Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle response issue, any Idea's ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 06:01 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Default Throttle response issue, any Idea's ?

Posted this in the Tech section but I figured I'll post it here as well...

I will try and describe this as best as I can.. lets say I pull away from a corner after making a turn onto a busy road at normal seed and decide to mash the pedal full throttle....i get a sudden, split second lag, as if it's starving for fuel / air or both, and then it takes off like a bat out of hell.
Any idea what can be causing this. It's driving me nuts as I can't seem to find a cause.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:24 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 466 Posts

There is no throttle cable. There may be an electronic lag in the signal. Not sure if that is the proper way to describe the condition.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Any recent mods to your car? Did this occur shortly after some mods? How long has thing been happening?
Old 10-26-2015, 06:39 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

I'd also make sure my MAF sensor is clean. Also check your air filter and make sure it's clean as well.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

I think in pretty much every DBW car I've been in/around, the one constant that comes to mind is a momentary lag on a sudden sharp throttle opening. I've never seen one have faster throttle response than on a cable actuated car.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:25 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Something else you might consider. Get a tuner to go with you and log this event. That will show what is happening and you can get it fixed. Could be that your A/F ratio is messed up and the computer has to compensate briefly until it "figures" it out.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:37 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Any recent mods to your car? Did this occur shortly after some mods? How long has thing been happening?
Originally Posted by CactusCat
I'd also make sure my MAF sensor is clean. Also check your air filter and make sure it's clean as well.
No Mods what so ever, Cleaned throttle body / MAF beginning of summer, along with a new AF

Originally Posted by Fastbird
I think in pretty much every DBW car I've been in/around, the one constant that comes to mind is a momentary lag on a sudden sharp throttle opening. I've never seen one have faster throttle response than on a cable actuated car.
That could very well be....it's just annoying. You like to have instant response when you mash the sucker to the floor
Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

There are tons of DBW cars that do not have this momentary lag. My 98 is highly modded (so more of a chance for problems) but there is no lag anywhere, nor was there any lag when it was pure stock. Your problem might be from an injector that is starting to go bad or many other things. That's why it's best to log this event.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:21 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Turn the traction control off and try again..
Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I would say a good dyno tune is the best "fix"
Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Is this an A4 car, that is 'shifting down' before you feel the strong pull?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:39 PM
OldManBeach
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi SgLou! I haven't actually checked this out on my Vette yet, so I hope I am not too far off base, but I had a recent situation with my DD where the throttle response seemed off. Turns out the TB was filthy. Once I cleaned it with TB cleaner it definitely felt more responsive. Could that be your issue?
Old 10-26-2015, 10:30 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by donald4972
this is what I was thinking... I have a 6 speed and have never had an issue with throttle response, actually it's pretty damn good and smooth in my opinion... any competent tuner should be able to fix any little nuances like that without any fancy "boosters" or add on devices
Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OldManBeach
Hi SgLou! I haven't actually checked this out on my Vette yet, so I hope I am not too far off base, but I had a recent situation with my DD where the throttle response seemed off. Turns out the TB was filthy. Once I cleaned it with TB cleaner it definitely felt more responsive. Could that be your issue?
Cleaned TB, MAF and replaced the filter
Old 10-27-2015, 03:16 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by donald4972
yes it's an A4.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
yes it's an A4.
This is not because it is an A4 vehicle etc -

There is a little something more going on here -

There are pretty much three components to the DBW setup:

(1) TPS - Throttle Position Sensor on the TB
(2) TAC Module by the PCM passenger inner fender well (go between TPS and Throttle Pedal)
(3) Throttle Pedal Sensor

Make sure that these do not have any moisture or any corrosion on the connections -

Plus make sure there is no moisture and no corrosion on your MAF connection - make this your starting point

If all is good and you have "NO" codes - then your best bet like stated is going to be to DATA Log your Vette, a competent tuner/shop will need to be used to do this -

This should not be happening in a DBW system, especially since NO mods have been made -

Have you cleaned the motor off - carwash, water etc?

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-28-2015, 01:07 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
This is not because it is an A4 vehicle etc -

There is a little something more going on here -

There are pretty much three components to the DBW setup:

(1) TPS - Throttle Position Sensor on the TB
(2) TAC Module by the PCM passenger inner fender well (go between TPS and Throttle Pedal)
(3) Throttle Pedal Sensor

Make sure that these do not have any moisture or any corrosion on the connections -

Plus make sure there is no moisture and no corrosion on your MAF connection - make this your starting point

If all is good and you have "NO" codes - then your best bet like stated is going to be to DATA Log your Vette, a competent tuner/shop will need to be used to do this -

This should not be happening in a DBW system, especially since NO mods have been made -

Have you cleaned the motor off - carwash, water etc?

Thanks,Matt
Matt, I have NEVER power washed or used water to clean the engine compartment. I did how ever clean areas of the heads, along intake manifold and around oil filler tube to remove spilled oil from the previous owner using carb. cleaner. I did not use it anywhere near the MAF or TB, but that was in the spring of 2011... I have a stock air intake although i did mod another cover with a series of holes in it for a little better air flow but I don't think that's the problem as I had this throttle response issue before the mod was done and that's what prompted me to clean the TB and MAF with this stuff:

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle response issue, any Idea's ?

Old 10-29-2015, 08:43 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Matt, I have NEVER power washed or used water to clean the engine compartment. I did how ever clean areas of the heads, along intake manifold and around oil filler tube to remove spilled oil from the previous owner using carb. cleaner. I did not use it anywhere near the MAF or TB, but that was in the spring of 2011... I have a stock air intake although i did mod another cover with a series of holes in it for a little better air flow but I don't think that's the problem as I had this throttle response issue before the mod was done and that's what prompted me to clean the TB and MAF with this stuff:

Okay -

What you are going to have to do at this point is get an appointment with a reputable tuner and have him smooth this throttle situation out -

It has happened to others before and it can be corrected -

Just make sure there are no leaks around the manifold or any parts/vacuum lines that have come off - this will also cause the hesitation you are experiencing -

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Okay -

What you are going to have to do at this point is get an appointment with a reputable tuner and have him smooth this throttle situation out -

It has happened to others before and it can be corrected -

Just make sure there are no leaks around the manifold or any parts/vacuum lines that have come off - this will also cause the hesitation you are experiencing -

Thanks,Matt
OK, Thanks for your help
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

make sure all the hose clamps are tight on your intake. also check that there are no loose pcv hoses/ vacuum lines.

I would suggest taking the car in for a tune regardless. It really wakes up an automatic.

Quick Reply: Throttle response issue, any Idea's ?