Sponsored by:

Opinions on fuel pump for early 2003 C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Opinions on fuel pump for early 2003 C5

I am hoping for opinions on fuel pumps available for an early model 2003. Do I go with a AC Delco brand, or Precision, Delphi, Spectra or any others you would recommend? Another question would be. Do you need to replace the gaskets and screws when changing the pump out or is there a chance that the old gasket can be used over as well as the screws? Any insight or suggestions on doing this job or otherwise would be appreciated.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

When I changed my fuel pump on my 2001 I went with just a new pump in a new capsule. I got this unit off of the big auction site for $127.00 shipped. It was a Walbro pump and the same one that was in my original pump.

It did not come with a new gasket or new screws. I reused the old gasket and bolts and had no leaks or problems. The gasket is a softer rubber gasket and upon inspection mine looked good.

The new pump assemblies that I looked at came with a new gasket and screws. The AC Delco part number is 19330864 $843.22 list price Cultrag price $569.17.

The gasket is quite expensive for what you get. The part number for just the gaskets and bolts is ACDELCO G25 {#12459863). The GM price is $87.82. Cultrag has it listed for 59.28 and is a forum vendor.

Good luck with your repair.
The following users liked this post:
Captzeos (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I used new fasteners and a new gasket with mine for peace of mind. They aren't that expensive and taking a risk with anything fuel related isn't worth it.
Captzeos (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Maybe it is just me but the gasket and screws CANNOT be that expensive compared to the pump and time and effort to get the fuel drained to be able to service the pump.. Why would one NOT change the gaskets and screws???
You're right in that compared to the cost of the pump. The gasket and screws are no comparison. Still to me $82.00 for a gasket and 6 screws sounds like a rip off. Some of the units I mentioned do come with both gasket and screws which in making comparisons (depending on the quality of the pump) would help in my choose of pumps. I was hoping that maybe a member had used one of the units I mentioned to give me a ya or nah on their quality. Hey what can I say? I'm a tight *** or I wouldn't even think of doing it my self and let a dealership do it for me.
Thanks for the reply
Old 11-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zachaeous
When I changed my fuel pump on my 2001 I went with just a new pump in a new capsule. I got this unit off of the big auction site for $127.00 shipped. It was a Walbro pump and the same one that was in my original pump.

It did not come with a new gasket or new screws. I reused the old gasket and bolts and had no leaks or problems. The gasket is a softer rubber gasket and upon inspection mine looked good.

The new pump assemblies that I looked at came with a new gasket and screws. The AC Delco part number is 19330864 $843.22 list price Cultrag price $569.17.

The gasket is quite expensive for what you get. The part number for just the gaskets and bolts is ACDELCO G25 {#12459863). The GM price is $87.82. Cultrag has it listed for 59.28 and is a forum vendor.

Good luck with your repair.
Wow! You where able to get a new pump for $127.00.
I guess you must be happy with it, since you never mentioned having a problem after you installed it. Now did it also include a new sending unit too? I've read that GM had problems with the original ones and have upgraded it with a newer version. PN 10333749. On the gasket situation. My thoughts are that even at the $59.28 price. If the old one still is usable and doesn't leak. Why not use it? If it leaks then go ahead and pull it off again and put a new one on. Then again time is money, and $60.00 and worry free may be worth not going there.
Thanks for your reply back. You gave me what I was looking for. Input and information.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:19 PM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Black 02
I used new fasteners and a new gasket with mine for peace of mind. They aren't that expensive and taking a risk with anything fuel related isn't worth it.
You raise a very good point! Leaking gas is not something I want to worry about. Even if I kept and eye on it for several days, it's a dangerous risk to take.
Thanks for the feedback. I am always interested in other peoples thoughts.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:42 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if you plan on doing some basic power upgrades racetronix sells a nice setup with a 255lph pump already installed in the bucket and it also comes with upgraded pump wiring and a hotwire harness which is basically a heavy gauge wire ran straight off the alternator to the pump to ensure you don't lose voltage to the pump like you will through the factory wiring... that whole setup is about $230 and a really good deal in my opinion, I've had it on my car for about 4 years without a hiccup... after seeing the price of the gasket and screws I decided to reuse mine since they were in good shape and if they leaked then I would replace them, to this day they still haven't leaked... use good judgement in this situation, if I were doing this on someone else's car I would make them use new stuff just to make sure they had no issues and eliminate liability on my end but seeing that it was on my own car and I do my own work it wasn't as big of an issue since I was aware of what could happen and that it would be an easy fix for me

Last edited by neutron82; 11-14-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Captzeos (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 06:58 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Captzeos
I am hoping for opinions on fuel pumps available for an early model 2003. Do I go with a AC Delco brand, or Precision, Delphi, Spectra or any others you would recommend? Another question would be. Do you need to replace the gaskets and screws when changing the pump out or is there a chance that the old gasket can be used over as well as the screws? Any insight or suggestions on doing this job or otherwise would be appreciated.
Brands? AC Delco, Delphi, Carter
Can you reuse gasket? Probably. Should you? No.

ACD = MU1217 $324.79 complete.
Delphi = FG1213 $224.99 w/o gasket (ACD gasket = G25 $37.99)
Carter = P74895M or Airtex E3577M are also good quality.

HTH
Captzeos (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:05 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by neutron82
if you plan on doing some basic power upgrades racetronix sells a nice setup with a 255lph pump already installed in the bucket and it also comes with upgraded pump wiring and a hotwire harness which is basically a heavy gauge wire ran straight off the alternator to the pump to ensure you don't lose voltage to the pump like you will through the factory wiring... that whole setup is about $230 and a really good deal in my opinion, I've had it on my car for about 4 years without a hiccup... after seeing the price of the gasket and screws I decided to reuse mine since they were in good shape and if they leaked then I would replace them, to this day they still haven't leaked... use good judgement in this situation, if I were doing this on someone else's car I would make them use new stuff just to make sure they had no issues and eliminate liability on my end but seeing that it was on my own car and I do my own work it wasn't as big of an issue since I was aware of what could happen and that it would be an easy fix for me
That's another way to go as well. Just replace the pump itself in the bucket and leave the sender alone OR replace the sender as well AC Delco part # SK1318 $81.89
Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 AM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Thanks for the info Neutron 82. I don't have any plans on doing any power upgrade, but I do want to put in the most reliable unit out there.
I haven't been able to compare brands to evaluate one against the other. Autozone carries a brand called Spectra that has a video that they claims to be an improvement of the OE. I'm leaning that way, but the unit from O'reilys has a brand called Precision that includes the gasket and screws for the same price. Go Figure Anyway I want to thank you again for replying. Anyone who has used any of these brands would help my decision on their evaluation .
Old 11-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Captzeos
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Brands? AC Delco, Delphi, Carter
Can you reuse gasket? Probably. Should you? No.

ACD = MU1217 $324.79 complete.
Delphi = FG1213 $224.99 w/o gasket (ACD gasket = G25 $37.99)
Carter = P74895M or Airtex E3577M are also good quality.

HTH
Hey Thanks LoneStarFRC
Of the brands you mentioned. If you had to pick one for yourself. Which one would you consider?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:01 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Captzeos
Hey Thanks LoneStarFRC
Of the brands you mentioned. If you had to pick one for yourself. Which one would you consider?
Kind of a tough call, but of these, I would go Delphi and buy a new gasket for the dollar savings. You're getting a new fuel tank sending unit with as part of the assembly.

Btw, like Neutron, I'm also a big fan of Racetronix products. I've used them myself and their quality is second to none, so even if you don't want a higher capacity pump and decide to stay at stock levels pump-wise, the Racetronix "hotwire" harness (as a separate item) is a really good idea. It allows your pump to run at full efficiency (very little voltage drop) and is plug-n-play. No cutting/soldering, etc.

HTH
Old 11-15-2016, 08:23 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

if you're willing to spend close to the $230 of the racetronix kit you might as well just go with racetronix in my opinion... that kit is a heck of a deal for the price, the walbro pump is proven reliable, and you are getting a hotwire harness as well
Old 11-16-2016, 08:59 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

if you're willing to spend close to the $230 of the racetronix kit you might as well just go with racetronix in my opinion... that kit is a heck of a deal for the price, the walbro pump is proven reliable, and you are getting a hotwire harness as well
That's what I did several years ago and installed new ACD sending unit as well; separate purchase of course.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on fuel pump for early 2003 C5

Quick Reply: Opinions on fuel pump for early 2003 C5