Sponsored by:

How do I improve my 99 FRC hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 AM
countryair
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do I improve my 99 FRC hp?

Here is a brief background about myself and my dream car. I purchased a 99 FRC about 2 years ago. I love almost any Vette but I always loved this style. I am 55 yrs old, and have been out of the Horsepower loop since my 1970 chevelle LS6 that I owned in the late 80s.

I have 1 or 2 basic questions.
@345 hp I would like to bump it up to at least 375.
How can this e accomplished? Best HP for the money etc and steps that you have done.
I am sure this has been asked and answered many times but I cant find or don't know how to the answers.

#2 is can you upgrade a LS1 to a LS2/LS3/LS4???

By the way its a 6 speed.
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
skydiven4fun (09-21-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 AM
92polo
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not an expert on hp gains, but from what I have read on the forum an air intake, headers and a tune might get you there. That's what I added on my 92 LT1 and it made a huge difference. Currently doing the same on my 99 FRC. I am sure the experts on this forum will reply with better info. Good luck
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:04 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I would start small personally, get all the things that will support later bigger mods.

Headers, intake, exhaust and a tune will get you where you want, and be a good base for later mods if you get bored down the road.
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:06 AM
ssrallyred
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You can hit your goals with nothing but external mods. LT's and a good intake. Ported TB etc. will give you want you want.

And welcome !
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:53 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

A good cold air intake
Swap out for a ls6 intake manifold
Long tube headers
Preferably 3 inch exhaust but 2.5 in will get the job done
And finally a good reliable tuner.

This will put you slightly over your goal but that is a list of the most cost effective bolt on mods for our cars.
If you plan on driving aggressively often you may want to get a good oil catch can setup.
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 12:17 PM
WildRide357
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea Id guess that an intake and a tune would get you close. Tune really woke my car up. Wish I'd dyno'd
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 12:49 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Received 767 Likes on 590 Posts

Hello! I was looking for a modest performance boost without spending a ton or getting inside my '99 LS1 motor. Anyway, catback exhaust, cold/fresh air intake and a good computer/dyno tune brought it to 340 rwhp which translates, using 15% loss through the drivetrain, to 391 at the flywheel. Feels like a completely different car, enough for some "spirited" cruising! Get a good recommended tuner. Have a good one!
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:32 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

I dunno...but I would start with a Supercharger. Once you start all those "simple" mods...you still end up with the Supercharger.

Most guys who only want a little.....really end up wanting a LOT!

Last edited by sfc rick; 09-18-2016 at 01:33 PM.
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 04:06 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

really up to you as far as hp and $$. You can do a few things externally and get a few hp or you can go s/c and be happy for many years to come. Think it over and research it. Would be great if someone local could give you a ride in an s/c vette.....there wouldn't be any question in your mind then.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:36 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by countryair
Here is a brief background about myself and my dream car. I purchased a 99 FRC about 2 years ago. I love almost any Vette but I always loved this style. I am 55 yrs old, and have been out of the Horsepower loop since my 1970 chevelle LS6 that I owned in the late 80s.

I have 1 or 2 basic questions.
@345 hp I would like to bump it up to at least 375.
How can this e accomplished? Best HP for the money etc and steps that you have done.
I am sure this has been asked and answered many times but I cant find or don't know how to the answers.

#2 is can you upgrade a LS1 to a LS2/LS3/LS4???

By the way its a 6 speed.
Thanks
375 crank HP basically equals long tube headers, xpipe, and a tune.

You can drop an LS3 into the C5, but will take some throttle body mods and electronic mods. Do a Google search.

Last edited by bikeriderga; 09-18-2016 at 04:54 PM.
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 05:52 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

with dbgoodwin and ssrallyred. Intake, long tube headers, exhaust and a tune. What a difference it made with my '99 6 speed manual. You can add 4:10's with the 6 speed manual. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...end-blows.html

You can find new Long tubes, complete with with catted x-pipes and mid pipes for as low as $975 or up to 3 times that. I went with Kooks because they are easiest to install and one of the top 5 brands IMO, but are double the lowest price brand but since I was doing the install myself, I did not want any issues. Installs can run $500-$700 or more from what I have read on here. Tunes are another $500-$600. I paid extra for the Kooks hi flow Green Cats and I did not get any codes and did not need a tune so the extra money was well spent for ease of install, no codes and therefore no need for a tune. I also paid extra and had my headers ceramic coated for lower underhood temps and added heat protection to all the wires and starter. I have the Magnaflow Performance series exhaust which in my opinion is the best sounding, best fitting and absolute highest quality system out there and I have had many of the popular brands over the years.

Or like Rick says, just add a supercharger and you're done. They can run anywhere between $5,500 - $7,500 plus options. Installs can run at least a grand or you can DIY either way you will need a tune for another $500-$600+. With a supercharger you can count on other necessary upgrades to handle all that extra power such as a better clutch, pressure plate and flywheel, an upgraded harmonic balancer and pinned crank. You may have to get a different hood if you choose a roots or twin screw type blower. Then engine internal upgrades and torque tube upgrades, meth injection, catch can, hood plus prep & paint work of the hood......

Summary ESTIMATE (all new parts depending on brand, I am estimating middle of the road):

Intake, headers, exhaust (plugs & wires) & tune around $3,500 DIY (Installed around $4,200)

Centrifugal Supercharger DIY, clutch/PP/FW DIY, Balancer & pinned crank, plugs & wires DIY plus tune around $7,500 (All installed around $9,000)
countryair (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 06:17 PM
countryair
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by v8srfun
A good cold air intake
Long tube headers

This will put you slightly over your goal but that is a list of the most cost effective bolt on mods for our cars.
If you plan on driving aggressively often you may want to get a good oil catch can setup.
Thanks, I have a diablo sport tuner. Will that work?
Old 09-18-2016, 06:18 PM
countryair
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by v8srfun
A good cold air intake
Long tube headers

Thanks, that's the kind of info I needed.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:28 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

The programmer you have will work the important part is getting the person that knows how to tune your car to make power without hurting it. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good tuner on this forum.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:40 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I dunno...but I would start with a Supercharger. Once you start all those "simple" mods...you still end up with the Supercharger.

Have to agree with you SFC Rick, supercharging is incredible. Had a intercooled procharger on an earlier ride. Great power, kept the driveability and was absolutely reliable during my ownership. Pricey, but worth every penny if you're still in hp/speed thing. Best wishes!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 PM
v8srfun
Drifting

If I was to go forced induction it would be turbo I am not a fan of supercharging but turbo is more expensive.

Last edited by v8srfun; 09-18-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:55 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by friou
Hello! I was looking for a modest performance boost without spending a ton or getting inside my '99 LS1 motor. Anyway, catback exhaust, cold/fresh air intake and a good computer/dyno tune brought it to 340 rwhp which translates, using 15% loss through the drivetrain, to 391 at the flywheel. Feels like a completely different car, enough for some "spirited" cruising! Get a good recommended tuner. Have a good one!
I had a z06. Now I have an '02 targa. I added a used Hall intake, used Z06 exhaust and a tune by East Coast Supercharging. My stats are very similar to Friou. In my case, total cost was under $800 installed.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I improve my 99 FRC hp?

Old 09-18-2016, 08:11 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by sfc rick

I agree with Rick. A SuperCharger installed properly, with a mild tune, can easily take you from stock (RWHP 310-320- base coupe) power to 490-500 RWHP. No meth, no headers, nothing else needed.

When I first started, mine went from 314 to 504 RWHP, installed and tuned by Andy at A&A Corvettes. I had previously put a Z06 exhaust, and Shorty headers (which are California CARB compliant) on it. But that's all. Mine is an A4 car.

Such a C5 will still drive almost exactly as stock around town, and cruising. But, it drives nothing like stock, when you 'nail it'.

Many guys have driven C5, with this set-up for years, with no other problems.

Good luck whichever way you begin. As Rick said, you may end up SuperCharged sooner or later. It's kind of addictive... LOL

Don
Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM
friou
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by donald4972
I agree with Rick. A SuperCharger installed properly, with a mild tune, can easily take you from stock (RWHP 310-320- base coupe) power to 490-500 RWHP. No meth, no headers, nothing else needed.

When I first started, mine went from 314 to 504 RWHP, installed and tuned by Andy at A&A Corvettes. I had previously put a Z06 exhaust, and Shorty headers (which are California CARB compliant) on it. But that's all. Mine is an A4 car.

Such a C5 will still drive almost exactly as stock around town, and cruising. But, it drives nothing like stock, when you 'nail it'.

Many guys have driven C5, with this set-up for years, with no other problems.

Good luck whichever way you begin. As Rick said, you may end up SuperCharged sooner or later. It's kind of addictive... LOL

Don
We had like experiences. All the driveability, reliability and that added and incredible low down grunt when you stepped on the loud pedal, with the added advantage, in my opinion, of not having to tear into the internals of a perfectly good motor. If I decided to go beyond my current very modest hp upgrades, the only way I would go would be supercharging, its a no fuss, no muss guaranteed performer! Take care!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:29 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You Blown guys are all the same: "You want 25 horsepower? supercharge it. Want a better sounding exhaust? Supercharge it. Need to do an oil change? Might as well add a supercharger while you're under the hood."

Simply put, headers will get you to your current goal, and be a good setup for additional mods later. Sometimes small steps can be important steps, especially if you think a stock c5 coupe is fast, throwing a blower on it will likely get you killed if you aren't prepared.

With that said, anyone want to sell me a supercharger?
Forcedvert (09-19-2016)

Quick Reply: How do I improve my 99 FRC hp?