resealing rear window on 2000 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:29 PM
gjs525
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default resealing rear window on 2000 Convertible

For those experiencing the rear window coming loose on your C5 convertible - I just repaired mine using RHINO glue - it sets up quickly - and it holds. The glue is available only on the internet - costs about $30. Lots of instructions ( written and on youtube ) to actually do the repair.
If you have questions let me know and I'll offer my "experienced opinion" for what that is worth
GJS525
Old 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Button
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear window Question..........??

Originally Posted by gjs525
For those experiencing the rear window coming loose on your C5 convertible - I just repaired mine using RHINO glue - it sets up quickly - and it holds. The glue is available only on the internet - costs about $30. Lots of instructions ( written and on youtube ) to actually do the repair.
If you have questions let me know and I'll offer my "experienced opinion" for what that is worth
GJS525
I also am getting ready to glue my window as soon as The Rhino glue...get's here
Must say I am really nervous and not real sure I can do this can I call you? I live in Florida where it's 100 degrees everyday?? Anyway my phone number down here is 941-769-3021... the number you show is not working...................I'll call you if I have a number
Thanks in advance, Byron Velvick
Old 07-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good offer from the OP.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did mine in about 30 minutes. I bought two expandable shower curtain rods. Wedge them behind the window and the dash. It is amazingly easy. Start in the middle and work your way left and right. Rhino glue is the only glue I've ever used that actually did what it said it would do. Use small amounts and press the top against the glass and hold it for 30 seconds. Work slowly and take care to make sure you have a good seal. Leave the rods in overnight. I did mine two years ago and it has stayed sealed with no issues. Call me or text me if you want some help. Paul
Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 AM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I repaired mine with Rhino glue, what seems like at least 10 years ago. Still going strong.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

I used epoxy, lasted a long time. Just prop the front of the top up with a 2x4. Clean glass well, apply epoxy. Put weights on top above glass and prop a broom handle against the glass inside.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:59 PM
claf
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

My window popped loose this past weekend. I have ordered the Rhino glue and await it's delivery. One question. Do you have to glue in the fabric around the glass to the roof material or only the glass ? I noticed when the top is folded there is some strain on the top where the window fits at the bottom of the stack.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by claf
My window popped loose this past weekend. I have ordered the Rhino glue and await it's delivery. One question. Do you have to glue in the fabric around the glass to the roof material or only the glass ? I noticed when the top is folded there is some strain on the top where the window fits at the bottom of the stack.
Read the directions on the glue, should tell you if you have to apply to both.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:34 AM
durmax
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear glass

im trying to find where to buy the glue.and some instuctions on how to do it,thanks for any help
Old 05-14-2021, 12:00 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

I fixed my rear window 7 years ago. At that time, there was another product available that I used that is still working great, as I said, 7 years, 20,000+miles later. The product I used was 3M Window Weld. GREAT product. My window was still partially attached, so positioning it was easier than it would have been had it come loose. I also used real strong suction cups, maybe 2"-3" diameter, cups had built in handles, on the outside of the glass. I used motorcycle tie-downs to tension it, that were hooked to hooks in the garage rafters. No leaks, air or water. I used 3M because some members at that point in time said Rhino glue had worked, but lasted only several years, where the 3M product held up longer. Who knows, could be install quality was a factor. Surface prep is a big part of it, I think. I cleaned the glass thoroughly, and wiped the fabric thoroughly, as well. The window repair has now lasted half as long as whatever GM used originally, and still no signs of trouble. Hope this helps......

Last edited by grinder11; 05-14-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:02 PM
MWWarlord
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,939 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22

I did this, and found that it is a good bit of work for a very temporary solution. I eventually had the top replaced. The new top has a lifetime warranty on the rear window.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:40 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

I do not plan on replacing a perfectly fine top in my vert because of a window issue. After owning the '04 for 3 years, the rear window let loose. I repaired it using RINO super glue. It lasted 2 years. Then I had to do it again in this year. Others have used the 3M product called Window Weld item number 08j609. I bought the product and will use this product when and if the window lets loose again. I just consider this another maintenance issue because of the lousy GM oversight for quality control on their vendors they used.

The following users liked this post:
grinder11 (05-16-2021)
Old 05-16-2021, 09:37 AM
TCFS
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 317 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I used VHB tape 5952F from 3M. it is made for this and after more than a year, in the cold and wet of sweden, it holds well.
it is "easy" to prepare in several steps compared to glue IMHO.

Old 05-16-2021, 11:02 AM
grinder11
Race Director

Just remembered what I used for suction cups, and wanted to add to my previous post. They were the ones with built in handles, the kind some people use in the shower to steady themselves. Usually 2 suction cups about 5" apart, with the handle connecting each cup. I used 2 of these (4 cups total), one on each end of the window. I also used pillows behind the seats, to help hold the window in place, and keep the glass against the fabric. I believe I also lowered the top a slight amount to try to provide extra pressure. Hope this helps someone.....
Old 05-16-2021, 01:15 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

The first time I used Rhino glue,the bond lasted about 3 years before letting go. Now the longest hold time as been about 6 months,with new glue each time.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:05 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Originally Posted by old stingray
The first time I used Rhino glue,the bond lasted about 3 years before letting go. Now the longest hold time as been about 6 months,with new glue each time.
Scrape/wipe all the old glue off, maybe try a small amount of brake cleaner on the fabric, only where the bonding/glue point between glass and fabric is. This is the reason I tried the 3M Window weld, because I saw the failure rate of the Rhino. I don't know why some have good luck, and others don't. All I can say is I live in Michigan, where some of the roads are horrible. How horrible? All 4 wheels on my CTS were bent horrible, which is pretty bad!! Point being, my window has had to endure some pretty nasty roads here, and still good after 7 years. Nothing more I can say. The 3m is still doing its job. I will say it's a black gooey mess to work with. Keep plenty of brake cleaner handy to wipe off excess on glass, and if it gets on fabric, I don't know if it's possible to get it off. I was extremely careful around the fabric, because I knew I could get minor amounts off the glass. Best of luck to you.....
The following users liked this post:
old stingray (05-19-2021)
Old 05-19-2021, 08:23 PM
old stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Scrape/wipe all the old glue off, maybe try a small amount of brake cleaner on the fabric, only where the bonding/glue point between glass and fabric is. This is the reason I tried the 3M Window weld, because I saw the failure rate of the Rhino. I don't know why some have good luck, and others don't. All I can say is I live in Michigan, where some of the roads are horrible. How horrible? All 4 wheels on my CTS were bent horrible, which is pretty bad!! Point being, my window has had to endure some pretty nasty roads here, and still good after 7 years. Nothing more I can say. The 3m is still doing its job. I will say it's a black gooey mess to work with. Keep plenty of brake cleaner handy to wipe off excess on glass, and if it gets on fabric, I don't know if it's possible to get it off. I was extremely careful around the fabric, because I knew I could get minor amounts off the glass. Best of luck to you.....
Thanks for the info grinder.

Get notified of new replies

To resealing rear window on 2000 Convertible

Quick Reply: resealing rear window on 2000 Convertible