Sponsored by:

Anti-Rusting Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM
jaydaug99
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anti-Rusting Rotors

So when I bought my rotors, they came with no pre-applied protectant and I had only realized that when I came outside one day and saw they were completely rusted over. I read a little in the forum and many people say they simply sand the rust, and cover the rotor in paint in order to stop the rusting. My question is: Can I use regular spray primer, paint, and clear-coat to do this? -- Do I have to use High-Temp?

Edit: I have a 1998 C5 if that helps.

Last edited by jaydaug99; 07-31-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

yes you would need high temp !!! You would not want to touch them after driving would you ????
Old 07-31-2016, 07:49 PM
jaydaug99
Advanced

Originally Posted by akapounder
yes you would need high temp !!! You would not want to touch them after driving would you ????
I'm a little confused by your reply. Could you clarify?
Old 07-31-2016, 08:15 PM
terrywerst
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

High temp paint my friend. Those puppies get hot!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

What part are you concerned with rusting? If they came with a zinc coating, that should hold up on the hat and where the pad does not come into contact with the face. But where the pad contacts, that's going to be bare steel and WILL rust up.

If the hat is your concern, like others have said, a high temp paint will keep it looking good.
The following users liked this post:
jaydaug99 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 09:35 PM
UM Rebel
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts

Just drive it around the block and hit the brakes a couple of times.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 PM
jaydaug99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fastbird
If the hat is your concern, like others have said, a high temp paint will keep it looking good.
Let me give some preface. I'm 16 and I bought this 'Vette with money I earned from working 40 hours a week at my job for the past two years. That said, I am very new to cars and I'm not knowledgeable whatsoever when it comes to anything automobile.

I'm not sure what the "parts" of the rotor are, but I've never heard the term "hat" used. Which part of the rotor is that?

Also, the outer rim and inner hub of the rotor are the places I wanted to de-rust, since the brakes already remove most of the rust on the rotor's face. I don't know what those areas of the rotor are called though.

Sorry for the spiel, but thanks for your reply!

EDIT:

This is not my rotor but the appearance is the same. This is how my rotor looked before I sanded the rust off earlier this afternoon.

Last edited by jaydaug99; 07-31-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You do not want to paint the area where the pads contact the rotor.... the rotor is cast iron, it will rust when introduced to water. if you paint everything that doesn't come in contact with the pads, you will be ok, but the contact area will always rust when introduced to water. A few brake applications will scrub off any rust in this are ( Known as the "fire Path " )... you will need high temp paint. 500*F +.

The rotors should come off, be thoroughly cleaned with mineral spirits, wire brushed, and the fire path masked off... Be sure to spray the cooling vanes too. Clear or silver are popular colors.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:25 PM
jaydaug99
Advanced

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
You do not want to paint the area where the pads contact the rotor.... the rotor is cast iron, it will rust when introduced to water. if you paint everything that doesn't come in contact with the pads, you will be ok, but the contact area will always rust when introduced to water. A few brake applications will scrub off any rust in this are ( Known as the "fire Path " )... you will need high temp paint. 500*F +.

The rotors should come off, be thoroughly cleaned with mineral spirits, wire brushed, and the fire path masked off... Be sure to spray the cooling vanes too. Clear or silver are popular colors.
I'm curious about the masking of the fire path though. Shouldn't the pads scrape off any paint that I get in that area?
Old 07-31-2016, 11:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Fastbird
What part are you concerned with rusting? If they came with a zinc coating, that should hold up on the hat and where the pad does not come into contact with the face. But where the pad contacts, that's going to be bare steel and WILL rust up.

Or get the rotor hats powdercoated.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by jaydaug99
I'm curious about the masking of the fire path though. Shouldn't the pads scrape off any paint that I get in that area?
Paint will foul the pads and cause fade.. you do not want to try to stop with paint on the rotor fire path. If you hurt someone in an accident and had painted rotors, it could ruin your for life...

Not sure why you are questioning the advice here.. you obviously know very little about automotive technology. Masking off the fire paths takes five minutes per rotor. It's common sense to anyone who knows anything about brakes and rotors and their function.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:37 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaydaug99
no the paint will gum up the pads, and brake dry clean or lacquer thinner would be better to prep the rotors for paint, mineral spirits is kinda oil based and the paint won't stick that well. (the term hat was meant to be heat)or not ???

Last edited by Pounder; 08-01-2016 at 12:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jaydaug99 (07-31-2016)
Old 07-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Mineral spirits is what I use on my rotors, once a year.. to prep them for paint.

16 years old, 90,000 miles...been doing this stuff for a long time. ( over 55 years )

look better now then when I put them on 16 years ago ( note my car has no MCM hood on it in this picture...My MCM hood is 16 years old

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 07-31-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:48 PM
jaydaug99
Advanced

Paint will foul the pads and cause fade.. you do not want to try to stop with paint on the rotor fire path. If you hurt someone in an accident and had painted rotors, it could ruin your for life...

Not sure why you are questioning the advice here.. you obviously know very little about automotive technology. Masking off the fire paths takes five minutes per rotor. It's common sense to anyone who knows anything about brakes and rotors and their function.
I'm sorry. Not questioning, just trying to learn. As I said earlier, I'm very young and don't know much. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:53 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

never ever saw a body man use spirits for paint prep and as you said you do it every year ??? I did mine three years ago and have not had to repaint them.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

never ever saw a body man use spirits for paint prep and as you said you do it every year ??? I did mine three years ago and have not had to repaint them.
You are the best.

Never saw a body shop paint rotors...
Mineral spirts has a slower flash point, after using mineral spirts and painting, the first dust coat is drawn into the cast iron as it flashes off slowly so there is no flaking. Rotors are sand casted with a very rough inner core, not smooth sheet metal parts.

Like I said, I am not new to this stuff, I do the research and apply the technology.

Rotors are not smooth sheet metal parts. I shouldn't have to tell you that, after all you have been a tech for 27 years. I don t have a problem with you telling the op what you use...I do however have a Big problem with you telling him that my advice is not worthy of any consideration and you offer nothing more than trying to equate a body shop that paints smooth sheet metal parts with the coarseness of a sand casted iron rotor.

It's not the first time you have tried to disrespect my advice to others. I put you on ignore once.. looks like I have to do it again.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 08-01-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

You are the best.

Never saw a body shop paint rotors...
Mineral spirts has a slower flash point, after using mineral spirts and painting, the first dust coat is drawn into the cast iron as it flashes off slowly so there is no flaking. Rotors are sand casted with a very rough inner core, not smooth sheet metal parts.

Like I said, I am not new to this stuff, I do the research and apply the technology.

Rotors are not smooth sheet metal parts. I shouldn't have to tell you that, after all you have been a tech for 27 years. I don t have a problem with you telling the op what you use...I do however have a Big problem with you telling him that my advice is not worthy of any consideration and you offer nothing more than trying to equate a body shop that paints smooth sheet metal parts with the coarseness of a sand casted iron rotor.

It's not the first time you have tried to disrespect my advice to others. I put you on ignore once.. looks like I have to do it again.
I just don't think in this case your advice is the best and you can't handle that. Do this, take equal parts of brake dry clean, lacquer thinner and mineral spirits and pour them in three different spots in your driveway. The brake dry clean and lacquer thinner will evaporate in seconds the spirits will be there for days. Go one further and paint each spot, the minerals spirit spot will be gone in months while the other two will be there for years. You can call it disrespect and that's on you, tell me I'm wrong and I would say, OK ???

Get notified of new replies

To Anti-Rusting Rotors

Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

I have clean many engine parts(most parts cleaners used mineral spirits) and painted them in my years as a tech. I found that the paint lasted a lot longer using brake dry clean or lacquer thinner before painting.

Last edited by Pounder; 08-01-2016 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:27 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Old 08-01-2016, 07:38 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

I have clean many engine parts(most parts cleaners used mineral spirits) and painted then in my years as a tech. I found that the paint lasted a lot longer using brake dry clean or lacquer thinner before painting.
Now look what you've done. "You don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with ET. Do da do dot da dot dot do.

Quick Reply: Anti-Rusting Rotors