Big 3 upgrade for dongle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big 3 upgrade for dongle?

Hey all,
Anybody have experience running this dongle?
https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Andro...rds=torque+ios

I'm trying to figure out a cheap solution for a lap tracking device. It seems like running a phone app with this dongle is the cheapest/easiest solution..

Also, I've been reading about electrical issues with our cars. It seems like the BIG3 upgrade would be a must if I run this?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:03 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I haven't used it, but I'm curious if others have. I use Harry's Lap timer at the track that's AWESOME and I have an older OBD II dongle that only works sometimes.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:13 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

I haven't used this particular piece but I've used two others and they both caused problems with the car. Both caused the radio to do weird things and the car would run rough after about twenty minutes of use. I had to reset the radio, a Kenwood DNX690HD, several times to get it play properly after using the blue tooth device. I haven't used it since. Not sure what experience others have had. I was using it with the Torque App on an Android phone.

Last edited by tbrowne; 08-10-2016 at 06:13 PM. Reason: fix wording
Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 PM
ramm21
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbrowne
I haven't used this particular piece but I've used two others and they both caused problems with the car. Both caused the radio to do weird things and the car would run rough after about twenty minutes of use. I had to reset the radio, a Kenwood DNX690HD, several times to get it play properly after using the blue tooth device. I haven't used it since. Not sure what experience others have had. I was using it with the Torque App on an Android phone.

I'm wondering just how much power the dongle would suck in to work.

Did you notice if the voltage guage was reading differently with the dongle in and out?
Old 08-10-2016, 07:28 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

When mine decides to work, the car acts no differently than when it's disconnected. But all of these are different in small ways, so it's really hard to tell.

Get notified of new replies

To Big 3 upgrade for dongle?

Quick Reply: Big 3 upgrade for dongle?