Sponsored by:

Brake Pad different on front and back - OK

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 11:26 AM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake Pad different on front and back - OK

Mostly a summer daily driver. I do autocross about 3-5 events (1 day 6-8 runs/day). Rotors and brake pads are OEM. Rotors do not need turning or replacement. Pads are still ok but I'm probably going to change them out while I'm flushing fluid and touching up the caliper paint. I'd like to run with ceramic pads (less dust) and have been thinking about EBC green or red. Do I need the same pads on front as on back? Thoughts???
Old 01-17-2016, 12:56 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Always use the same pads at all four corners. Ceramics might not be the best choice if you autocross.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:50 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

It's probably a good idea to put the same pads on all the way around If you wan to stop straight and true. Might not make a difference on an old beater pickup but you have a performance sports car.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:33 PM
dreamscometrue
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check in the autocross/roadrace section for how often different pad materials are used. I have run different pads from to rear all the time for track use. I would put the more aggressive material in front.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:44 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

ZO-6's used different pads on the front than other C5's. Rear pads were the same. Clearly one of them had different pads front to rear. I'm betting on the ZO-6.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamscometrue
Check in the autocross/roadrace section for how often different pad materials are used. I have run different pads from to rear all the time for track use. I would put the more aggressive material in front.
For road course work I always run higher bite pads on the front.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:12 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by rx4arx
Mostly a summer daily driver. I do autocross about 3-5 events (1 day 6-8 runs/day). Rotors and brake pads are OEM. Rotors do not need turning or replacement. Pads are still ok but I'm probably going to change them out while I'm flushing fluid and touching up the caliper paint. I'd like to run with ceramic pads (less dust) and have been thinking about EBC green or red. Do I need the same pads on front as on back? Thoughts???
You do not need the same pad front and back but you want to make sure the front has more bite than the rear and in your case I don't think this will happen with the EBC pads. Take a look at the Carbotech 1521 pad low dust performs like OE and can be Auto X no problem.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.

F: $140 R: $120
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 PM
rx4arx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the input gang.

I'm liking that Bobcat 1521. If it's good to go for autocross - that's a positive. There isn't really any road course around but If I did go on one, sounds like changing out the front pads for a better bite would do the trick. I'll look for a Canadian distributor.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:54 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by rx4arx
thanks for the input gang.

I'm liking that Bobcat 1521. If it's good to go for autocross - that's a positive. There isn't really any road course around but If I did go on one, sounds like changing out the front pads for a better bite would do the trick. I'll look for a Canadian distributor.
If you cant find them I will be happy to send them to you.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad different on front and back - OK

Quick Reply: Brake Pad different on front and back - OK