Waterless Anti-Freeze

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:48 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Waterless Anti-Freeze

Has anyone used this product to help reduce possibility of their engine running hot ??

Jim
Old 03-26-2016, 02:34 PM
BMERETR
Keep The Shiny Sine Up
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BRAVO1
Has anyone used this product to help reduce possibility of their engine running hot ??

Jim
I run Evans coolant system
works great
follow the install set up to remove all of the old coolant/water as they do not play well

Old 03-26-2016, 05:28 PM
BRAVO1
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks will do.....
Old 03-26-2016, 07:38 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

GM (like all other car companies) does extensive testing to insure that coolant temps stay within a range that keeps the engine from serious overheating. And engine temps in today's cars are higher than cars from years ago. The higher engine temps are necessary to reduce emissions.

The PCM is programmed to allow higher temps and cooling fans typically don't start until the coolant reaches something like 235-240. Then temps will go down to around 195-200.

Abnormally high coolant temps usually mean that there is a problem. Debris can collect in front of the radiator and A/C condensor and that will cut the flow of air through the radiator which reduces the efficiency of the radiator. A thermostat not fully opening can be another cause of too high temps. A bad pressure cap can cause overheating as can a upper or lower radiator hose that is collapsing.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:44 PM
4deatr
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BMERETR
I run Evans coolant system
works great
follow the install set up to remove all of the old coolant/water as they do not play well

Old 03-27-2016, 04:19 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm sure that somebody will answer your question....maybe.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

From reading finds from a google search, it seems waterless coolant does not transfer heat from the engine to the radiator nearly as efficiently as water and antifreeze. The result is that the engine will run hotter under severe conditions. There are positives to using the coolant but given the cost and the trouble to change out the Dexcool, it may not be worth it to most. Dexcool has worked well for me the past 12 years that I've owned the car. I've drained the radiator and refilled about every three to four years and had no problems so I think I'll stay with what I have.

I made the mods you see in my signature last summer and while the car was apart I replaced the radiator and all of the hoses because it was easy with everything out and disconnected anyway. I took the plastic tanks off of the radiator so that the aluminum could be recycled and the interior of the radiator was clean with almost no corrosion or scale buildup. I'd have a hard time convincing my myself at this point that Dexcool isn't a pretty good product for cooling systems.

Get notified of new replies

To Waterless Anti-Freeze

Quick Reply: Waterless Anti-Freeze