Sponsored by:

[Z06] Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 11:29 AM
dylans
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission fluid change

Just did the transmission fluid change on my Z on Thursday. All went well, I think. I used Amsoil torque drive and followed proper procedure. Now though, the shifter is far more notchy than before and there appears to be more noise in the transmissions general area when shifting, especially 1st to 2nd. I've had a couple instances where it was hard to, or didn't want to go into gear. 4th to be specific, but others as well. It just seems so rough now. Any thoughts on this?

I did the engine oil as well. Fine.

Rear diff too. Seems fine.

I'm a little upset and I'm hoping to find a solution... Thanks in advance!
Old 09-17-2016, 11:59 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Odd... I did mine a number of months ago, same Amsoil x 3.75 quarts. Feels better. Watching for replies.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Dublbubl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Red Line D4 synthetic Works great smooth shifts.
The following users liked this post:
dylans (09-18-2016)
Old 09-17-2016, 04:30 PM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
Odd... I did mine a number of months ago, same Amsoil x 3.75 quarts. Feels better. Watching for replies.
I purchased based on all of the positive experience of others. I wonder whats up.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:45 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dylans
I purchased based on all of the positive experience of others. I wonder whats up.
I also use Amsoil for my trans. I track my car so the fluid changes are more frequent. I've never had an issues after a fluid change in terms of having more noise or notchiness during gear changes.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:30 AM
dylans
Instructor

In the am I'm going to get back under there. Make sure I'm actually level, check levels and torque values on the plugs. To check level I had measured from the frame to ground behind the front tire and in front of the rear tire. Any other suggestions on a better way?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:38 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Is the floor level though? Very few are. Generally garage floors slope to the door. I use a level on the bottom of the car.
How many quarts did it take?
Old 09-18-2016, 01:49 AM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by grantv
Is the floor level though? Very few are. Generally garage floors slope to the door. I use a level on the bottom of the car.
How many quarts did it take?
Now that you mention the floor, I do remember that if anything puddles it runs to the right rear corner of the garage. Hmm.

Took almost the whole gallon. Very little left in there.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:51 PM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

If it took almost the whole gallon that's about right. I don't think the fluid level would be low.
The following users liked this post:
dylans (09-19-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 09:19 PM
mainecobra
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

Keep me posted i just bought ams oil torque drive also for my tranny and was hoping this would be a improvement if anything. Shifting is perfect now with oem fluid but thinking from what ive read like u stated , it would be even better.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM
dylans
Instructor

So far I haven't been able to drive it enough to really focus on whether there is an actual problem or not.

I did however fix a small clunk when taking off forward or reverse. I put new spindle nuts on in the rear. Confirmed both of mine were loose. Picked new ones up from the dealer for $3 each. 118 lb/ft and some loctite later no more clunk.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:55 PM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Similar issue when I switched to royal purple. Didn't like it one bit. Put new oem stuff back in and problem solved. Good luck w it
Old 09-19-2016, 10:09 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I have been using Torque drive for years in 4 different Z's. It is always an improvement. How many qts. did you get in there? On two of them I have gotten in over 4 qts. Did you drain it warm? Did you fill it from the "fill" hole? Level?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:13 AM
dylans
Instructor

Originally Posted by seamus2154
I have been using Torque drive for years in 4 different Z's. It is always an improvement. How many qts. did you get in there? On two of them I have gotten in over 4 qts. Did you drain it warm? Did you fill it from the "fill" hole? Level?
It took almost the whole gallon, only a small amount left over. I didn't drain it warm. I filled it until it began to come out again at the fill hole, plugged it up and that was it.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:31 PM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dylans
It took almost the whole gallon, only a small amount left over. I didn't drain it warm. I filled it until it began to come out again at the fill hole, plugged it up and that was it.
Drive it around for a day & get it nice & hot drive backroads lots of shifting & then drain it immediately when you get home.

Refill again w/ Amsoil & I think you'll be OK
Old 11-14-2016, 02:31 PM
04silverZ06
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I use a magnetized level that sticks to the frame just under the door. This way i know when its level for sure when i change the oil.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:11 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mainecobra
Keep me posted i just bought ams oil torque drive also for my tranny and was hoping this would be a improvement if anything. Shifting is perfect now with oem fluid but thinking from what ive read like u stated , it would be even better.
lol same here I had dexron put it in initially when i bought the car, but that was 16,000 miles ago, just changed the engine oil was planning on swapping out the diff & tranny fluid w/ the Amsoil products this week prior to real winter storage.

I've really only heard good things about Amsoil which is why I went w/ them.

I can comment that after a flull tranny fluid swap (and a FULL clutch flush) the shifts are definitely smoother.

I'll definitely check to ensure the car is level now after reading this, I have a brand new garage/concrete floor should be damn close to level we will see. Was planning on placing it up on ramps but seems like a may need to "shim" it a bit if not level.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission fluid change

Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dublbubl
I use Red Line D4 synthetic Works great smooth shifts.
I also use Red Line D4, as well as Red Line gear oil & friction modifier. Personally, I would not purchase any Amsoil product---reminds me of Tupperware & Amway...just my personal opinion.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:17 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
I also use Red Line D4, as well as Red Line gear oil & friction modifier. Personally, I would not purchase any Amsoil product---reminds me of Tupperware & Amway...just my personal opinion.
same but it's not because it's a bad product, it's because it's PAO based. by nature that has a shrinking/hardening effect on seals and relies and additives to try and counteract it

Last edited by racebum; 11-16-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 AM
RED 72 VETTE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
same but it's not because it's a bad product, it's because it's PAO based. by nature that has a shrinking/hardening effect on seals and relies and additives to try and counteract it
I changed my fluid out for Amsoil torqdrive and I must admit I thought it felt harsher but thought it was in my mind, also car was totally level and only took 3.2 quarts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Transmission fluid change