"Raising" Front End

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default "Raising" Front End

I know, I know... everyone else wants to drag the ground!

I always used to slightly scrape (at the rocker panel area) when pulling into my garage (on an unavoidable incline approach). I noticed that when I replaced my shocks with Bilsteins a few years ago that it slightly lifted my front end maybe 1/4" or so, which was just enough to allow me to enter my garage without waking up the neighbors. However, lately it seems to be settling down as it is starting to scrape again. Not sure if it is the shocks, the leaf springs or something else starting to relax?

My question: Is there an acceptable way to raise the front end safely about 1/4"? Not sure how I would determine what is the source of the recent slump (could be a little of everything).

Just thought I would ask before I start replacing things like the front leaf springs.

Last edited by Choreo; 01-25-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Have you gained a few pounds recently?

Just kidding!

You could use the bolts in the ends of the springs to raise the car if you have enough adjustment in them. You'd want to raise front and back to maintain the car's rake and you'd probably want to have an alignment done.

Alternatively, you could install a set of the thick delrin rocker rails to act as silent skid bars that would slide on the offending surface. I have a set I'm replacing my thinner aluminum rocker rails on my C5 with as I installed coilovers and expect to scrape on my challenging driveway now.

Another thing - I know some may roll their eyes at this but, I noticed that my lower front air deflectors (similar to those on the C5) would start to scrape on my inclined driveway and get progressively worse until I put new tires on and then it would disappear until the tread wore enough to start the process all over again. It currently is not scraping as I just put new tires on recently.

Last edited by Patches; 01-25-2017 at 10:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Choreo (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:21 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Have you gained a few pounds recently?

Just kidding!
I wish it were a joke! However, I have not gained "that" much!

Actually I have the Elite Engineering rocker rails installed and it is the front jacking pucks on those that are hitting. I have their first design where the jacking pads stick down about 1/4". I guess that would be another solution to replace those - I think the pads are flush in their latest design?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:17 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default One word

Hydraulics

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-26-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:37 AM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Just because I hear it often and cannot help but correct it.

Shocks do nothing to raise or lower the vehicle (air shocks excluded, those add an air spring)

Springs support the weight and on the C5 can be adjusted to raise or lower the vehicle.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:18 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Hydraulics

Horsepower
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:59 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

New rims should work.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Just come in a little hotter with one of your heavier friends in the car...
...about 15-35 times, and grind the pucks down a bit.

In my lowered C5, my catalytic converters scrape my garage apron/transition at times. (Depends on how much I had to eat that day!)
I have a gravel driveway, and built up the rocks a bit to alleviate this issue; and have to adjust this a couple times a year, but no big deal. If you add Racedeck or similar to your garage, or perhaps a transition rubber strip, or something in front of the garage that would help?
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Might be time to install a new set for C6 Z06 shocks. They will increase the ride height.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:29 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by alxltd1
New rims should work.

OMG! What a way to destroy a perfectly good Corvette! The person who did this should be hanged!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:36 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

That's not real. It was Photoshopped.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
Might be time to install a new set for C6 Z06 shocks. They will increase the ride height.

TRIGGERED

Old 01-29-2017, 11:55 PM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

Hydraulics

I know you're posting that as a joke but wouldn't you think that by now with what these things cost new and with all the technology that's in them that they could at least come up with a solution to give you a temporary extra lift for those situations.
With the speed that F55 ride control computes wouldn't you think that something could be incorporated into the shock, or a separate one, when just creeping up to something like one of those dips a sensor could be used to jack it up a little.
I'm not talking about {Gabriel Hijackers} here but with todays technology they can't tell me it would be that much of a problem to come up with a computerized fix for this especialy when you're going slow enough for the thing to have time to respond.
I know the racers wouldn't want it for extra weight alone but for the everyday driver I don't think any of us would mind. It can't be that difficult with the engineering we have today.
I mean, They had Air Bags on 58 Buick Limiteds so it's nothing new.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:07 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Rabbitman
I know you're posting that as a joke but wouldn't you think that by now with what these things cost new and with all the technology that's in them that they could at least come up with a solution to give you a temporary extra lift for those situations.
With the speed that F55 ride control computes wouldn't you think that something could be incorporated into the shock, or a separate one, when just creeping up to something like one of those dips a sensor could be used to jack it up a little.
I'm not talking about {Gabriel Hijackers} here but with todays technology they can't tell me it would be that much of a problem to come up with a computerized fix for this especialy when you're going slow enough for the thing to have time to respond.
I know the racers wouldn't want it for extra weight alone but for the everyday driver I don't think any of us would mind. It can't be that difficult with the engineering we have today.
I mean, They had Air Bags on 58 Buick Limiteds so it's nothing new.
its just a matter of the build budget...the technology has been there for 70 years. anything is possible. but convincing the Chief engineer to bring on a major suspension design, where some projects are shot down because they add a dollar to the cost to manufacture, is impossible. The budget was established, the target date was set, the money was largely devoted to the drive train, and the push to make the car lighter, and avoid the gas guzzler tax with a major consideration.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:01 AM
Rabbitman
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

its just a matter of the build budget...the technology has been there for 70 years. anything is possible. but convincing the Chief engineer to bring on a major suspension design, where some projects are shot down because they add a dollar to the cost to manufacture, is impossible. The budget was established, the target date was set, the money was largely devoted to the drive train, and the push to make the car lighter, and avoid the gas guzzler tax with a major consideration.
Yes I understand the weight issues, clearance and all that and the budget being probably the biggest issue with designing and price competition for sales.
But even an aftermarket solution bolt on of some kind should be able to be designed for not a ridiculous amount of money to address this issue.
The money some people have in some Corvettes would probably buy 15-20 of my C5''s but you can't tell me for as little as $500 something either hydraulic or more likely compressed air could be invented to do this and then be quickly deflated and if it was there I'd buy one and I'm sure a bunch of the big Dogs would too.
Small electric compressor mounted anywhere, small accumulator already charged, again mounted anywhere, optical sensor underneath and possibly a small secondary lift type shock close to the main one or other wise and some hose. It could even be manualy operated eliminating the sensor. I can't imagine something like this isn't already out there after being new to Vettes last Summer and seeing this problem.
Myself I've already installed the Curb Alert and a front and rear camera with a damn near factory looking monitor, other than being low around the ash tray area for less than 100, minus the price of the Curb Alert . Even for parking alone if for nothing else a lift system would sure help. I think the cylinder location would probably be the biggest obstacle.
A system like this wouldn't be limited just to Corvettes, hell everything's low today!
I'm sure somebody just a little smarter than me could figure that out and that person probably wouldn't be too hard to find
Old 01-30-2017, 04:31 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Going to larger tires might get you that 1/4" you need. Either wider tire with the same aspect ratio or same width with a higher aspect ratio would work.

Get notified of new replies

To "Raising" Front End

Quick Reply: "Raising" Front End