Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM
kcobain147
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
Default Insurance Question - Can't do NCM

Hey All -

Didn't want to hijack the other similar thread. My 03 Vette and 91 Camaro are both really under insured in the event of an accident. I wanted to do agreed value. Based on the recommendations of everyone here and what I've read, it looked like I could save a ton and get better coverage by going with NCM. So - I called. They apparently can't / don't do business in NY because they're a not for profit.

They passed me off to American Modern. I looked at their reviews online. They're horrible. They also seemed to think I had an at fault accident in January when I didn't. I was the first car of a 3 car accident, and was deemed 0% my fault. My insurance company confirmed. Turns out they (AMIG) use a 3rd party processor as opposed to going direct to the DMV (who my insurance (Geico) also confirmed shows me no fault).

Given the reviews, bouncing back and forth, and having inaccurate information which they insisted was accurate they didn't exactly inspire confidence. They said I could provide a letter from my current agent and they'd consider me no fault..but still not so sure they're the right choice.

Debating Haggerty or Grundy. Any pros / cons with either that folks are aware of, or any other recommendations? Cars both see < 1000 mi / year usually. Wife doesn't like the Camaro, plus both cars are "toys". I won't drive them in rush hr or as backups to my primary.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobain147
Hey All -

Didn't want to hijack the other similar thread. My 03 Vette and 91 Camaro are both really under insured in the event of an accident. I wanted to do agreed value. Based on the recommendations of everyone here and what I've read, it looked like I could save a ton and get better coverage by going with NCM. So - I called. They apparently can't / don't do business in NY because they're a not for profit.

They passed me off to American Modern. I looked at their reviews online. They're horrible. They also seemed to think I had an at fault accident in January when I didn't. I was the first car of a 3 car accident, and was deemed 0% my fault. My insurance company confirmed. Turns out they (AMIG) use a 3rd party processor as opposed to going direct to the DMV (who my insurance (Geico) also confirmed shows me no fault).

Given the reviews, bouncing back and forth, and having inaccurate information which they insisted was accurate they didn't exactly inspire confidence. They said I could provide a letter from my current agent and they'd consider me no fault..but still not so sure they're the right choice.

Debating Haggerty or Grundy. Any pros / cons with either that folks are aware of, or any other recommendations? Cars both see < 1000 mi / year usually. Wife doesn't like the Camaro, plus both cars are "toys". I won't drive them in rush hr or as backups to my primary.

Thanks in advance.
Did you talk to your own insurance agent? Mine came up with a very satisfactory plan for my C5, since I have all my insurance through him.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:47 PM
1blkc4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been using Hagerty for about a year for my 99frc and 92 gmc typhoon very happy with their customer service .
Old 04-26-2017, 04:05 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Just switched my '06 Z and '01 base to Hagerty this month, went from $1700 for the pair at AAA down to $1k (/YEAR). Same or better coverages, and NO hassles.
The following users liked this post:
skydiven4fun (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Nabcoinc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I have Hagerty for my 1930 Model A and they are great, agreed value is even more important on the antique cars and there usage is very liberal...

I talked to them about using them for my C5 and was not able to come to an agreement based on how I may use it...I was honest with them and mentioned I might occasionally drive it down to my house in North Carolina, they asked if when there would it be the only vehicle available to me and I told them yes, while there the Vette would be our only vehicle...based on that they would not insure it.

Ended up with State Farm where I have two other cars and both houses, worked out to be a few hundred dollars a year more than if I went with Hagerty but no use limitations.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:59 PM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

It's a toss up, call both
Old 04-27-2017, 12:31 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

You know, you call someone different and you get a different answer. I remember when I was shopping some agreed value insurance when I got my C5. I tried to call Adam at NCM but he was gone on vacation. I then called American Modern and some dude there told me that they wouldn't be able to insure my car. I explained that I was member of CF and that many others here had insurance with them. He simply said there was no way but thanks for calling. I ended up called Leland West Insurance in Calif (they are an agent for American Modern) and not only did I get the agreed value policy, I even have an Unlimited Mileage option as well. So while American Modern wouldn't insure me directly, they now insure me (indirectly I guess). Be diligent. I checked out Leland West very hard before I decided to go with them. I'm sure others here use them as well.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 AM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Hagerty is hard to beat, they always answer when you call and their service has been impeccable IMHO
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 AM
ttiros
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

I called Hagerty and told them I would drive 16 miles round trip to work on weekends only. They said no. Now this was three years ago.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:53 AM
kcobain147
Instructor

Appreciate the feedback thus far. I may get a quote from Grundy just to see. I got one from Hagerty and I agree - people were friendly, no long wait. Glad to hear service after the sale is good because that's a big deal w/insurance. Lately seems everyone I deal with is eager to take my money (not ins related..just in general) and then are useless for support. I suppose I could see if Geico does agreed value as well. I currently have them and they've been pretty easy to deal with.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Nabcoinc
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kcobain147
Appreciate the feedback thus far. I may get a quote from Grundy just to see. I got one from Hagerty and I agree - people were friendly, no long wait. Glad to hear service after the sale is good because that's a big deal w/insurance. Lately seems everyone I deal with is eager to take my money (not ins related..just in general) and then are useless for support. I suppose I could see if Geico does agreed value as well. I currently have them and they've been pretty easy to deal with.
When you are checking on "value coverage" make sure they use the term "agreed value" and not something like "guaranteed value" in insurance terminology those two statements mean something totally different.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

NCM appears to be a broker/agent. Who actually carries their policies?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 PM
msandym
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I have Hagerty . I've made claims and they have been great , no hassles and checks within a few days ! The magazine is nice too
Old 04-27-2017, 12:44 PM
killian96ss
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 181 Posts

I have Allstate, full coverage, $300k limit per accident & $25k agreed value, 6k mile a year limit & they matched Hagerty's quote for same coverage. I pay about $180 per month for 4 fully insured vehicles, can't remember what my 02Z is by itself, but you get a great multi vehicle discount if you have all your vehicles on 1 policy.

Steve
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Principal Lewis
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been a loyal Hagerty policy holder for 10+years for my past toys (99 Mustang Cobra & 07 SRT8 Grand Cherokee) . Also Hagerty is located in my home state of Michigan. When I purchased my 03Z and needless to say Hagerty was my first call. I was shocked at how expensive it was. Called Grundy - They beat Hagarty by almost $500 for the year. Both had the exact same coverage, free road side and guaranteed flat bed towing same deductible and guaranteed replacement value etc ect. I know that I live in the one of, if not the most expensive state to insure a vehicle (Michigan).
Old 04-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Principal Lewis
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nabcoinc
When you are checking on "value coverage" make sure they use the term "agreed value" and not something like "guaranteed value" in insurance terminology those two statements mean something totally different.
100% need to double check the language used similar sounding but very different coverage!
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
kcobain147
Instructor

Got a quote from Grundy. Same coverage, Grundy was $175 cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance Question - Can't do NCM

Old 04-29-2017, 03:23 PM
cudaus1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Hagerty off and on insuring my Muscle Cars since 1996. Bought my 04 Vette and found that they were double the price of Grundy! Guess where I went?
Old 04-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Michael Garcia
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have American Collector insurance. There service so far has been good. They all have bad reviews. Hagerty has many bad reviews
Old 04-29-2017, 04:17 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

I never had insurance through anyone but an independent agent. I vet the agent as I do the insurance company. I never nickel/dime insurance or any other important needs to make life easier. The agents have always taken care of me with the right company for the right price. Service has been outstanding. Spent 50 years working in insurance claims and know first hand how things get done with an agent. Just my .02 worth.

Quick Reply: Insurance Question - Can't do NCM