Sponsored by:

Penlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark 82' CE
Ha! Now this is a fun thread! I never even thought about that little thing, but now, my interest was piqued.....

I carefully extracted mine out of the owner's manual case, opened it, it appears that it never had a battery in it.

-Put two new Duracells in there, and, with anxious anticipation, pressed the button............. NOTHING!

I am..... devastated.....

Since I did not get one at all and now find out yours is defective I am thinking class action law suit. Talk about mistreated, nothing to illuminate the way. Bet the pen light worked better than the headlights.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:12 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
Does yours still work? I was rumminging around in the car today and found my owners manual behind the drivers seat. I knew I had the ink pen and the light but I had not tried the light in recent memory. It didn't come on and it was obvious why when I opened it up. Corroded so bad the batteries wouldn't come out. Took a while, but managed to get them out. Two new AAA's and useable again.

I still have my Penlight and owners manual in the glovebox(2001 coupe). After reading this post it made me go and retrieve from the car. Sadly the batteries are frozen within the case. Tried WD40, Baking Soda, etc...ended up drilling them out. Question, if not too inconvenient, could you send a picture(PM) to my ID of the top/inside of the case where the batteries get inserted. Also, I could not get AAA's to fit, but AAAA's will fit. I had to mangle the metal tube inside the plastic case, now I'm wondering if I have it properly fitted. Picture of yours would help. Sorry if this is taking a silly pen thing too far, once I get something in mind Its hard to let go. Appreciate your time...

Last edited by RED Coupe; 04-24-2017 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 AM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Thanks to this thread if someone asks if I've ever opened the owners manual I can say YES

I'd never even thought about checking the flashlights. The 99's doesn't work.. and after opening it up it's not very surprising

This is the first thing I've found having to do with the car that's actually showing its age.

The '03 doesn't have a pen light, or even a fancy zippered case. Just an ink pen and a $1.25 *in 2003 dollars* tire gauge. Thank$ GM

Last edited by MikeG37; 04-25-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM
narlee
Melting Slicks

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Had to go check, batteries came out fine and the only issue was the slightest corrosion at the tip of the spring.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by MikeG37
Thanks to this thread if someone asks if I've ever opened the owners manual I can say YES

I'd never even thought about checking the flashlights. The 99's doesn't work.. and after opening it up it's not very surprising

This is the first thing I've found having to do with the car that's actually showing its age.

The '03 doesn't have a pen light, or even a fancy zippered case. Just an ink pen and a $1.25 *in 2003 dollars* tire gauge. Thank$ GM

Thanks very much for the pic...my device has a metal liner which is messed up. I don't seem to see that in your picture. I'll post a picture of mine later, dot have it with me. Also, only battery size I can insert are AAAA's. AAA's wont fit? True for you?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by red coupe
thanks very much for the pic...my device has a metal liner which is messed up. I don't seem to see that in your picture. I'll post a picture of mine later, dot have it with me. Also, only battery size i can insert are aaaa's. Aaa's wont fit? True for you?
How many batteries...2 or 3?

[attach]Name:  IMG_0478.JPG
Views: 458
Size:  1.29 MB[/attach]
Attached Images  

Last edited by RED Coupe; 04-25-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:53 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I don't have one either. My feelings are hurt.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff T.
Don't have one...
me either
Old 04-25-2017, 11:35 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RED Coupe
How many batteries...2 or 3?

[attach]Attachment 48086948[/attach]
2 AAA's are what you need. Doubt AAAA's will work. The metal tube which hold the batteries will come out of the plastic housing. Try pushing the bulb against a solid surface and the tube may push out from the opposite end. Could help in the clean up process. May take a wire brush to clean up the interior of the tube so the correct batteries will fit.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

2 AAA's are what you need. Doubt AAAA's will work. The metal tube which hold the batteries will come out of the plastic housing. Try pushing the bulb against a solid surface and the tube may push out from the opposite end. Could help in the clean up process. May take a wire brush to clean up the interior of the tube so the correct batteries will fit.
Thanks for the input. Its mind boggling, I have the metal tube out of the plastic casing, still cannot get AAA into the metal tube. I did man handle it when drilling out the frozen batteries. But that should not have reduced the tube diameter. Thats why I thought perhaps AAAA were correct size. I cannot figure why the AAA will not fit. Screwing around with this I now broke the bulb. Will try to find a place to buy new bulb, but only after I can solve this battery insertion nonsense. May just put the empty Pen light back in the owners manual and call it a day if this isn't solved. Thanks very much for your advice....

...Bob

Last edited by RED Coupe; 04-26-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by RED Coupe
Thanks for the input. Its mind boggling, I have the metal tube out of the plastic casing, still cannot get AAA into the metal tube. I did man handle it when drilling out the frozen batteries. But that should not have reduced the tube diameter. Thats why I though perhaps AAAA were correct size. I cannot figure why the AAA will not fit. Screwing around with this I now broke the bulb. Will try to find a place to buy new bulb, but only after I can solve this battery insertion nonsense. May just put the empty Pen light back in the owners manual and call it a day if this isn't solved. Thanks very much for your advice....

...Bob
If you have the batteries out try a small bore brush for a hand gun or rifle to clean up the inside. Sorry about the bulb.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

If you have the batteries out try a small bore brush for a hand gun or rifle to clean up the inside. Sorry about the bulb.

Your suggestion is logical, however this dam thing is cleaned out, no debris at all. Fact is as I said earlier, I man handled it, use drill to ream it out. Also attempted to flare opening, just frustrating, otherwise I'd just ignore this thing. I'll post a picture later...thanks again.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:17 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
Never got one, bought it new. Have a pen in the case but no flashlight. That is it, i'am getting an attorney.
Black 03 Z06; your car is obviously a Z, I am assuming GM would omit the light to cut down on weight! Mine also has none. Consider your car that much quicker.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM
DRAFT1
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Funny, I rebuilt mine. It was corroded and also needed bulb. I just had to do it!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:48 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
Funny, I rebuilt mine. It was corroded and also needed bulb. I just had to do it!
Metal insert without bulb...note AAA battery will not fit but AAAA insert ok. Markings on the metal sleeve are from my man handling when extracting the frozen batteries. This is from my 2001 Coupe, I'm original owner, purchased 8/2000, penlite/owners manual never been out of glove box in 17 years. Uggg Just ordered a bulb to replace one I broke screwing with this. As DRAFT1 explains....just have to do this! Yes, crazy!

Name:  IMG_0484.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  1.33 MB

Name:  IMG_0485.JPG
Views: 335
Size:  1.66 MB

Name:  IMG_0487.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  2.93 MB

Name:  IMG_0488.JPG
Views: 405
Size:  2.81 MB
Old 04-26-2017, 10:58 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

I wonder what you get with a new C7 purchase?
KY Jelly...
Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 PM
fzadnik
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I know this is an old post but does anyone have any idea what size the bulb is? I cleaned mine up but the bulb broke. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Penlight