Sponsored by:

[Z06] Remove key and wait ten seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:17 PM
eps930
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Remove key and wait ten seconds

REMOVE KEY AND WAIT TEN SECONDS is the message when my 2002 Z06 stalls upon initial start-up, maybe once in every twenty starts.
I follow the order, reinsert the key, start the car and everything functions as expected.

Question is: What causes this annoying problem and is thre an adjustment or fix, within practical cost.

Thanks

Eldon
Old 03-25-2016, 12:42 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

How about search function and $25?
LMC5 is what you need. Buy it, install it (unlike me, but I will one day), problem fixed.
What is the capacity of your battery? How often do you drive you car?
Mine is 95RC (I feel that's low), and I only get the warning when I haven't driven the car for a few days (rare, it's my DD) and it's cold.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 PM
eps930
Instructor

I have LMC5 installed. Car is driven once, twice or maybe three times a week - depending on beer and wine needs. Will check battery voltage.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:25 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eps930
I have LMC5 installed. Car is driven once, twice or maybe three times a week - depending on beer and wine needs. Will check battery voltage.
Check RC rating, SB in the 120 range. AFAIK with LMC5 installed you shouldn't get the warning... perhaps missed something when installing?
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM
eps930
Instructor

Please advise the meaning of acronyms RC, SB, AFAIK.

Thanks again
Old 03-25-2016, 01:35 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

RC stands for recovery coefficient when referencing a car battery. Higher the number the better (for a C5 Z06 at least). I think they recommend a 120RC. It's effectively the number of minutes the battery can hold a load (XX amps) while maintaining greater than 10 volts.

IF you have the LCM5 you shouldn't be getting the problem you are describing.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:44 PM
eps930
Instructor

Thanks for the info.

I would now guess that my LMC5 is faulty. A cheap replacement.

I will pursue RC. Any suggestion of procedure?

Eldon
Old 03-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Trash
Racer

Your LMC5 may not be faulty but instead installed incorrectly. Verify installation. I don't have that system installed as I used the CLB (column lock bybpass) mod which pre-dates the LMC5. I believe the LMC5 is a better/more eloquent solution.

Regarding the battery I got a factory AC/Delco battery from a local Chevy dealership parts counter. I think it ran $108 or so. Its one of the few that have a high enough RC and fits. Don't let people scare you about the factory batteries leaking as that WAS an issue in the past, but not now.

Best of luck.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:11 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by eps930
Please advise the meaning of acronyms RC, SB, AFAIK.

Thanks again
Pretty sure RC = reserve capacity as opposed to recovery coefficient.
SB = should be
AFAIK = as far as I know
Old 03-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by grantv
Pretty sure RC = reserve capacity as opposed to recovery coefficient.
SB = should be
AFAIK = as far as I know
Yes, reserve capacity. Brain was thinking one thing while fingers typed something else. I apologize for the confusion.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
How about search function and $25?
LMC5 is what you need. Buy it, install it (unlike me, but I will one day), problem fixed.
What is the capacity of your battery? How often do you drive you car?
Mine is 95RC (I feel that's low), and I only get the warning when I haven't driven the car for a few days (rare, it's my DD) and it's cold.
NOPE! Both the OP and I have th LMC5 (correctly) installed.We still get the message and problem (stalliing). Richard at LMC told me "When you get the 'pull key and wait 10 seconds' message, just do that and you will be fine".................I STILL get the message, so the OP question is valid. ie WHAT is the root cause of the message and problem????????
Old 03-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Trash
Racer

The root cause goes back to the original design of the steering column. Under normal circumstances (in a non-modded car) there is a pin that locks the steering column when the ignition key is removed. When starting the car the solenoid/motor that drives the pin would sometimes fail in the locked position thus rendering steering inoperative (pin would not retract from steering column). If this happens the car won't let you move (no steering) and fuel cut off occurs at 2 mph. So people went looking for a solution to this common problem.

The message "Pull Key and wait 10 sec" was telling the operator to try again (remove key) and see if the lock pin would retract.

There are two potential issues: 1) the locking pin assembly may have failed, OR 2) battery voltage is low.

The Z06 electrical system is somewhat finicky and needs to see good voltage for everything to work properly. So the first step in trouble shooting the problem is to make sure you have a good battery and charging system. If that is taken care of then we can address the column lock mechanism.

The Column Lock Bypass (CLB) module or the LMC5 both bypass the factory column lock pin motor assembly, but they do it in different ways. Basically they cause the column lock pin motor to retract the pin and leave it there (steering doesn't lock) they send a fake signal to the remaining car systems that the pin is locking and unlocking normally

You may have a pin that hasn't unlocked all the way, or again, battery voltage is low. I have the CLB system installed (LMC5 hadn't been developed yet) and if I wear the battery down I will get the pull key and wait 10 sec message in spite of having the CLB installed.

I hope this cliff notes version sheds some light on the background. I can't stress the battery enough. Make sure you are holding a solid 12+ volts under load.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 12:48 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
NOPE! Both the OP and I have th LMC5 (correctly) installed.We still get the message and problem (stalliing). Richard at LMC told me "When you get the 'pull key and wait 10 seconds' message, just do that and you will be fine".................I STILL get the message, so the OP question is valid. ie WHAT is the root cause of the message and problem????????
I've said it in other posts and asked about the OP's, I do think a 120RC or better battery is the best fix.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:48 PM
eps930
Instructor

Thanks all for the info.

EPS
Old 03-27-2016, 04:07 AM
QuiksilvrZ
Instructor

Something to consider: I continued to have the "pull key" code after doing the CLB on my car, then I was travelling a lot and the car sat for a couple months. Came back and started up fine until everything died within 5 miles, so I said, oh typical GM alternator dying fast like that and dropped a new one in. Also sent my Red Top to Interstate in Irwindale to have them charge and test after I did it myself, and it came back with positive results. Put the battery back in and started it up, and voltage was still low. Ended up being a stupid cracked started solenoid and returned the new alternator. No more code or stalling.

Last edited by QuiksilvrZ; 03-27-2016 at 04:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
63Corvette (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:04 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Op: did you do the brown wire mod while installing the LMC5?

If not I bet this is your problem.

Also Compliance Parts have amazing customer service you could call them.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 PM
Trash
Racer

Originally Posted by QuiksilvrZ
Something to consider: I continued to have the "pull key" code after doing the CLB on my car, then I was travelling a lot and the car sat for a couple months. Came back and started up fine until everything died within 5 miles, so I said, oh typical GM alternator dying fast like that and dropped a new one in. Also sent my Red Top to Interstate in Irwindale to have them charge and test after I did it myself, and it came back with positive results. Put the battery back in and started it up, and voltage was still low. Ended up being a stupid cracked started solenoid and returned the new alternator. No more code or stalling.
Thanks. Good information to put in the troubleshooting tool box.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:46 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

And it doesn't help that most owners are clueless these days that regular batteries need attention every 6 months or so, pull the caps and add distilled water to each cell that is low and you battery will last a lot longer. I upgraded to an Odyssey Gel in mine so no more checking, but my M3 I still check every 6 months.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove key and wait ten seconds

Quick Reply: [Z06] Remove key and wait ten seconds