outside wear.
I will say at 5'-9" and mid-high 180#'s I'm probably at the limit for this mod, any heavier and it would be too tight. Just my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (10-01-2018)

Quick Reply: [PICS] Make your stock C5 seats more supportive for free!