Sponsored by:

B&M shifter vs. RZ shifter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 08:10 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Default B&M shifter vs. RZ shifter

I originally purchased a $70 RZ short throw shifter back in May of 2015.

Click here for RZ install

After two years of use I decided to go ahead and pick up a B&M shifter and do a comparison of the two.

RZ shifter

B&M shifter

As for comparison they are very similar in design. It's as if the RZ is a B&M knock off. There are a few differences between the design of the two. First and foremost the main one being the B&M comes with a rubber boot for the shaft while the RZ did not come with one. B&M also comes with a gasket where the RZ does not.

Size wise they appear to be similar, however I did not measure. If there is a length difference it's to small to tell with the naked eyes.

Disclaimer- I had added 2 washers for the anti-venom mod when I initially installed the RZ shifter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel
B&M shifter- Overall shifting is smooth, but slightly more notchy than the factory shifter. Hands down wins this category.

RZ shifter- Overall shifting is very notchy and takes a bit of effort and muscle, but it is something you would expect in a drag race setup.

Shifting into R
B&M-Stockish like feel

RZ- Will have to put into 2nd and then in Reverse. Although this makes things a bit easier there's still a bit effort and muscle work required

Shifting into 1st:
B&M- smooth transition from N to 1st or R to 1st

RZ- Extremely tight and often times you will need to shift into 2nd before going into 1st.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finding Gears/Rowing Gears

B&M-For the most part is effortless during rapid acceleration. Main complaint is going from 5th to 6th as it seems to want to drop into 4th. If I recall this was similar to the factory setup. However, it's much easier to identify what gear you are in.

RZ-Hands down wins this category when shifting during rapid acceleration. Especially going from 5th to 6th.

Shifting into 2nd

B&M- Smooth transition from 1st similar to factory setup

RZ- Very tight and notchy so you really have to work the shifter

Noise and Vibration

B&M- Is practically nonexistent

RZ- Noisy under rapid acceleration

Final thoughts

Overall, B&M is a fantastic shifter, a little more race inspired compared to stock shifter, but not as harsh as the RZ shifter. If a person is looking more for a full on race inspired shifter the RZ is the way to go. Where the the B&M is more for someone looking for a good cruising shifter, with the occasional drag strip visit.

I also ordered a leather/carbon fiber shift **** to go with the new setup. I found this on ebay from a shop that was closing and selling off it's remaining inventory.

Quick Reply: B&M shifter vs. RZ shifter