Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] first time going to a race on my Z need advice......

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 10:25 PM
MrKool
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default first time going to a race on my Z need advice......

Hi All,
A friend of mine suggested that i take my Z to a NCCA race. I checked somethigns and it looks like the race will in parking lot. I dunno if the parking lot will be concrete or tar. But i think they will make some kind of track out of that parking lot. So as this NCCA is a BMW thing most fo the cars will be BMWS so i think i should be fine but this is the first time i am racing on a track or a course i have raced in a straight lien many times and i have also raced on ROAD :) ( i am from Pakistan ) so if any of you have ever been to Pakistan or have driven in Pakistan i think you would know handlingis not an issue for me but i never had a corvette in Pakistan.

So basically i just want to know little things like i am planning to keep AH on but wil turn traction off. If pushing the car harder will make it spin on turns or AH will take over? or shoudl i brake or shift down on turns? any tips would be really appriciated.

Thanx all
Old 09-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Rebelskum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: first time going to a race on my Z need advice...... (MrKool)

If you haven't all ready, MrKool, check out the Autocrossing/Roadracing section of the forum and look around. I've seen quite a few posts asking the same question recently, so read up on those and if you still have a question, go ahead and post there....lots of experience in there.

From what you described, it sounds like it's an Autocross. You may want to take a performance driving school instead. But that's up to you. Either way, bring an instructor or experienced individual with you on your runs.

Put AH in Competition Mode, and it may save you from a spin or other bad stuff. And try not to shift in a turn, and remember to brake while in a straight line.

:cheers:
Old 09-11-2002, 04:58 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: first time going to a race on my Z need advice...... (MrKool)

I have to confess, I haven't been to an autocross yet - but I've been looking into them.

My advice... GO. Don't worry about seriously hurting your car. You will run over a few cones if you slide out, but it is EXTREMELY rare for anyone to wreck at an autocross.

You are racing the clock, not any other cars.

Another piece of advice, since you ask about braking and shifting - go to http://www.amazon.com and order some racing books. Just do a search on racing and you should find some good ones. Drive to Win: The Essential Guide to Race Driving by Carroll Smith isn't a bad place to start.

You'll learn a lot - I did. I bought about eight or nine of those type books when I got my 2000. I had been driving Mustangs and never really worried too much about the turns. With the C5 I decided it was time to make sure that it really was a good idea to get into the gas pedal mid-turn. It always FELT right to me, but I figured I see if it WAS right and WHY.

Next, don't feel like you have to win this one. Just go and have a good time learning how it works.

Finally, a driving school is a great idea except for one thing. It is expensive. If you have the time, money and inclination - do it. However, don't let that stop you from going to the autocross anyway.

Look up Solo I and Solo II on the web and you should find some links that will help you!

Good luck and report back after you get done - I'd like to hear about it.

[Modified by Tom Steele, 2:59 PM 9/11/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To first time going to a race on my Z need advice......

Quick Reply: [Z06] first time going to a race on my Z need advice......