Sponsored by:

New to me 2003 Anniversary Edition

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:25 PM
bluemike28
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bikeriderga
6,000 miles? The car is not even broken in yet.

Congrats on a practically brand new 03 Anniversary edition!

I would change the tires though.. 12 year old tires, even if garaged, are a blowout or tread separation waiting to happen.
Thanks for the congrats! New tires are in the works and it seems like everyone is in agreement that they need to be changed. Anything else I should be checking on the car?
Old 11-16-2015, 03:27 PM
bluemike28
Racer

Originally Posted by G'S50TH
These are nice cars mine has 82000 miles on it and i drive it as often as I can you don't have to worry it's fiberglass and plastic so it can get wet, I live in new york and take it out all year round ,just not when it's snowing hope you enjoy your's as much as I have mine
G, thank you for the well wishes. I am definitely planning to enjoy this car as much as I can but I don't see myself taking it out in inclement weather as I have a daily driver and I just love how clean the underside is (you can still read writing on the frame from when it was assembled at the factory!).

Anyways, happy motoring.

Mike
Old 11-16-2015, 03:28 PM
bluemike28
Racer

Originally Posted by envyz06
nice ride!
Thanks Envy!
Old 11-16-2015, 03:35 PM
0JDP Tech
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Beautiful car! Looks like new!!

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Motorsports
The following users liked this post:
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 03:50 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 278 Likes on 124 Posts
Oldtimer

Congratulations! Sounds like it needs some miles behind it.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

What a beautiful Corvette! Congrats & enjoy it. As for tires, I bought the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for mine 3 years ago, and I've really enjoyed the ride. It seems everyone is real happy with the Hankook Evo's too - I don't think you can go wrong with either.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 08:09 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Welcome and congratulations --
Great looking C5 -- though I'm probably biased.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Wow! What a beautiful low mile AE! Congrats!
The paint looks amazing
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:29 PM
BestToyYet
Advanced

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats on a great car. Love the AE, which is why I have one as well.

Not my DD but when the weekend is here...Woo Hoo!!!! Off and driving all over. Can't get me out of it. Make up reason to go drive around.

Your going to love if. Have fun!!
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:16 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Congrats on a beautiful AE! Enjoy it!!

And for what it's worth, I run Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports and love 'em.

Last edited by FrankLP; 11-16-2015 at 11:16 PM.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 AM
50 ANV C5
Racer

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

great choice, AE brotherhood ,
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 03:43 AM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow! What a great find! Congrats!

Peter
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Definitely one of the best colors on the C5!
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 06:13 AM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Beautiful car. Enjoy.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 07:26 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my car and it is night and day over the Goodyear run flats !!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think you can buy a better overall tire than the Michelin Pilot SS.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:06 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bluemike28
Thanks for the congrats! New tires are in the works and it seems like everyone is in agreement that they need to be changed. Anything else I should be checking on the car?

With 6K miles, the main thing I would try and do first, is get the service records. If the oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, etc has not been changed in the last 12 months, I would start there. You do not want to run a practically brand new Corvette (going by your mileage) that has been basically sitting for 11 years on old fluids. Remember your baby is pristine and practically brand new, but she has been sitting up for most of her life. Treat her as such.

With 6,000 miles on a 12 year old car, she could not have been driven more than 500 miles per year. The PER YEAR is the key thing here. If the 6,000 miles were done in first two years and she basically SAT the rest of the time, that means I would follow EVERYTHING I have outlined here. If she was driven at least twice a year say 100 miles, you will probably find she is FINE. Still, go through these check procedures, does not mean you have to perform all of them.

Everything I am going to tell you forward is based on sitting time. If they previous owner(owners) drove her at least twice a year to standard operating temps, you probably can forgo most of the suggestions I will make below. If in doubt, DO IT!

Fluids/All
Oil: Changed in the last twelve months? -- If not, change.
Brake Fluid -- Changed in the past 24-36 months? if not change
Radiator -- Serviced in the past 3 years? If not flush and refill
Transmission -- Serviced in the last 3 years? If not flush and change.
Differential/Transaxle -- Last 4 years? If not change

Of course it is not that these fluids have been used with 6K miles, it is that they are OLD, setting up, gumming up, etc. Again driving time per year is key here. As long as they have been kept mobile and had standard operating temps applied to them at least twice a year, they are probably all OK. I would change the oil out unless it was changed < 12 months ago, regardless.

Wiring

Check the wiring to make sure no critters have been chewing on them. Also check Spark Plugs wires to make sure they are not brittle. Same with other wires. No need to replace them, unless they need replacing due to age and time.

If the car was run to operating temps at least once a year, you are probably fine here.

Battery and Battery Area
If the battery has been on a battery tender, you are probably fine. If not, well I would get it tested. The Electrical system on these Vettes cause more issues than anything else on these cars. Low voltage batteries over a long period of time, will create electrical gremlins.

Also, the area under the battery is where many of the grounding points and other internal wiring is located. Make sure no acid leaks here. I doubt that this is a problem, but I do not know what type of garage it was stored in and what elements she was exposed to.

Belts/Hoses/Etc
Follow the same procedure for your belts, hoses, etc. as wiring. They are probably fine, but better safe than sorry. If the previous owner got her out at least once a year, you a probably fine.

DIC codes

Check them all and see if there are any codes being thrown. Look for History codes as well. The main ones I would look for are electrical ones. That could indicate battery issues as per above. If she is clean, you are probably OK, but I would definitely follow my advice per above.

Seals, Gaskets, etc

If you have to change fluids, while she is up, I would have the mechanic check all seals, gaskets, etc. Wheel bearing grease could be old and bad. Again, not a mileage problem, an age one.

Again, if the previous owner(s) got her out at least two times a year and ran her to standard operating temps, you. should be golden.

Finally
You have basically a pristine car. I would not skimp on fluids. She has no miles on her and probably has the new car smell. Treat her right and she will treat you right.

Not trying to get you to spend money you don't have to, but want you to have many safe and happy trouble free miles.

Watch out for the dealerships. Some dealerships will rip you off to do a front to rear changing of fluids. Most service shops that specialize in oil changes and lubes are much more reasonable. Make sure to bring your own GM filters though and demand Mobile One oil or better synthetics (like Amsoil). Make sure that they use the GM 2 additive for the differential, if you need to change these fluids out.

Best of luck and welcome. You have a pristine baby and she is really a new car that has been sitting most of her life. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as she was driven at least once or twice a year. Just would rather you be safe with that queen, rather than sorry.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by bikeriderga:
bluemike28 (11-17-2015), jeff7251954 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Great looking car you found!
I have the Michelin SS on my "03 Coupe" and love them!
I also have the Hankook on my Aura XR and I love them as well! Don't think you would go wrong with either choice, although the Michelins are a little more expensive. Definitely helps that my son-in-law is service manager at a local Best-One Tire Center.......

Can't believe the mark up on tires.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To New to me 2003 Anniversary Edition

Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Finally
You have basically a pristine car. I would not skimp on fluids. She has no miles on her and probably has the new car smell. Treat her right and she will treat you right.

Not trying to get you to spend money you don't have to, but want you to have many safe and happy trouble free miles.

Watch out for the dealerships. Some dealerships will rip you off to do a front to rear changing of fluids. Most service shops that specialize in oil changes and lubes are much more reasonable. Make sure to bring your own GM filters though and demand Mobile One oil or better synthetics (like Amsoil). Make sure that they use the GM 2 additive for the differential, if you need to change these fluids out.

Best of luck and welcome. You have a pristine baby and she is really a new car that has been sitting most of her life. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as she was driven at least once or twice a year. Just would rather you be safe with that queen, rather than sorry.

Hope this helps.
I disagree. Service shops that specializes in oil changes are not all that great. They pay very little, have a lot of turnover and don't have the best people. I used to use them for my daily drivers until they forgot to put the drain plug back in the differential. I will never use them again. On the other hand the techs at the dealership are well trained, have experience working on these cars, have all the tools and service manuals, have access to parts and usually have the expertise to handle the job. You might pay more at a dealership, but it may well be worth it. My dealership charges the same for fluid changes as everyone else and were half the cost of the others for a fuel filter change. Independent shops will rip you off even more since they aren't trying to sell you a new car also.
Changing tranny fluid in a C5 is a special procedure and most small shops have never done it. My dealership is honest and fair and have treated me better than the small shops. It is a small town dealer and that might have something to do with it. Do not take your Vette to a quick oil change shop.

Last edited by JR-01; 11-17-2015 at 10:30 AM.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JR-01
I disagree. Service shops that specializes in oil changes are not all that great. They pay very little, have a lot of turnover and don't have the best people. I used to use them for my daily drivers until they forgot to put the drain plug back in the differential. I will never use them again. On the other hand the techs at the dealership are well trained, have experience working on these cars, have all the tools and service manuals, have access to parts and usually have the expertise to handle the job. You might pay more at a dealership, but it may well be worth it. My dealership charges the same for fluid changes as everyone else and were half the cost of the others for a fuel filter change. Independent shops will rip you off even more since they aren't trying to sell you a new car also.
Changing tranny fluid in a C5 is a special procedure and most small shops have never done it. My dealership is honest and fair and have treated me better than the small shops. It is a small town dealer and that might have something to do with it. Do not take your Vette to a quick oil change shop.

Not all dealerships are bad, but some are rip off artist. I had one local dealer quite me $ 1500.00 just to change all of the fluids. That is absolutely ridiculous!

Of course I do not mean a jiffy lube per se. I mean a more reputable shop that specializes in normal maintenance service repairs. Tire shops are also an option that do fluid changes, brake work, tune ups, etc. as well as tires.
bluemike28 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM
bluemike28
Racer

With 6K miles, the main thing I would try and do first, is get the service records. If the oil, trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, etc has not been changed in the last 12 months, I would start there. You do not want to run a practically brand new Corvette (going by your mileage) that has been basically sitting for 11 years on old fluids. Remember your baby is pristine and practically brand new, but she has been sitting up for most of her life. Treat her as such.

With 6,000 miles on a 12 year old car, she could not have been driven more than 500 miles per year. The PER YEAR is the key thing here. If the 6,000 miles were done in first two years and she basically SAT the rest of the time, that means I would follow EVERYTHING I have outlined here. If she was driven at least twice a year say 100 miles, you will probably find she is FINE. Still, go through these check procedures, does not mean you have to perform all of them.

Everything I am going to tell you forward is based on sitting time. If they previous owner(owners) drove her at least twice a year to standard operating temps, you probably can forgo most of the suggestions I will make below. If in doubt, DO IT!

Fluids/All
Oil: Changed in the last twelve months? -- If not, change.
Brake Fluid -- Changed in the past 24-36 months? if not change
Radiator -- Serviced in the past 3 years? If not flush and refill
Transmission -- Serviced in the last 3 years? If not flush and change.
Differential/Transaxle -- Last 4 years? If not change

Of course it is not that these fluids have been used with 6K miles, it is that they are OLD, setting up, gumming up, etc. Again driving time per year is key here. As long as they have been kept mobile and had standard operating temps applied to them at least twice a year, they are probably all OK. I would change the oil out unless it was changed < 12 months ago, regardless.

Wiring

Check the wiring to make sure no critters have been chewing on them. Also check Spark Plugs wires to make sure they are not brittle. Same with other wires. No need to replace them, unless they need replacing due to age and time.

If the car was run to operating temps at least once a year, you are probably fine here.

Battery and Battery Area
If the battery has been on a battery tender, you are probably fine. If not, well I would get it tested. The Electrical system on these Vettes cause more issues than anything else on these cars. Low voltage batteries over a long period of time, will create electrical gremlins.

Also, the area under the battery is where many of the grounding points and other internal wiring is located. Make sure no acid leaks here. I doubt that this is a problem, but I do not know what type of garage it was stored in and what elements she was exposed to.

Belts/Hoses/Etc
Follow the same procedure for your belts, hoses, etc. as wiring. They are probably fine, but better safe than sorry. If the previous owner got her out at least once a year, you a probably fine.

DIC codes

Check them all and see if there are any codes being thrown. Look for History codes as well. The main ones I would look for are electrical ones. That could indicate battery issues as per above. If she is clean, you are probably OK, but I would definitely follow my advice per above.

Seals, Gaskets, etc

If you have to change fluids, while she is up, I would have the mechanic check all seals, gaskets, etc. Wheel bearing grease could be old and bad. Again, not a mileage problem, an age one.

Again, if the previous owner(s) got her out at least two times a year and ran her to standard operating temps, you. should be golden.

Finally

Hope this helps.
BikeRider; Thank you very much for the comprehensive shakedown list. The car was owned by a family member and I have been able to speak with the dealership where they had the car maintained. The service history is pretty aggressive from what I could tell based on all the different services they did over the years. Case in point, the car had a full fluid change done at 4k miles and again this past may at 5300 miles. As for how the car was driven, it definitely is a case of mileage yearly vs. driven for a year and then put away to age.

I am working now on trying to just get the car sorted as far as identifying anything at all that needs attention so she remains trouble free for years to come. Fingers crossed, there shouldn't be much to do beyond new tires and changing the oil as needed.

Thanks for the helping hand to get up and running!

Best Regards,

Mike

Quick Reply: New to me 2003 Anniversary Edition