Wiring Harness

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 11:54 AM
t1fudd
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Wiring Harness

I have a 2000 FRC with the fixed mast antenna. I'd like to put a power antenna in its place. Does anyone know if the wiring harness in the car has the wires for a power antenna if it did not come equipped with one?
Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Power antenna circuit. Check and see if you have the dark green wire and the orange wire back by the antenna, then yes.
The following users liked this post:
t1fudd (10-13-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:12 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

There is a good chance if you search inside the right rear fender you will some of the wiring for the antenna. If you do, the front portion of the wiring would probably be in the kick panel area. I'm thinking that it is more cost effective to create one harness for all versions than to make different wiring per options. All C5's came with the fog light wiring even though not all came with fogs. Z06's had that wiring too even though they never came with fogs. Hence my feeling you should find the wiring there. Instead of doing a power antenna, how about a hidden antenna inside the body. I run the stock Z fixed mast inside the rear bumper and it works just fine. I had the hole filled so there is no antenna showing.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

Remove the big fixed mast and install a short (4" tall) stubby one!
Old 10-14-2016, 09:18 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by nsogiba
Remove the big fixed mast and install a short (4" tall) stubby one!
That's what will happen to my power antenna if it takes a dump again.

To the Op, there's a good bit of wiring on that antenna which is needed for the rear lights to work. I suspect, but I'm not sure, that the wiring and mostly grounds for the lights, are there whether you have the power antenna or fixed mast. It just might not look like power antenna wiring is all.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:40 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
.....All C5's came with the fog light wiring even though not all came with fogs. Z06's had that wiring too even though they never came with fogs. Hence my feeling you should find the wiring there.....
striper, were would you suggest one start looking for this fog light power wire? I want to put fog lights on my z06.... we have more than our fair share of fog around here. Thx SCvette
Old 10-19-2016, 11:26 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by S.C. vette
striper, were would you suggest one start looking for this fog light power wire? I want to put fog lights on my z06.... we have more than our fair share of fog around here. Thx SCvette
Firstly, you need to purchase a factory fog light switch. It actually replaces the trunk switch. It is a trunk and fog switch all in one. It is prewired even in Z06's. It just plugs in place. Secondly, in the fuse block under the hood, I believe it is fuse #39 that you will be looking for. That should be the fuse for foglights that even comes with a fuse installed. You have to carefully lift the fuse block from its mounting and I believe, if I remember correctly, that it is a purple wire that is connected to the #39 fuse. If you tap into the purple wire you can run the wires to the foglights from the purple wire. I ran a wire from the purple to a relay which powers the foglights. It's actually pretty simple and easier than it sounds. The fogs will work just as if factory installed and will function as flash to pass lights when the headlights are off and will turn off when the high beams are on. When I did my car I was surprised how much of the factory wiring is all the same even though Z06's were never offered with foglights. Using the same premise I was also able to install a factory CD changer using factory parts.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:32 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

I forgot to mention do not just install factory fogs, they are fairly useless other than decoration. They are very weak. There are much better lights such as offered by Radioflyer. The ones I used are from PIAA, but not the 1100x's. They are better but when the bulb burns out the lens and bulb are all one piece and over $40 each. PIAA offers a similar light that uses an H3 bulb that is even brighter and lasts much longer. They can even be used as a headlight in dusk conditions.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:03 PM
3whit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t1fudd
I have a 2000 FRC with the fixed mast antenna. I'd like to put a power antenna in its place. Does anyone know if the wiring harness in the car has the wires for a power antenna if it did not come equipped with one?
Remove the passenger rear light and look in the hole ,you should be able to see the wire harness if it is there .

Get notified of new replies

To Wiring Harness

Quick Reply: Wiring Harness