Sponsored by:

Changed rear wheel hub yesterday - Should have made a video

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:08 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Changed rear wheel hub yesterday - Should have made a video

Carefully studied the threads and watched youtube videos on changing C5 rear hub. Then dug into it. Jack it up - check no problem. Remove wheel - check no problem. Remove axle nut - grunt, grunt, 4 foot cheater pipe on breaker bar and my last bit of strength POP it's finally loose. Beer break.

Remove brake caliper - Check no problem. Remove caliper bracket - grunt, grunt grunt no way to get cheater pipe on. Ok looks like knuckle and rotor can come off as one piece. Remove tie rod end - Check no problem. Unplug wheel speed sensor - check no problem. Remove emergency brake bracket check no problem. Unhook emergency brake cable check no problem. Remove upper ball joint stud - Check no problem. Wheel puller to pull hub off axle - Check no problem. Remove lower ball joint stud - check no problem. Knuckle with rotor off - whew not too bad. Beer break.

Back to the caliper bracket bolts - vice, breaker bar, cheater pipe grunt, grunt, grunt no budge. Beer break.

Ride to Harbor Freight buy Impact Wrench. Back to caliper bolts. Rata Tat Tat zing they are loose. Tork bolts in hub Rata Tat Tat zing they are loose. New hub in place. Torks bolts back in place and torque to spec.
Rotor back on. Brake caliper (blue locktite not going to use RED!) Bracket bolts torque to spec. Beer break.

Lower ball joint stud in place, Hub engaged to axle. That was easy! Upper ball joint stud in place and torqued to spec. OH #@%* I can't get nut on lower ball joint. Dummy why didn't you do that first? Remove upper ball joint stud. Wheel puller to get hub off again. Tighten lower ball joint stud to spec. Slip hub back on. Upper ball joint back in place and tighten to spec. Brake caliper OH %$#&%## where I hung caliper is now pinned tight under axle and won't budge
Beer break.

Consider using BFH. No that won't work. Remove upper ball joint. Wheel puller to get hub off axle. Lift axle move caliper to safe place.
Slip hub back on axle. Upper ball joint back in place AGAIN. Hook on emergency brake cable. Mount emergency brake bracket. Plug in wheel sensor. Brake pads and caliper back on. Tie rod end back in place. Axle nut on and torqued to one of the many specs out there (I chose 118 ft/lb). Wheel back on. Let car down. Take for a ride. Ahhhh no wheel bearing howl.

Beer break!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:31 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

The following users liked this post:
UM Rebel (04-01-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Man, I feel for you. Sounds like some of the projects I get involved in.
The following users liked this post:
UM Rebel (03-31-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:10 AM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Man, I feel for you. Sounds like some of the projects I get involved in.
Picture awesome youtube video with selfies at two OH $%#&* points.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:58 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Man that does sound like my luck. Except if I took that many beer breaks I wouldn't have been able to finish the job. I quit drinking about 28 years ago and it wouldn't take much to get me over the top anymore.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:40 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Whew! I was almost getting a headache from reading that tome.

Maaaaybe save the "beer breaks" for afterwards next time.

Get notified of new replies

To Changed rear wheel hub yesterday - Should have made a video

Quick Reply: Changed rear wheel hub yesterday - Should have made a video