Sponsored by:

Underhood squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 PM
HarleyVetteNC
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Underhood squeak

Hi - still learning my Vette and just recently I have noticed a squeak from the drivers side of the engine. I thought at first it was a belt and tried some belt spray but that did not work. A small shot of silicone works for a bit but the squeak comes back.

I am thinking at this point it must be a rotating part in the fan belt chain, but not sure what. Any suggestions on what this would typically be?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:10 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Pull the belt off completely and see what happens. I developed a squeak that turned out to be the air system a while back. To fix it I simply had to pull the hose that goes to the metal pipe on the air system a little further and tighten the clamp again.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:20 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

The C5 in known for squeak from the fan belt system. It can be as simple as the belt itself to a wobbling balancer to pulley alignment. If you look at the balancer you can see it wobbling. The two parts separate and thus go out of alignment with the other pulleys and cause the squeak. Also look closely to see if has separated and the outside piece has moved inward. The best belt to use is the Gatorback which was changed to the Continental brand. You can search for squeaking C5 belt and get a lot of info about this subject. Good luck
Old 01-11-2016, 09:03 AM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Take a good look at the power steering pulling...if I'm correct (and someone will certainly correect me) - they are plastic...

Get notified of new replies

To Underhood squeak

Quick Reply: Underhood squeak