Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Noise --which is better: Coupe or Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 01:34 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Road Noise --which is better: Coupe or Convertible?

For those that had the distinct pleasure of having owned a C5 coupe and C5 convertible--I have a question: Which is quieter on the highway at speed with the panels removed and the top down (60MPH and higher)?

Can the radio and passengers be heard equally in both at the same speed? Or is one of the two type more quiet at the same speed and ambient environment? I am referring to wind noise and other ambient noise.

I have a convertible and am surprised how quiet it is at highway speeds.It only gets noisy near Jersey Barriers , sound walls,or above 70MPH.

Last edited by phoneman91; 12-26-2016 at 01:36 PM.

Popular Reply

12-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

They are both the same... tires is one harmonic, wind noise is the other.
Tire noise:
can vary by tire compound ( touring tires; are nosier because of the carbon content 60/40 carbon to rubber ) Performance tires; are quieter because of the carbon content 40/60 and also by road surface.. eg. a black top road is quieter by 20 to 50 db depending on road surface temp. Concrete is much nosier and not as effected by surface temp.

wind noise is another harmonic Both coupe and vert with windows down puts the tires and their noise at 24 inched from your ears. so you get to hear their noise, but that particular harmonic Tire noise ) is overshadowed by the wind noise coming over and around the windshield.

If you have Old run flats with a very hard heat soaked compound the tire noise will over shadow any wind noise..

Tire noise and wind noise is not dampened by any dyna-mat or noise cancelling product. those products are only designed to dampen vibration. There is nothing between your ears and the window opening. windows up glass is the only thing between wind noise and tire noise. windows down leaves both tire noise, road noise, and wind noise a direct shot to your ears...

Lots of urban legend here. Anyone with a DB meter can attest to what GM has already done. The C5 is a sports car, tire to ear distance in very short by comparison.

You can follow the hype and manufacturing hyperbole of sound deadening devices, but if you drive with your windows down, top off or Vert top down, you are going to hear everything that is already there and no amount of dyna mat will effect these conditions.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:38 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Coupes get very noisy with the roof on - the tire noise just reverberates around the "trunk" area - gets much quieter when the roof is out.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:36 PM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

wifes had a 2000 coupe for ten years and 2004 vert for four years . fuel pump is really loud in coupe and never rode with top down in vert . suspect coupe is quieter . ...ps. never had top off of coupe .
Old 12-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Tire noise:
can vary by tire compound ( touring tires; are nosier because of the carbon content 60/40 carbon to rubber ) Performance tires; are quieter because of the carbon content 40/60 and also by road surface.. eg. a black top road is quieter by 20 to 50 db depending on road surface temp. Concrete is much nosier and not as effected by surface temp.

wind noise is another harmonic Both coupe and vert with windows down puts the tires and their noise at 24 inched from your ears. so you get to hear their noise, but that particular harmonic Tire noise ) is overshadowed by the wind noise coming over and around the windshield.

If you have Old run flats with a very hard heat soaked compound the tire noise will over shadow any wind noise..

Tire noise and wind noise is not dampened by any dyna-mat or noise cancelling product. those products are only designed to dampen vibration. There is nothing between your ears and the window opening. windows up glass is the only thing between wind noise and tire noise. windows down leaves both tire noise, road noise, and wind noise a direct shot to your ears...

Lots of urban legend here. Anyone with a DB meter can attest to what GM has already done. The C5 is a sports car, tire to ear distance in very short by comparison.

You can follow the hype and manufacturing hyperbole of sound deadening devices, but if you drive with your windows down, top off or Vert top down, you are going to hear everything that is already there and no amount of dyna mat will effect these conditions.
The following 6 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
dadvan99 (12-28-2016), doublenut9 (12-30-2016), friou (12-29-2016), jrprich (12-27-2016), Mr. Peabody (12-26-2016), phoneman91 (12-26-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:14 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

I had a 2000 vert, and the thing that made the biggest difference to me was the Vette Net wind restrictor that mounts behind the seats. With it installed and at highway speeds 70+ my wife and I could talk easy and the stereo sounded great still.

In my 01 coupe with the top off I could not hear my Bose stereo at Highway speeds...
The following users liked this post:
phoneman91 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:29 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Coupes get very noisy with the roof on - the tire noise just reverberates around the "trunk" area - gets much quieter when the roof is out.
Interesting . Are the noisy tires run flats? And the coupes are more noisy with the tops on--both in the city and highway?
Old 12-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Vette Net wind restrictor

Is a product that will cut down on the wind speed inside the cabin but only by a small amount but enough to notice the difference.. but it will quiet down the wind noise but wont do a thing for the tire noise because your ear is closer to the tires than anything else..

This is reality.. no hype here...
Old 12-26-2016, 04:40 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Tire noise:

I appreciate your nuanced response,ET. You must be very proud to have been part of the C5 development--I sure would be!

Low drag coefficient has it's ancillary benefits.

I must say--I am impressed with the C5 convertible--very well done when it comes to minimizing wind noise and most importantly-- reverse flow wind buffeting . The convertible has very low wind noise and little of the reverse wind flow that some convertibles have. Like a well designed motorcycle fairing and windshield--the best design permits smooth wind flow over the windshield with resultant quieter environment in the interior. I have never been in a convertible that has been so quiet at highway speeds. Very quiet with side windows up and top down at highway speeds.

It is amazing that a 20 year old design--can still work so well and still be competitive with today's best design.And look so good doing it !

Last edited by phoneman91; 12-26-2016 at 10:57 PM.
SaxyVette (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I spent 80 hours in the GM wind tunnel with the C5 .
The following 4 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
David Shiel (12-29-2016), doublenut9 (12-30-2016), friou (12-29-2016), phoneman91 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 05:13 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
I can't speak about the vert (since mine's a coupe and I've never ridden in a vert) but the wind noise in a coupe with the targa top off at highway speeds is loud to the point it's not really possible to talk with a passenger at a normal conversational level. The buffeting of the wind over the windshield and into the cabin is such that I just won't drive with the top off at speeds more than about 40-45 mph.

I love driving around with the top off, but the wind noise IS very annoying. If I drive on the expressway with the top off, I use the same earplugs I use when riding the lawn mower around.....
phoneman91 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 05:47 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

OK I had both, currently I got a '99 vert,seems like same interior noise in both.. but the '99 Coupe I had buffeted bad at certain speeds with the roof off. The vert is smooth as glass, my choice is the vert unless you favor the more closed car, both my cars are stock exhaust,

Last edited by SaxyVette; 12-26-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:14 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I had one of each and I think the convertible was marginally quieter, however my vert had <30,000 miles and my coupe had >130,000.
phoneman91 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:56 PM
phoneman91
Pro

I spent 80 hours in the GM wind tunnel with the C5 .
Time well spent!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

Had the top down today, didn't want to rub it in in the other thread. Had a bit of fun with a old 911sc and a newer 370z at a stop light, all three of us stopped on a nice wide open three lane road. I love having a supercharged c5 vert, nobody expects it. I let them take off, I blow past pulling away then back out, no need to stay in it.

Never noticed any wind noise
Old 12-26-2016, 10:10 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I have owned three coupes and have not found any of them to be obnoxiously loud when it comes to road noise. Even with the top off it's not that bad to me - but yes there is some buffeting. I guess it all comes down to what is an acceptable level of noise to each individual. I would think tire noise would be about the same in either a vert or a coupe.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Tire noise:

Sorry, but after 19 years of living with a C5 and with a background in vehicle engineering, I really don't agree. A lot of the tire/road noise in the C5, driven with top on and windows up comes from the rear cargo area, not through the glass. As a data point, road noise is much, much worse than in my old hatchback 5.0 Mustang. And I have had multiple brands of tires on the C5, none of which make the car much quieter, though the OEM Goodyears were probably the worst once they had a few miles on them. Yes, it's a sports car, but despite all the car's excellent attributes, I still think GM did a crappy job of NVH management.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I never saw you in Warren at the wind tunnel never saw you at the Corvette design studio parking lot... so I'm not sure of your qualifications. I, however have been with the C5 design since 1995 through launch in 1997, I have seven proprietary designs in every C5 on the planet, a year of engineering revisions and two years of Engineering field support specific to the C5 and its design before retiring.. So I've been with the C5 for 22 years this coming May

"Sorry" you are not qualified to discuss C5 engineering and its aspects. To say GM did a poor job only shows just how ignorant you actually are about automotive design, how a car goes from a sheet of paper to launch but most importantly you are clueless about how a project is managed and how certain aspects of the builds get more development money than others. But then you would actually have to be a real automotive engineer to know this. The C5 Corvette is a benchmarked design, with the lowest CD and CDA at the time, and the first productio0n car on the planet to offer AH. But then you obviously know nothing about a C5 Corvette.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 12-26-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Noise --which is better: Coupe or Convertible?

Old 12-26-2016, 10:54 PM
phoneman91
Pro

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Sorry, but after 19 years of living with a C5 and with a background in vehicle engineering, I really don't agree. A lot of the tire/road noise in the C5, driven with top on and windows up comes from the rear cargo area, not through the glass. As a data point, road noise is much, much worse than in my old hatchback 5.0 Mustang. And I have had multiple brands of tires on the C5, none of which make the car much quieter, though the OEM Goodyears were probably the worst once they had a few miles on them. Yes, it's a sports car, but despite all the car's excellent attributes, I still think GM did a crappy job of NVH management.
And you have a coupe for all of that time ?

Last edited by phoneman91; 12-26-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

There is a reason why some of us have been thanked 800 times and others just once.. the "thank you" field has only been available on this forum for the last 2 years.

Some members just cant stand it when someone actually knows something about this car, while others embrace it and the years of development insider information that I've shared that cant be found in any book. This a 16 year paper trail on this forum. From the time I was invited here by Troy and Adam after retiring to the present day. lots of very disrespectful legends in their own mind have come and gone from this forum.

There are some very helpful and talented members here on this forum, anyone who has been here for a while knows who they are.. unfortunately most have moved on.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:27 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default As Ive said 100 times on this forum over 16 years

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
You don't have to be on the design or engineering team to know there are flaws with the C5 (as there is and has been with virtually every vehicle model on the planet). Sure, there were some firsts with it, but that doesn't mean everything about it was first-rate. Just sayin'.
If the C5 was perfect you could not afford it.. as I've said many times its the very best bank for the buck be is a C5 C6 or C7... I never once said it was perfect. Dave put most of the budget into the drive train.. Oh that's Dave Hill just an FYI.
We could have put much better seat in the C5, better radio, etc. but the budget wasn't there for those short comings. You would have to know how a concept goes from the design studio to launch. First the demographic is developed through research and actual former Corvette owners feedback. Once the demographic is established, then the cost to build is established.( The budget )
Then the budget is divvied up into sub build groups each with a time line to launch and a budget. project mangers of these groups keep the time line and the budget on track. A C5 corvette has 6000 parts all under the watchful eye of GM engineering through a dozen second and third tier manufacturers all winding up in Bowling Green, all fitting together and working as designed. This all goes from a clean sheet of paper to launch in two years, a very daunting undertaking.

To expect perfection in a 50,000 dollar car with 1/4 million units to build only show a lack of knowledge about automotive design and manufacturing.
David Shiel (12-30-2016)

Quick Reply: Road Noise --which is better: Coupe or Convertible?