Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me identify the part!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Please help me identify the part!

While removing my steering wheel I noticed this...
(It's just the the left of the steering wheel tilt handle. black box with something red in it)

I couldn't get it in the pic but there is a thick harness wire plugging into it.

This is what is under my dash. Is any of this stock? The little blue connector with the purple and white wires going into it to the left of the yellow airbag connector says "Delphi" on it. and the bundle of wires look brand new and I've had this car for years! What could this be?? Super curious. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:02 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Is the car a manual trans??? Wire colors match up pretty well with a GM K Harness that might have been installed as a part of the GM Column Lock Recall Service.

If it is a manual and it is a K Harness and you have not yet installed an LMC5 you are betting that you will never have a weak or bad battery that fries the Relay portion of the K Harness and leaves you stranded..............

Here is a pic of a K Harness for your reference:

And here is what a K Harness relay looks like after the battery runs low:
Oh wow, so it's a weak battery that causes the failure of the relay? Is that the steering lock issue I hear about so much? I do remember seeing a receipt for an LMC5 steering lock something or other with the documentation that came from the previous owner of my car. Thanks for the info, I have always wondered exactly what that was just never cared enough to search about it till I actually saw it for the first time when I started pulling panels off to remove my steering wheel.

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 04-27-2017 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Please help me identify the part!