Sponsored by:

Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:52 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery.

Does anybody know if these are good batteries? I wanted a Sears Diehard Platinum (the battery made by Odyssey), but they don't sell them anymore. I was going to get an Odyssey, but the Sears Diehard Gold AGM was on sale from $180 to $150 so I just couldn't pass it up. I'm sure the Odyssey is better, but it's close enough. This has a 3 year warranty and 775 CCA, vs 4 year warranty and 850 CCA for Odyssey PC 1500. I'm hoping I made the right decision. BTW, this AGM won't leak, right?
Old 12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

They are made by East Penn/Deka, who sell AGM's to a number of resellers. Same battery as the deal Sam's has on at the moment - thread on here. I have an 8 year old Platinum - great battery, plenty of capacity - if we get a spell of bad weather in the winter, the car can sit for a month and still start right up. Very torn about what to do when it finally dies - probably buy the one you bought - currently on sale for $137 locally, whereas Odyssey's are pricey.

Last edited by jackthelad; 12-11-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,482 Likes on 14,072 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have the Diehard Platinum battery in my '03 (been there for 6+ years) and I have been very pleased with it. I was sorry to see Sears no longer makes the Platinum battery but when this one gives up the ghost, I will certainly consider the Diehard Gold when making a decision on a replacement.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jackthelad
They are made by East Penn/Deka, who sell AGM's to a number of resellers. Same battery as the deal Sam's has on at the moment - thread on here. I have an 8 year old Platinum - great battery, plenty of capacity - if we get a spell of bad weather in the winter, the car can sit for a month and still start right up. Very torn about what to do when it finally dies - probably buy the one you bought - currently on sale for $137 locally, whereas Odyssey's are pricey.
A month?! Wow, that's a long time. Realistically, with this Sears Diehard Gold AGM (vs your Platinum), how long can the C5 sit without the tender and still start? Maybe 2-3 weeks? I'm assuming the Gold doesn't have the same "power" (CCA, etc) as the Platnium, so I'm just curious.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5
A month?! Wow, that's a long time. Realistically, with this Sears Diehard Gold AGM (vs your Platinum), how long can the C5 sit without the tender and still start? Maybe 2-3 weeks? I'm assuming the Gold doesn't have the same "power" (CCA, etc) as the Platnium, so I'm just curious.
I

Is 2-3 weeks about normal for c-5s with no problems, that's about what mine is now. I'm on a Schumacher float charger now though, cable going through the right door vent so I can put it on even with the cover on. Found that trick on here too
Old 12-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Sears Diehard AGM Platinum Battery: JUNK!

I've been buying DieHard Gold or better batteries for the last 27 years. But as of this summer, I am DONE with the entire brand. I feel like their quality has gone to fooking birds. I currently have 7 cars/trucks, and they are all getting their DieHard chucked as soon as they start to go. My Ford F350 is now running Interstates. And when my DieHard AGM in the C5 chit the bed this summer, (battery was 2 years old, not driven much, and often on trickle charger), I replaced it with the top of the line Napa battery.

Napa now has a 7 year warranty, and it's right down the street as opposed to 30 minutes from me. (My issues, not everyone's.) BUT, every time you have a battery issue with a DieHard, and it fails your home charge tester, and two other battery testers from auto parts stores; you take it Sears and they put in the "hot charger/microwave" (which takes 45-60 minutes minumum of your time standing around waiting) and it suddenly comes out at 150 degrees, and "all good". You take it home and it's junk, again. This happened with my auxilliary battery on my Chevy 2500HD a few weeks ago. I grabbed a 3 year old WALMART(!!) battery that had been on a shelf in my garage for a year, not touched. It still had 80% charge, and was fine after I topped it off. It's still running fine a few months later. The DieHard that Sears charged up is sitting on that shelf, and I haven't touched it. ALL Sears auto batteries are 3 year warranty, that's it. No more 7 year pro-rated. I feel as though Sears will fold in the 1st quarter of CY17. The only thing they have worth anything anymore is the Craftsman brand, which I hope survives on it's own, or gets sold off to a sustainable brand. At this moment, I'm not buying anymore Craftsman tools either.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 12-15-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:12 AM
Glasact
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I used to "Swear By" my Sears Diehard Batteries. I used them in everything! Now I mostly just "Swear At Them"
Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 201 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Originally Posted by Glasact
I used to "Swear By" my Sears Diehard Batteries. I used them in everything! Now I mostly just "Swear At Them"
You made my long story short.
My sentiments exactly.

Chit, even my Sears DieHard Platinum Jumpbox had an issue a couple years ago. The on/off switch crapped out. By SHEER LUCK, when I went to Sears to see what they would do, I found one of their techs who actually made a practice of parting them out, and tossed me a switch with a 'happy birthday'.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Skrilla
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Die Hard in all my cars including the Vette, Love it,no issues and the warranty had been unbeatable .
Old 12-13-2016, 07:26 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My 3 year Die Hard Gold in the C5Z crapped just last week without warning. It wouldn't take a charge so I took in to the local Sears, they put it on their super machine. It was still running the checks when the salesman came over and said if it was taking that long on their machine, then it was shot.

I was within 3 weeks of the warranty expiring and I half expected a run around - he slid my free replacement battery across the counter. I got no complaints w/Sears!!

Get notified of new replies

To Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery.

Quick Reply: Sears Diehard Gold AGM battery.