Thoughts on scraping with a lowered vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 01:16 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Thoughts on scraping with a lowered vehicle

I have a 2004 coupe that I have removed the front bolt completely and maxed out the rears. Finally sits perfect for me. But I have a slight annoyance...I scrape my front air dam when pulling out/backing in my driveway. I've lived with this for a year now, even trimming about an inch off the air dams and I have frame rail fangs installed. I did some testing today to see exactly how close I am and where I am hitting, both going out straight and at an angle. When the front wheels get to the curb gutter, the front end hits the street scrapping the air dam and getting VERY close to the frame rail fangs, but not touching. I can fit two fingers between the front fascia and the street at its worst point.

The reason all this is becoming important at this point, is because I bought a c5r front splitter and I don't want to damage it. Thinking maybe some fatt mamas may help, but will they really "lift" the front end to give me more clearance?

Or should I sacrifice some wheel gap look and add a rubber bushing back to the front end?

Not much I can do to the street and too much money to regrade a driveway at the moment. I've looked in the bridjit curb thing but very costly if it doesn't work.

I think maybe half an inch would be about all I need to prevent the current scrapping and give me extra peace of mind room for the front splitter.

What would you do?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:56 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Mine is also really low. The only place I deal with the same issue is MY OWN driveway.

Solution = redo the drive. That's what I'm doing lol
Old 02-28-2016, 03:09 PM
57gman
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Same Issue

I live at the bottom of a hill and had a "speed bump" put in by the township to stop rain water from coming in drive way.

My neighbor to my right lets me drive a cross my lawn to get to his drive in and out! Buy him a case a beer every year.
The following users liked this post:
Movie Muscle (03-17-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 03:56 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

Mine sits low as well so I have to go really slow over bumps and dips
never any problems on the highway just parking lots and such
Old 02-28-2016, 04:45 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by RSbeast
Mine is also really low. The only place I deal with the same issue is MY OWN driveway.

Solution = redo the drive. That's what I'm doing lol

I'm looking at moving to a different house and one of my requirements is a driveway I can get in/out of without scraping
My current driveway I scrape everytime

Old 02-28-2016, 04:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

For me, the solution would be simple - I'd raise the car a little to give a bit more clearance to the air dam. I have the same problem. My drive is step right where the street meets the drive and even at stock height I still scrape a bit. Won't be lowering mine at all
Old 02-28-2016, 05:01 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

don't worry about it, the air damn is pretty much useless anyways, everyone who lowered scrapes the hell out of it , it is what it is

You will eventually scrape the underside of your car as well, its all part of the game
Old 02-28-2016, 05:29 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
I would disagree regarding the center air dam. It's there to direct airflow to the radiator when you're moving down the road.
Many people have taken it off and noticed no difference at all in engine temps

I will be taking mine off this season as well
Old 02-28-2016, 05:30 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Also OP, they are cheap, so if you do care about having it, you can always keep replacing them every couple years as they wear out from scraping
Old 02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

I don't believe that's true either. Some have shaved them a little so they don't extend down as much (to avoid scraping) but I seriously doubt what you claim.
ok, instead of taking the time to research it lets just have it your way

Hey OP, the little flimsy pieces of rubber that hang off the bottom of your car are CRUCIAL to the performance of your vehicle, without them your car will overheat and burn itself up

Raise your car now, before you do any damage, I repeat, raise your car back to stock height before you do permanent damage

Old 02-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Many people have taken it off and noticed no difference at all in engine temps

I will be taking mine off this season as well
I'm going to bite my tongue here... just simply clueless.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Hey OP, the little flimsy pieces of rubber that hang off the bottom of your car are CRUCIAL to the performance of your vehicle, without them your car will overheat and burn itself up

Raise your car now, before you do any damage, I repeat, raise your car back to stock height before you do permanent damage

glad for this sarcastic remark. it gives some credibility to my bite my tongue... clueless post... I hate it when clueless people offer advice that is completely contrary to the design of this engine and it very sensitive cooling system. So sensitive a very special oil additive for heat shear and saturation had to be formulated, and this guy wants to take the directional aid off the car.. Bottom feeders need all the help they can get... No fans after 35 mph.. so its grab and scoop only... Lastly I will say, Be very careful who you listen too here and. with that last suggestion, I'm going to put this guy on ignore. Trying to defend people from very bad advice has always been part of my reason for being here. But I just can't stand bad advice. I feel sorry for those who are Not careful who they listen too. IM happy not to have to read anymore of this guy's drivel. IM unhappy that he could do some real damage to an unsuspecting member.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 02-28-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:41 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

To install my C5R front splitter, I had to remove the factory air dams.
The C5R front splitter lets the air go through the middle and at the back directs it up to the radiator. Basically produces the same results.
I would have to disagree on not running either, because there would be nothing directing air to the radiator.

As for your ride height, being as low as you are now, you're going to tear the heck out of your splitter. I am all the way down on my front bolts and i have 3 1/2 inches of clearance from my splitter to the ground. Any lower and your really asking for trouble. I have to be very aware at all times for road debris, and pulling in and out of parking lots (always at an angle).
I would like to be lower too, but it just isn't possible. Still looks much better than factory height though. IMO
Old 02-28-2016, 08:05 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Hey *****, I base my disagreement with you on the FACT that many others here AGREE with ME and would DISAGREE with YOU. That's the research I've done. What research have you done to refute it, smart@ss? Furthermore, it just makes sense that, being a bottom breather because there's no front grille for air to flow through into the radiator, that something has to deflect air up and into the radiator. Does that even seem logical to you? Before putting your mouth into gear, maybe you should really first engage your brain, huh?
When is the only time you notice your engine temps getting hot?

is it when your cruising down the street at 30-40-50 mph?

Is it when your flying down the highway ?

NO, its when your sitting dead at a stop light , or idling in traffic.

Do you think that air damn is doing anything at a dead stop to cool the engine, its not doing a damn thing.

Sure the air damn might "help" steer a little extra air there, maybe it will even cool the engine by 5 degrees or so, but people have taken it off, and they've noticed no real difference.

Like I said, do some research, many people have taken it off completely and its had ZERO affect on the engine temps.

I will be doing the same to mine come spring

By the way you seem to be spending a lot of time here in this thread, perhaps you should go back to being Cindys white knight in her car crash thread , you were really putting in a big effort there , wouldn't want to lose progress
Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
glad for this sarcastic remark. it gives some credibility to my bite my tongue... clueless post... I hate it when clueless people offer advice that is completely contrary to the design of this engine and it very sensitive cooling system. So sensitive a very special oil additive for heat shear and saturation had to be formulated, and this guy wants to take the directional aid off the car.. Bottom feeders need all the help they can get... No fans after 35 mph.. so its grab and scoop only... Lastly I will say, Be very careful who you listen too here and. with that last suggestion, I'm going to put this guy on ignore. Trying to defend people from very bad advice has always been part of my reason for being here. But I just can't stand bad advice. I feel sorry for those who are Not careful who they listen too. IM happy not to have to read anymore of this guy's drivel. IM unhappy that he could do some real damage to an unsuspecting member.
Bill aka ET
Bill, you are so wrong in pretty much 75% of the threads you post in

Whether its about wheels, tires, or the latest one....polishers, its the same **** retentive , "live by the text book-not in real life" drivel time and time again

So many times you've put your own foot in your mouth, and that's fine, we all make mistakes, the problem is your never man enough to admit it
Old 02-28-2016, 08:13 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I mean the thing is on spring (center)...it's designed to get drug around, albeit only 1 way.

The sides flex; and you can buy all 3 for $100.

I'd make sure it can breathe no matter; but that's not really the OPs issue
Old 02-28-2016, 08:23 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

When is the only time you notice your engine temps getting hot?

is it when your cruising down the street at 30-40-50 mph?

Is it when your flying down the highway ?

NO, its when your sitting dead at a stop light , or idling in traffic.

Do you think that air damn is doing anything at a dead stop to cool the engine, its not doing a damn thing.

Sure the air damn might "help" steer a little extra air there, maybe it will even cool the engine by 5 degrees or so, but people have taken it off, and they've noticed no real difference.

Like I said, do some research, many people have taken it off completely and its had ZERO affect on the engine temps.

I will be doing the same to mine come spring

By the way you seem to be spending a lot of time here in this thread, perhaps you should go back to being Cindys white knight in her car crash thread , you were really putting in a big effort there , wouldn't want to lose progress

Bill, you are so wrong in pretty much 75% of the threads you post in

Whether its about wheels, tires, or the latest one....polishers, its the same **** retentive , "live by the text book-not in real life" drivel time and time again

So many times you've put your own foot in your mouth, and that's fine, we all make mistakes, the problem is your never man enough to admit it
...... vs. ,...,..."can't we all get along" !! .....
Old 02-28-2016, 08:26 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Had my '04 lowered on the stock bolts. Scraped the front air dam a little but they're tough as nails. I was more worried about speed bumps. Going over those too fast made the bottom of the car hit. Hit too hard and you crack fiberglass.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on scraping with a lowered vehicle

Old 02-28-2016, 08:29 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Thoughts on scraping with a lowered vehicle

Perhaps my original question was not clear enough. The air dam is annoying, but I've lived with it this long, so I can continue to do so if needed. But I'm adding a C5R splitter and don't want to break it. I think I'll just sacrife the "look" for peace of mind to save the splitter (and annoying sound of the air dam). Wad trying to get opinions on the frame wheels called fatt mammas, or other suggestions to get the car up a bit without changing the stance.

To those on here that understood the concern, thank you for your responses.

To those that just want to argue the value of the air dam, please exit stage left as you are offering nothing of value to my post.

Last edited by imgn tht; 02-28-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
To install my C5R front splitter, I had to remove the factory air dams.
The C5R front splitter lets the air go through the middle and at the back directs it up to the radiator. Basically produces the same results.
I would have to disagree on not running either, because there would be nothing directing air to the radiator.

As for your ride height, being as low as you are now, you're going to tear the heck out of your splitter. I am all the way down on my front bolts and i have 3 1/2 inches of clearance from my splitter to the ground. Any lower and your really asking for trouble. I have to be very aware at all times for road debris, and pulling in and out of parking lots (always at an angle).
I would like to be lower too, but it just isn't possible. Still looks much better than factory height though. IMO
Thank you for your response, I'm curious now to measure where my fascia bottom is relevant to the ground today. When I said two fingers that was when the front was angled down. This could mean the difference between keeping the splitter or not.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

I have been on this forum for awhile now and almost every night I check in and listen to the good advice given here by reputable experienced Vette owners.

One of the issues I have seen repetitively is someone comes on here complaining about overheating after they have removed the center air dam...live and learn.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on scraping with a lowered vehicle