Sponsored by:

C5 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:21 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts
Default C5 as a daily driver?

How many of you use your C5 as a daily driver? My intention was to buy a Vette as a retirement gift to myself when I retire in a little over 3 1/2 years. The problem is, I can't wait that long to get one. Here's the bad part. Because my job is located in IL, and my home is in Dayton, OH, I live in an apartment during the week where I don't have a garage. The C5 would become my daily driver during the summer, and would be stored in my garage in OH during the winter (I refuse to expose a Corvette to salted roads). Therefore, the Vette would be exposed to the weather all the time during the summer. This is not my idea of how a Corvette should be cared for. I believe a Vette should always be garaged except for nice days when it comes out to be driven. I would certainly keep up on the care of the vehicle, keeping good UV protectants on all of the surfaces being exposed to the sun, and keeping it clean, but that still doesn't change the fact that it's going to be sitting out in the elements all of the time. Do any of you use yours as daily drivers and if so 1) does doing so seem to be taking a toll on the vehicle and 2) what extra measures do you take, if any, to keep the car nice? Do any of you recommend that I not do this at all?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:09 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

You sir qualify as a wannabe garage queen owner (I do not mean that in any negative way). I bought my Z to drive it, and do daily except on the weekend (usually too busy). I bought it to enjoy driving to work every day, until, well... soon. Starting to get cold, roads getting gritty, looking for a "new to me" winter car.
Does DD take its toll on the car, maybe. But it is a car.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
You sir qualify as a wannabe garage queen owner (I do not mean that in any negative way). I bought my Z to drive it, and do daily except on the weekend (usually too busy). I bought it to enjoy driving to work every day, until, well... soon. Starting to get cold, roads getting gritty, looking for a "new to me" winter car.
Does DD take its toll on the car, maybe. But it is a car.
DD for me and enjoy it
Old 10-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

My '02 C5 is a garage queen (~7,700 mi.) - bought new in '01 and garaged/covered ever since except for the mod sessions and occasional weekend drive. It was intended as my dd but decided it was a great weekend distraction/toy instead. I tried it again in '08 when I bought a 6900-mile '02 C5 from a guy in Texas. That didn't happen either as the wife claimed it as hers on the drive home to Indiana from Texas.

My C7, OTOH, is my dd and is parked outside at work (garaged at home), uncovered, 12 months out of the year (live and work in SoCal). I clean and maintain it meticulously so most think it's also a garage queen.

When I started dd'ing the C7, I realized all the fun I was missing not doing it all these years. I spend a couple hours a day commuting and it's made that much more enjoyable - and bearable- by driving a Vette to work. I say do it - you're not getting any younger and dd'ing a C5 - any Vette, really - will enrich your day.

Garage Queen

Daily driver

Last edited by Patches; 10-18-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:30 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

My 2000 is a DD....been very dependable for over six years. Stranded once (broke the tranny cable). Been a great car with over 145,000 miles.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:33 AM
jmohn
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Over the past 18 years I've had 2 Porsches and 2 Corvettes as my summer daily drivers (I had the same '78 911 for 12 of those years). I'm sure there was some "deterioration" from sitting outside every day while was working, but if you take care of them (keep them clean, maintain them, etc.) they survive quite well.

I understand the wish to keep a fine car "fine" forever, but these are "driving" cars (while totally different from each other they've all been wonderful to drive) and I bought them to drive them.

Ultimately your decision, good luck.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:38 AM
imjdoggie
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Just go get one grampi50 you will figure it out....................you've waited long enough and the prices are right now.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:56 AM
66dts-v
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

I didn't put 70k miles on it in 2 years driving it only on the weekends.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Go ahead and get a car and drive it all the time. Will sitting outside and driving it all the time cause some degradation to the car - most likely, but think about all the great commutes you'll have along the way. Keeping the car clean and well maintained will minimize the effects of sitting outside.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

I love the fact that most Vettes are used as weekend only, sunny day cars.

That way, when I get ready to add a new one to my collection, I can pick one up a close to 1/2 the cost of a new one and still have a super low mileage, almost new Corvette.

BTW, my Z06 qualifies as a weekend warrior as well.
The following users liked this post:
jrprich (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM
speedmaster64
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll resist the temptation to ask you why on earth you're not going to retire to a nicer climate for goodness sake! Alright...I guess I couldn't resist. I live in Los Angeles. I can't conceive of putting my C5 away for the winter.

At 50 I bought my C5 intending to use it for weekend pleasure. But in the two years I have owned it I find myself driving it as often as possible, while my leased, luxury Japanese sports sedan sits in the garage...alone.

Life is short my friend. I can't conceive of C5s being garage queens. These are not collector cars.

We will all be gone one day, and as we approach the twilight of our days, none of us will be saying to ourselves "I'm glad my C5 has so few miles. I'm glad I never drove it on a cool, quiet, rainy Sunday morning."

Last edited by speedmaster64; 10-18-2016 at 11:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by speedmaster64:
Fatbob (10-22-2016), unlvrebel (10-19-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM
Crussader
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Buy one now with some miles on it (70-125K). Drive it and don't worry about it. When you retire, sell it and buy a garage queen.

Last edited by Crussader; 10-18-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:53 AM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

I think the C5 is the most daily-able toy I have bought. Its not my daily... but I wouldn't hesitate to drive it everyday in the summer. If you are keeping the rev's down and just driving relaxed, its exactly that, relaxed and just sips fuel. Of course the beast lives just on the other side of 3,000rpm should you need it.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I purchased my C5 M6 Coupe in late 2000 and since then have placed over 200,000 miles on it. The only time it's in the garage is during the heavy snow months - I need a 4wd vehicle to get in and out. I lived in Las Vegas for two years and didn't have any cover for it - no problem, just use a sunshade. Drive, Drive, Drive.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:18 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Mine's a daily at 60+miles per day.

I does go in the garage at night though. I would really only have 2 concerns about parking it outside all the time:

1. Until I took some sealer to the door panels, water would leak into the floorboards when it rained. Seems to be a common issue, and can be fixed if you are diligent. Mine still drops a few drips when it monsoons, but not anything unmanageable.

2. What other people would do to it. I like to keep my things nice, but others don't always share this outlook.

Otherwise, get it and enjoy it many, many miles.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Also, is the apartment gated, and/or have a surveillance system? That would ease my mind in parking it outside in the night time.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Boston suburbs guy here. I drive my C5 into the city 9 months a year (35 miles each way). Because I have another car, I don't drive my C5 when it's raining, mostly because it picks up a lot of dirt that I then have to clean off.

The car is hardy, not fragile. I'd suggest getting a good cover though if you're going to leave it outside.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 as a daily driver?

Old 10-18-2016, 12:44 PM
garline14
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

I daily drove my Vette for 2 and half years and loved it. I drove it all year round so shes seen all types of weather. Our winters arent that cold down here, no salt on the roads and it doesnt snow. I drove through rain storms many times with no problems at all. To keep the paint in good condition i washed and waxed often. Depending on the weather i would usually wash once a week, especially when we get alot of rain. My car is black as well, and keeping a black paint job looking good is one hell of a job. Not so bad now since I dont daily the car anymore so she stays clean. I have 110k miles and havent had anything major go wrong (knock on wood). So far i do all the work to my car myself, change oil, plugs and wires, ops sensor, changed condesner, brakes and rotors, and some other things. The C5 is a great daily driver and as long as u take care of the car it will take care of u!
Old 10-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I've worn out two C-5s driving them daily, and I'm working on the third.
Although, now that I'm retired , the miles don't add up as quickly.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:15 PM
BGatez
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Choice

I was able to buy an 03 with 15k miles on it. I have used it as my daily driver for a couple of months now and I love it. I was able to get it at a decent price. I figure my Vette cost me about the same as a new sub compact car. I have gotten more looks and compliments in two months than I have owning all my previous cars and Harleys. I bought the convertible and have had the top down almost all the time. I used to dread driving, now I look for reasons to drive. The one negative thing is I couldn't imagine getting in and out of the car if I was older, it sits very low compared to any other car I have ever owned, so enjoy it while your still young!!

Quick Reply: C5 as a daily driver?