Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increasing auto trans line pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM
wildazme
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Increasing auto trans line pressure.

Hi all I just recently got a hypertech hpp3, yes I know it's an old model but I got it at a cheap price. I installed it and set the transmission line pressure to 50% firmer. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this, and if it will be safe to have on my car for the long run. Normal driving pretty much feels the same but under heavy throttle I can feel the shift more now. My current mods are an Airaid intake and magnaflow x pipe with dual straight tubes. Thanks in advance. Oh and the car is an 01 base vette.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:32 PM
RBS_Z51C5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wildazme
Hi all I just recently got a hypertech hpp3, yes I know it's an old model but I got it at a cheap price. I installed it and set the transmission line pressure to 50% firmer. I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on this, and if it will be safe to have on my car for the long run. Normal driving pretty much feels the same but under heavy throttle I can feel the shift more now. My current mods are an Airaid intake and magnaflow x pipe with dual straight tubes. Thanks in advance. Oh and the car is an 01 base vette.
I was always told that increasing line pressure will shorten the life of a transmission and that adding a mechanical shift kit like TransGo won't. Hopefully, somebody with more extensive knowledge will chime in
Old 04-25-2017, 01:53 PM
wildazme
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not saying that's wrong hence why I'm asking but I believe almost everyone that gets a tune on there car, even dyno tunes I believe the tuners increase line pressure and change shift points etc. So if this was the case there would be a lot of broken transmissions no?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:47 PM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

It can shorten the life of the trans but it's hard to measure how much. It depends on too many factors; such as how you drive, how old the trans is, how its been maintained. Two things to do: change the trans fluid and filter often and pull the shift lever down into third before making full throttle downshifts, which are brutal on the trans. Your trans should last a long time but be prepared for a rebuild in the future if you regularly drive it hard.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

increased pressure= quicker shifts, less clutch slippage, less heat =more life !!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Increasing auto trans line pressure.

Quick Reply: Increasing auto trans line pressure.