Sponsored by:

driver door glass pops way out at speed

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM
David73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver door glass pops way out at speed

Howdy folks, Haven't posted here on CF in years. Hoping for some help with some C5 issues... My driver side door glass pops out at 65 mph or more. The left side was wrecked back in '07 (car should've been totaled) and the door was replaced by a not-so reputable body shop. I either got a cheap chinese replacement door or the body man got lazy and left out a stiffener or something. Depending on wind direction it sometimes leans out so far I can stick my hand out the gap.

Wondered if anyone could tell me if there is some sort of stiffening brace that is required to keep the glass from tilting out or what may be wrong with it ???

The car has 235K miles on it and I'm just using it as a work beater but this problem is really irritating.

Another prob I need to fix in the short term is the left rear deck lid latch won't hold the deck lid down all the way and it leaves the interior light on all the time. Anybody know of a cheap source for this item ?

thanks
David
Old 02-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Does your car have this clip?
The following users liked this post:
OldBalz (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 06:37 PM
David73
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Evil-Twin;
Does your car have this clip?[/QUOTE]

Yes it does. I guess the window doesn't quite reach it but I don't think that's the only problem it has. I can slam the passenger door and watch the side mirror up/down movement... then slam the driver door and I can see MUCH more movement of the mirror.

thanks
Old 02-11-2017, 09:42 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

There is an adjustment for the door glass that sets it's initial contact or "index" to the door. While the door may appear closed it may not be in a position to function properly with the blow-out-clip Evil-Twin posted. You can find the screw by removing the large reflector towards the bottom of the interior door panel. Behind that is a screw that you can turn that will tip the glass either further in or out. Be careful when removing the reflector as the tabs are incredibly fragile.

I've had to have a door replaced also due to a fender-bender and don't have issues with runs to Mexico

Get notified of new replies

To driver door glass pops way out at speed

Quick Reply: driver door glass pops way out at speed