New Buyer, Help me decide please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:02 PM
Smp5165
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buyer, Help me decide please

Hey All,

New to this forum, lot of good stuff here.

Anyways,

I currently have a 2006 GTO modified with bolt ons only and currently sits at 375 rwhp and 375 rwtq. I've had the GTO for the past 6 years but its time to upgrade to a corvette. I want something that handles a lot better.

I am currently looking at an 03 Z06, electron blue, with ~40K miles. From what I can tell it looks to be completely stock (Going for a second look at it tomorrow). I currently have the dealer down to $22K since its been sitting on the lot for a while. I'm hoping to get them down even more.

I have also been keeping my eyes open for a 2008+ C6 to have the LS3.

What are your thoughts? I love the idea of the Z06 because of the great handling and "top of the line model". I also really like the price in comparison to the 08+ C6's that I have found. My only concern is that I would be going to a 3 year older car and smaller engine. Current GTO has the LS2. Am I making too big of a deal out this? I have read several forums debating both C5 Z06 vs C6 but looking for some more feedback to those who may have come from a similar situation. I know the C6 has a better interior already but I am more concerned with performance rather than luxury.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-18-2016, 04:19 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

I'd drive both and let that be your deciding factor. I love the race car feel of the C5Z, plenty HP/#, feels great for a DD to me.
If you get the 03, make sure the valve springs have been or get replaced.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,036 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Great advice from grantz

This should help you: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...003/index.html

I prefer a C5 Z06 to an LS3 C6 however an '08 is 5 years newer. You can't go wriong with either, depends on your preference.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:47 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

I like the cosmetics of the c5 z better but also like the thought of ls3.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:05 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

It really depends upon what you are looking for, daily driver or weekend warrior.

The best advice is drive both and make your decision based upon how you feel in each. If this is a daily, you may want the C6. If a weekend warrior, the C5 Z06.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:23 PM
Smp5165
Cruising

This will not be a daily driver. Just a car to have fun with when it's nice. Possibly a couple track days too.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:44 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

When I got my '02 Z in 2011, it had 16k miles on it. Before I finalized the purchase I had the opportunity to drive a brand new 2012 base. After I got out of the 12, I called the PO of the Z and finalized the deal. Me and my Z enjoyed a number of HPDE and AutoX.
A lot of people pick on the c5 interior. I understand most of it, tho' it doesn't affect me. What is rarely mentioned in "which should I buy?" Threads like this is the overall comfort of the c5, in particular the roomy cabin. Yes, the base seats could use the adjustments found in the sport seats, but since it was my first of any car like it, Ignorance was bliss. Now that I'm in my second '02 with sport seats, I feel that difference.
As for the "ambience" of the interior with the oft mentioned "acres of vinyl", I merely take that as a challenge. From my own observations, I think the c5 is the most modified Corvette interior. There's an abundance of vendors with lots of options allowing one to truly personalize their car.

Last edited by chasboy; 07-18-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 PM
Nasbluec5
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

A corvette in any form will be a more "raw" car than a Gto. Honestly just because an ls1 is .3 liters smaller doesn't make it less of a car. The corvette was engineered from the ground up, the Gto is just a Holden in left hand drive. Not to mention your pushing around 400 more lbs in the goat, that's like having 40 hp less compared to a z06.

For me the price jump to an 08 c6 wasn't justifiable to me when it's the same exact car structurally. You're paying over 10k more for what? A little nicer interior, a t6060, and an ls3.

I will say the c5 might not be the right choice if you don't appreciate your car needing attention with little things that can and do fail. For me this is a non issue but to others they may turn them away.

No one buys a c5 for the interior quality, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I bought it for the drive, not to oogle over the interior.

Good luck in your hunt and hope you find whatever makes you happy.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasbluec5
A corvette in any form will be a more "raw" car than a Gto. Honestly just because an ls1 is .3 liters smaller doesn't make it less of a car. The corvette was engineered from the ground up, the Gto is just a Holden in left hand drive. Not to mention your pushing around 400 more lbs in the goat, that's like having 40 hp less compared to a z06.

For me the price jump to an 08 c6 wasn't justifiable to me when it's the same exact car structurally. You're paying over 10k more for what? A little nicer interior, a t6060, and an ls3.

I will say the c5 might not be the right choice if you don't appreciate your car needing attention with little things that can and do fail. For me this is a non issue but to others they may turn them away.

No one buys a c5 for the interior quality, but it doesn't bother me in the least. I bought it for the drive, not to oogle over the interior.

Good luck in your hunt and hope you find whatever makes you happy.
ummmmm, well, you understand the Holden was just as "engineered from the ground up" to be a Monaro & to be a badass muscle/performance car as the C5 right? And neither were "from the ground up" both were preceded by earlier generations that were further engineered. In fact, the reason the GTO came stateside is b/c wussy-lame-*** US GM couldn't EVEN BUILD A RWD SEDAN. So they did a little frankensteining w/ the Zeta platform which HOLDEN developed for US in all RWD vehicles '03+ After GM USA got their sh*t together they took the Zeta a step further stiffenening & reducing weight w/ the Alpha platform that is used in most RWD applications now 2012+

Sorry, but since I owned both a GTO & a G8 GT (which, btw, is an unreal bang for the buck & to date the best overall blend of performance, utility, size, & looks I've seen in a car that stickered south of $40gs) I had to set you straight.

To the OP - GTO's are good muscle cars, great GT cars, not-so-great sports cars. They don't handle well, are heavy, and the weight isn't distributed right - they mostly got this right w/ the G8, which is roughly 250 lbs heavier than a GTO, but is a 4 door w/ near perfect 50-50 weight distribution and is WAY WAY bigger - like in between a 5 and 7 series bimer.

The C5Z is going to be equal parts muscle/sports car, punches WAY above its weight class, & since a stock 02+ C5Z nearly dynos stock what your GTO is putting down now while weighing 6-700 lbs less, you will already be ahead of the curve so to speak.

I like the mod potential of the LS3 & the fact that it is a newer design, but the interior, suspension, brakes, & body are not really any "better' (except if you get crappy stock navi & I guess the C6 headlights are an upgrade but some prefer the look of the pop-ups). They're never going to make a car like the C5 or C6 Z06 cars again. So keep that in mind. Personally I prefer the looks & raw feel of the C5Z (no other vette has the hotrod style roof/back glass other than the early FRC - its unique)

You need to test drive both, @ the time the LS3 C6's were a stretch for me that I couldn't justify, & the LS2 C6's just did not compare to the lightweight raw better-geared C5Z..... I also think its more like LS6 = 420-425hp & LS2 = 400hp, dynos prove this. LS2's tend to burn oil also....which you may be aware of

If it were equal money on a manual C6 LS3 w/ Z51 or GS package vs. C5Z, both w/ similar miles I would go for the LS3 all day long - its a newer car & a newer motor. However knowing that isn't the case, & knowing that I'm the type of guy who likes to tinker w/ my toys, I'd prefer the C5Z w/ $5-10,000 extra left in my pocket for cam/SC etc

Last edited by C5Dobie; 07-18-2016 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Smp5165 (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:26 PM
Smp5165
Cruising

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I need to find a base LS3 C6 to test drive. I am currently leaning towards the C5Z still to have that extra 5-10K like C5Dobie said for mods. I also like the fact that the Z has some rarity aspect to it which is one of the reasons I liked the GTO so much.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:11 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Smp5165
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I need to find a base LS3 C6 to test drive. I am currently leaning towards the C5Z still to have that extra 5-10K like C5Dobie said for mods. I also like the fact that the Z has some rarity aspect to it which is one of the reasons I liked the GTO so much.
All c5's are easy to live with. My Z was my daily driver for 2 years, and I loved it. Same with my pewter coupe now. I used to do Costco runs with my Z, that's how practical it was.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:43 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Smp5165
This will not be a daily driver. Just a car to have fun with when it's nice. Possibly a couple track days too.
If it were me, and that is your use for the car, no question, it would be the Z06 (and of course, it is).
Old 07-19-2016, 12:03 AM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like you are ok with either the FRC design on the C5Z ,or the coupe with the C6. For some folks that is what makes their decision.I am one that likes the FRC .Yes the C6 is a newer generation with upgrades and such,with the LS3 being a bulletproof motor.Yet headers and a tune on the LS6 puts you at stock LS3 HP levels,while the Z is about 100 lbs lighter.You also need to consider what future plans you have for either car you choose.The LS3 has more cubes for more potential etc.It is a tough decision. Just as i have considered selling my 04 Z06 and moving up to a 2011-2013 GS a few times. Everytime i hit the garage door opener and turn the key it reminds me to never sell the Z06. It also reminds me how fortunate i am as most folks in todays world are barely getting by.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,226 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

As others have said, you need to drive a C6 with the LS3 in it and see how you like it. Only you can make the decision which is right for you. Factor in the price difference too.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:26 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboy
All c5's are easy to live with. My Z was my daily driver for 2 years, and I loved it. Same with my pewter coupe now. I used to do Costco runs with my Z, that's how practical it was.
I had an impromptu meeting in NJ Monday (live outside Boston) - I decided to take my C5Z there & back using Waze app to avoid bad traffic. left @ 530am, enjoyed every minute of the drive there & back.

IMO - "must do" mods to make the Z a perfect semi DD or roadtrip car - short shifter like my MGW, tires, new radio w/ bluetooth & multiple inputs.....getting @ min an intake/tune just to sap every bit of potential while eliminating the stupid skip shift is worthwhile too.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:52 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Your best bang for the buck is the C5 Z06
Old 07-20-2016, 10:53 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I'll add my input since I came from a 05 IBM M6 GTO:

While the GTO was a fun car at the end of the day it was heavy pig that couldn't corner worth a damn. Honestly, the best part of the car was the interior which is hands down better than my 03 Z. The GTO makes a great daily and if I got another that's exactly what it would be.

Pricewise on any part for a GTO is quite a bit more expensive than parts for my Vette. Not to mention any accidents that take place where parts are needing to replace and in my case the paint is hard to come by.

When I test drove my Z it just felt faster than the GTO. Handling is a night and day difference, and walking out to it you don't feel like you are getting in an oversized caviler. An added bonus is the fact that insurance is less expensive.

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought a Z that was already modded.

Last edited by Not4spd; 07-20-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Buyer, Help me decide please

Quick Reply: New Buyer, Help me decide please