Sponsored by:

C5 base vs. Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:41 PM
Jeremy23
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default C5 base vs. Z06?

The time has come for me to purchase my first vette! I am interested in hearing feedback from previous vette owners as to which road I should go, and here is the rundown:

The corvette I purchase will never see a track (neither 1/4 mile or circuit) and will only be used as a daily driver. With this in mind I will be keeping the car very close to stock (with the exception of a cold air and obviously an exhaust stystem). I am attending college currently so any modifications are out of the question.

What I'm really looking for is if you were me, would you purchase a C5 base coupe vs. spending a few thousand more on a z06?

$15,000 cash to spend.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:50 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Some people like me just love the FRC look of the Z06, plus when you add a divider no one can see what it is your trunk. But Z's are holding their value lately and $15K would buy one with a lot of miles, not always a bad thing depending on how the miles were done and how well the car was taken care of. You'd be better off if you had at least $20K....And the Z comes with Titanium mufflers, I wont change those though I plan on Long Tube headers sometime soon....
Old 01-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Jeremy23
Intermediate

I wish I had that to spend but it's not in the stars as I'm paying my way through school by myself without loans! I may just have to suffice with a FRC or base model.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

You're going to have a very hard time finding a Z06 with a $15k budget. Maybe a 2001 that has some significant mileage (well over 100,000 miles) and minor issues, but not a 2002-2004 Z06. You need to up your budget significantly closer to $20K, and it's warranted as 2002+ Z06s are more desirable than the initial entry year 2001 Z06.

$15K will get you a high trim level 1997-2000 car with very reasonable mileage. You would be able to find lower trim level cars in that year range under you budget quite easily. Finding one with sub 50k miles should not be difficult as well. 2001+ cars are going to have more miles on them if you're wanting to spend $15K. Theres some issues with pre-2001 cars that typically warrant the current market they go for, and most in the buyer market are willing to pay the initial higher "premium" 2001+ cars go for to weed out the little things earlier models have.

I suggest you read the FAQs regarding C5 ownership which are very valuable. I also suggest reading on column lock issues which plague a lot of C5 owners.

Last edited by Velocity_Vette; 01-18-2016 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IMXCITD (01-20-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 AM
Jeremy23
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
You're going to have a very hard time finding a Z06 with a $15k budget. Maybe a 2001 that has some significant mileage (well over 100,000 miles) and minor issues, but not a 2002-2004 Z06. You need to up your budget significantly closer to $20K, and it's warranted as 2002+ Z06s are more desirable than the initial entry year
2001 Z06.

l

$15K will get you a high trim level 1997-2000 car with very reasonable mileage. You would be able to find lower trim level cars in that year range under you budget quite easily. Finding one with sub 50k miles should not be difficult as well. 2001+ cars are going to have more miles on them if you're wanting to spend $15K. Theres some issues with pre-2001 cars that typically warrant the current market they go for, and most in the buyer market are willing to pay the initial higher "premium" 2001+ cars go for to weed out the little things earlier models have.

I suggest you read the FAQs regarding C5 ownership which are very valuable. I also suggest reading on column lock issues which plague a lot of C5 owners.
That makes perfect sense. I'm thinking I'll buy a FRC or base model for now and save up for a year and upgrade to bigger and better things!

Last edited by Jeremy23; 01-19-2016 at 12:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Smykster (10-05-2022)
Old 01-19-2016, 12:05 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 466 Likes on 375 Posts

READ the STICKY about buying a C5... the only thing I'd say is TRY to get a 2001 or newer they made lots of changes... look for specific REAR end gears if you want the most bang for the buck... there are advantages and disadvantages to both the autos and stick... have fun looking and wait till you KNOW it's the right car at the RIGHT price... DO your homework
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Save more $ imo. You aren't far off from some really nice ones at 18k. It's easily worth the extra 3k

I chose coupe, I would chose it again being I like targa. It's that simple to me.

The z06 is a better bang for the buck overall. I also think they will hold value better.

That said, it's hard to put a price on enjoyment. If you like the sun and open air; all argue nets are null. Someone in here will copy paste some slew of differences; but if you read the FAQs here you will find that 01+ Z51 coupes are damn near a z06 with a targa.

I chose 03 z51. It has a full exhaust and intake- runs bottom 12s @ 118. A z will handle better right up until I add coil overs.

Basically the options only matter if you DO keep it stock. So buy what you will enjoy most if not modding.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:15 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Jeremy23
That makes perfect sense. I'm thinking I'll buy a FRC or base model for now and save up for a year and upgrade to bigger and better things!
V_V hit it on the nose pretty well. A nice FRC or even a well taken care of 50k+ targa would meet your needs for now.
It will also give you a great feel for what these rides are all about.
Just do yourself one more favor and take your time and be willing to travel for the right car.
There are many great deals out there, and patience usually wins this race every single time.
Good luck with your search, honestly the hunt is half the damn fun.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:13 AM
druz06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I used these exact threads to help me when I was shopping. I picked up a well maintained/documented 04z06 with some miles although avg for age. Very helpful search tools and members here!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:05 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

First off, have you looked into your insurance rates on a C5? As a college student, I'm sure you will be in a pretty high bracket as far as rates go.

If you can still afford a C5 with the insurance premiums, are you sure you want a 2-seat car? I can't tell you how many times I loaded my sedan up with 4+ people in college. That hot chick you're trying to pick up might require you to drop off that fugly, too drunk, 200+ lbs roommate at the dorm...

Still want a C5, then go for it. $15k is a good budget to get a decent, mid mileage car. Look for service record history, ownership history, try to find a car without too many mods. I'd stay away from a Z06 with your budget, you'd likely be inheriting a project.

I'd say go with a coupe. FRC's are harder to find and are now starting to get a price premium in comparison to a coupe. Plus, you can store a few more things in a coupe... probably not that drunk roommate though!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 AM
Jeremy23
Intermediate

Thanks for the advise so far it's all very beneficial! And don't worry I'll be doing plenty of research! Maybe a little too much
Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 261 Posts

There is nothing wrong with either a coupe, convertible or Z06. The hatchback of the coupe gives slightly more luggage room. Not that you buy a Corvette because of it's hauling capacity but if it's your only car it may make a difference.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy23
The only logic behind purchasing a 1999-2000 FRC that you're going to find out is that good ones in good/great shape are starting to go for a bit more money than their base model targa counterparts. Especially hard to find colors for the FRC like Arctic White and Nassau Blue.

It's quite understandable though.

The hardtop coupe was made in significantly less numbers than the targa. Additionally, as six speed manual production makes up roughly 20%-35%~ total production per year depending on the year, all FRCs came with the six speed (no option to have an automatic) which guarantees you not having to hunt down a targa with a six speed if it's what you want. The definitive inclusion of the Z51 handling package helps also, while when purchasing a targa you would either have to buy one equipped with the package or upgrade yourself.

The similarity to the Z06 in appearance is also a good selling point. It only takes installation of rear brake ducts, Z06 wheels, and fender badging to have a car that looks near indistinguishable from a Z06 on the outside. And while many will obviously frown on such blatant misrepresentation it occurs with FRCs more than you may think.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:19 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

As a daily-driver for a student, I would lean more towards a well-optioned coupe. More room, more compliant ride, removable roof, available with an A4, etc.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:36 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
The only logic behind purchasing a 1999-2000 FRC that you're going to find out is that good ones in good/great shape are starting to go for a bit more money than their base model targa counterparts. Especially hard to find colors for the FRC like Arctic White and Nassau Blue.

It's quite understandable though.

The hardtop coupe was made in significantly less numbers than the targa. Additionally, as six speed manual production makes up roughly 20%-35%~ total production per year depending on the year, all FRCs came with the six speed (no option to have an automatic) which guarantees you not having to hunt down a targa with a six speed if it's what you want. The definitive inclusion of the Z51 handling package helps also, while when purchasing a targa you would either have to buy one equipped with the package or upgrade yourself.

The similarity to the Z06 in appearance is also a good selling point. It only takes installation of rear brake ducts, Z06 wheels, and fender badging to have a car that looks near indistinguishable from a Z06 on the outside. And while many will obviously frown on such blatant misrepresentation it occurs with FRCs more than you may think.
^ This. I spent a while hunting down a nice FRC in 2015. I wanted the FRC for autocross (lighter and stiffer). I definitely discovered the premium they are bringing now. I found most are asking a few thousand more than a coupe.

Maybe you find one and the owner doesn't know what he has, but given their low production and now focus for b-street/STU autocross classes, I imagine you'll save a few bucks with the coupe.

Also, a coupe w/o z51 suspension package will ride a little nicer for DD. If you have no intention of track/autocross, you won't benefit from the z51 suspension.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:24 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

If you have to stay within the 15K budget, I would go with a coupe. You could find a Z06 for 15K, but it would be a high mileage one and probably the best you could hope for is FAIR condition.

Look for an 01-02 Coupe with around 60K miles. 15K total should be about the right price for a car in this group.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:26 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by danziger
As a daily-driver for a student, I would lean more towards a well-optioned coupe. More room, more compliant ride, removable roof, available with an A4, etc.
That's all fine if he wants any of these. My Z is my DD; don't need more vertical rear storage, love the performance ride every day, don't like anything to do with removable roofs, and stick is the only way.
All depends on his preferences.
That said $15K doesn't get him a decent Z.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 base vs. Z06?

Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
That's all fine if he wants any of these. My Z is my DD; don't need more vertical rear storage, love the performance ride every day, don't like anything to do with removable roofs, and stick is the only way.
All depends on his preferences.
That said $15K doesn't get him a decent Z.
15k will be really tough to find a good z, but $15k will make a great downpayment on an $18k z!
Old 01-19-2016, 05:11 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,232 Likes on 784 Posts

As someone that could be your grandfather, here is my advice. Use all the above suggestions and most of all take your time finding the one that meets your color, transmission, type, and budget. Make a list. It took me 6 months to find one that met my “must haves”. Do not get caught up in the hunt hype. Stay focus on your list. And you will do fine even if you have to compromise on something in your list (like color that I did) to get the C5 that you know is the one. Good luck looking. I is fun
Old 01-19-2016, 08:08 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeremy23, where are you located? That way locals can keep an eye out on some for sale

Quick Reply: C5 base vs. Z06?