Sponsored by:

Best HID/projector headlights for the $$

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Default Best HID/projector headlights for the $$

I am debating on pulling the trigger on some replacement headlights for my '03 C5Z as I continue to improve on the car's small list of shortcomings vs. modern sports cars (replaced the stereo/speakers added bluetooth etc).

I know there are alot of good reviews on the Radioflyer products, but I see other vendors selling sets that appear just as goof (JWM & corvette mods for instance) @ nearly 1/2 the price.

Anyone have a set of the cheaper lights that can comment on fitment/install/function vs. the radio flyer pieces?

Tough to justify that kind of $$$ for them when there are other cheaper alternatives from reputable vendors.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 AM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

I went with the Corvette Mods lights and love them. Such an improvement over stock. I also went with the 35W ballast as I wanted light not blueness. They fit well with no issues, put them in myself. It wasn't too hard to install, and have been on the car for almost 2 years with no issues. I haven't upgraded the brights to HID and would do that If I were you.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:15 AM
harryk387
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I went with JWM ACA projectors with 55w HIDs at 5000k color temperature and couldn't be happier. Much better light output than stock, pure white color and great fitment. Did the install myself in under 2.5 hours taking my time.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by harryk387
I went with JWM ACA projectors with 55w HIDs at 5000k color temperature and couldn't be happier. Much better light output than stock, pure white color and great fitment. Did the install myself in under 2.5 hours taking my time.
Same here just last week in fact. JWM ACA projectors customer service so far has been good. However, the harness that is included is CRAP, its to long on one side and the connectors are CHEAP! It's a Chinese special.

Doing it again I would get the housings, those are good and I would get the ballast / lights from theretroshop or lights from ebay and make my own harness using quality weather packs and a true fit harness. Will cost less and fit better with better components.

No knocks to JWM like I said good responsive service and I would do business with him again any time!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:47 AM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by nyciti
JWM ACA projectors customer service so far has been good. However, the harness that is included is CRAP, its to long on one side and the connectors are CHEAP! It's a Chinese special.
I just got a set of those and did not find that to be the case at all. It all fit well and there was no problem with the harness or the connectors.
There are two harnesses in the kit, both are the same length, so you might say that the passenger side harness is too long, so tuck it in somewhere out of the way, very easy.

I put my HIR 9011 bulbs in the high beams and with the 4-on relays in the harness, there is LOTS of light.

Last edited by mrlmd; 12-19-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:54 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I bought my original set of ACA housings on Ebay about 5 years ago. Built my own harness with component pieces sourced from what was Radio Shack at the time. Replaced the ballasts with Philips 35 watt thin lines. I did not use HID bulbs in the high beams because the reflector housing just scatters the light. I used HIR bulbs instead in the highs and HID 6000K in the low beams. Ran these without issue (except for adding a resistor to allow the lights to go down without having to turn on the high beam) for 3 years. I replaced them with a set from Radio Flyer with angel eyes and the high beams realigned to be effective. I still use HIR in the high beams and HID 6000K in the low beams and still using the harness I originally made. I changed to Miromoto XB55 (50 watt ballasts and HID bulbs) and have no need for the resistor any longer.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:56 AM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrlmd
I just got a set of those and did not find that to be the case at all. It all fit well and there was no problem with the harness or the connectors.
There are two harnesses in the kit, both are the same length, so you might say that the passenger side harness is too long, so tuck it in somewhere out of the way, very easy.
Its the same length cause its generic and not for the C5. I could use it in any car. Didn't say it was a problem I said it was cheap. I tucked the extra 2 ft of wire away for now... If it was 300 bucks I wouldn't "complain" just saying for $ and some time we can do much better. OR a real good harness for the C5 with REAL weatherpack connectors could be used.

Its on my car now so doesn't matter. Just giving my 2 cents.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,481 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by harryk387
Originally Posted by nyciti
Same here just last week in fact. JWM ACA projectors customer service so far has been good. However, the harness that is included is CRAP, its to long on one side and the connectors are CHEAP! It's a Chinese special.

Doing it again I would get the housings, those are good and I would get the ballast / lights from theretroshop or lights from ebay and make my own harness using quality weather packs and a true fit harness. Will cost less and fit better with better components.

No knocks to JWM like I said good responsive service and I would do business with him again any time!
I had an original ACA kit through JWM and it worked fine, but then I upgraded to the Radio Flyer kit that has the bi-xenon design. Another benefit is that with the Radio Flyer kit, the 4-on harness is located in the battery/fuse box den and you don't need to run the 4-on harness from each individual light.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:25 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

I have the cheaper JWM kit, with the un-modified (un-aimed high-beams) ACA housings and the 55W HID ballasts. Works fine, much more light than stock halogen system, but the cut-off pattern is a little crappy, there is some pattern above the cutoff line which I have heard is due to internal reflections off of the clear front lens (it is not a flat lens). No oncoming cars have flashed-me for my headlight glare, so it seems the semi-good cut-off is OK. They are the best bang-for-the buck in lighting upgrade, but you can have better lighting if you spend significantly more $.

Also, I had to add the 2 diodes to the kit, to keep the low-beam HIDs ON when the High-Beams are engaged. And I used plenty of RTV silicone to seal-up the connectors and the housing seams.

Last edited by ersatz928; 12-19-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:40 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Our kit uses the same housings as other vendors, but the difference is in the hardware.

Our system features:
- Bi-xenon projectors (HID low and High functions from the same light source)
- LED high beam (instant-on/off and color-matched to the HID bulb)
- True 55w ballasts (no need for headlight resistors to maintain correct raise/lower function)
- Uses factory connectors with no long relay harness
- Radioflyer's Hi-4 harness keeps low beams on with high beams.

The result is a kit that
- lights up FAR more area (26% more width than the standard ACA)
- Has a better focused beam for longer-distance vision
- Substantially more effective high beam function.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:46 PM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Our kit uses the same housings as other vendors, but the difference is in the hardware.

Our system features:
- Bi-xenon projectors (HID low and High functions from the same light source)
- LED high beam (instant-on/off and color-matched to the HID bulb)
- True 55w ballasts (no need for headlight resistors to maintain correct raise/lower function)
- Uses factory connectors with no long relay harness
- Radioflyer's Hi-4 harness keeps low beams on with high beams.

The result is a kit that
- lights up FAR more area (26% more width than the standard ACA)
- Has a better focused beam for longer-distance vision
- Substantially more effective high beam function.
NOW you tell me.....
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 PM
04train
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19

I highly recommend RadioFlyer. Easy to install, great support, look really really good. and they light up the night.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:49 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the Radio Flyer kit and I am tremendously pleased. The install is clean without a bunch of wires everywhere. Performance of lights is great and customer service is impeccable.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:38 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I have the RadioFlyer ACA version, and I just can't describe in words the vast improvement over stock it has. I can't comment on the JWM ACA edition but, having dealt with him on a number of other purchases, I imagine it's great quality as well.

You can take a 1000 pictures of these headlights at work and it won't ever come close to experiencing it first-hand, the first time you pop your headlights up, you'll be like "good God, what a huge improvement!!! Why didn't I get these sooner!!...It really is that good
Old 12-19-2016, 11:00 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Installed Radioflyer's HID headlamps, HID fogs, and switchbacks LED Drl's 3 years ago. Excellent products and support.
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
B Rogers (02-05-2020)
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 AM
C5Dobie
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 04train
I highly recommend RadioFlyer. Easy to install, great support, look really really good. and they light up the night.
Yeah but for twice the price. Look - we all know the factory lights are terrible, so if a $350 kit is going to get me from terrible to "really good" I"m all set w/ spending double that for "really really good" lol

Thanks for the replies.

Corvette tax is a PITA, but like I say in business need to draw a line somewhere & everyone needs to make a buck, so its OK to be a pig, just don't get caught being a hog lol!
Old 12-20-2016, 01:27 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

"Another benefit is that with the Radio Flyer kit, the 4-on harness is located in the battery/fuse box den and you don't need to run the 4-on harness from each individual light."

I'm not promoting any product over any other, but what difference or benefit does that make? It's not like you have to do anything or go out of your way to install those, they're in the included wiring harnesses. And is there a difference in having 2 smaller relays than the one larger one for the 4-on harness? It was a bigger job to install the original 4-on harness in the fuse box when I had that than to hook up the 2 wiring harness for the headlights. I don't see your point.

Last edited by mrlmd; 12-20-2016 at 01:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Best HID/projector headlights for the $$

Old 12-20-2016, 01:53 PM
silver408z
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I had the corvette mods kit and now the Radio flyer. The corvette mods was a nice upgrade over the stock but the radio flyer was as much or more of an upgrade over the corvette mods kit.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:11 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by alxltd1
I changed to Miromoto XB55 (50 watt ballasts and HID bulbs) and have no need for the resistor any longer.
I have looked at the Miromoto site a few times, but I'm not sure how much of a nightmare I want to create for myself. Why do you no longer need the resistor? When I had my cheapo HID bulbs/ballasts, I had lots of trouble with the popups working correctly. After a ballast went, I pulled it all out and went to PIAA.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:13 PM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by mrlmd

I put my HIR 9011 bulbs in the high beams and with the 4-on relays in the harness, there is LOTS of light.
I've got HIR 9011 and 9012 now, and the 4-on relay, but the lights need to be aimed properly and that's not happening in northern NJ right now.
Did that kit include lowbeam projectors?

Quick Reply: Best HID/projector headlights for the $$