Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to enjoy the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:17 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 123 Posts

I have been driving my c5 daily since I purchased it (except winter I don't want all the road salt on it) and the car performs just fine even with half worn out nitto nt555 on the rear that are known to not be that great dry let alone in the rain. No matter what you drive it is a fact that water on the road decreases available friction between the tire and road. But if you can not enjoy your c5 in the rain because you don't want it to get dirty I can understand and partially agree because I don't like the extra work it adds to cleaning myself. Now if you can not enjoy your c5 in the rain because you are not a good enough driver to keep it on the road in wet conditions I have a problem with this you either need to take some driving classes to learn how to handle a vehicle or sell your car because you are a danger to everyone else on the street.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:05 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

IMO no one should necessarily enjoy driving any vehicle in the rain, otherwise known as inclement weather. This is a time to modify driving procedures to insure you own and others safety on on the roadways. You should be focused on the hazards driving in wet, rainy stormy etc conditions pose and be prepared to react appropriately. All this rhetoric about tires, acceleration, etc etc is missing the mark. Anybody want to offer up some ways one could enjoy driving in a hail storm? Blizzard? Dense fog? Icy roads? Bottom line, driving in inclement weather is about focusing on safety not fun.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:51 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by norcalace
IMO no one should necessarily enjoy driving any vehicle in the rain, otherwise known as inclement weather. This is a time to modify driving procedures to insure you own and others safety on on the roadways. You should be focused on the hazards driving in wet, rainy stormy etc conditions pose and be prepared to react appropriately. All this rhetoric about tires, acceleration, etc etc is missing the mark. Anybody want to offer up some ways one could enjoy driving in a hail storm? Blizzard? Dense fog? Icy roads? Bottom line, driving in inclement weather is about focusing on safety not fun.
Good point!!
Old 05-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I have a good friend who's a mechanic specializing in Porsche. He told me once that if people really understood what they were putting their car through driving in the rain no one would drive in the rain.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:37 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
I have a good friend who's a mechanic specializing in Porsche. He told me once that if people really understood what they were putting their car through driving in the rain no one would drive in the rain.
Lol. Who is he so I never make the mistake of going to him.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I really think this thead was more about his frustration with how much rain he is dealing with and not being able to enjoy driving the car like he wants to. Not so much s how to race around in the rain. JMHO
Old 05-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Originally Posted by v8srfun
Lol. Who is he so I never make the mistake of going to him.
Really? So you think forcing dirty water into bearings and electrical connections etc is a good thing? Wow. Wish I had your wisdom.
Lol

Last edited by Nyt_Muves; 05-14-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:55 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I really think this thead was more about his frustration with how much rain he is dealing with and not being able to enjoy driving the car like he wants to. Not so much s how to race around in the rain. JMHO
This is pretty true. Multiple bouts in a row of rain make it depressing since I don't get to drive the car. Of course I can drive it, just that I don't want to and that got me thinking on this subject. Even if I might be fine to still use some of the power in the rain, I doubt much I would which combined with the extra cleanup really does (for me) make it a sunny weather car.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:04 AM
v8srfun
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
Really? So you think forcing dirty water into bearings and electrical connections etc is a good thing? Wow. Wish I had your wisdom.
Lol
I understand that driving in wet conditions is worse for your car than dry this is not even a argument. But I would not want to have my vehicle repaired by a tech that thinks people would not drive in rain if they knew it wax worse. Running wears out your knees and ankles but i don't see people not running because they want there knees to be good when they are old and don't have the strength stamina and coordination to run. These vehicles have electronic components that will fail due to age alone regardless if the vehicle sees water or not so why sweat the small stuff. In 50 years c5's will not be collectible like 60's and 70's cars because they are plastic and electronic so enjoy them while you can because they will deteriorate no matter what.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Originally Posted by v8srfun
I understand that driving in wet conditions is worse for your car than dry this is not even a argument. But I would not want to have my vehicle repaired by a tech that thinks people would not drive in rain if they knew it wax worse. Running wears out your knees and ankles but i don't see people not running because they want there knees to be good when they are old and don't have the strength stamina and coordination to run. These vehicles have electronic components that will fail due to age alone regardless if the vehicle sees water or not so why sweat the small stuff. In 50 years c5's will not be collectible like 60's and 70's cars because they are plastic and electronic so enjoy them while you can because they will deteriorate no matter what.
He was making a point, not telling people not to drive.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Hard to believe we are having this discussion again. I drive my car wherever and whenever I want, except on really bad rutted dirt and gravel roads, in snow storms or hail storms, or when the visibility is so bad I can't see where I am going or am afraid of someone else hitting me. This is a car, meant to be driven rain or shine, designed to survive most conditions. Common sense dictates whether or not you survive, your fear causes more accidents than your tires. I drive in the rain and don't think about it, my car handles just fine with the Hancooks, and I have driven often down the windey twisty road into my neighborhood as well as at speed on the highway with no problems. Just drive the damn thing and stop fretting about it. If you get freaked out about every speck of dust on it and have to keep it clean enough to see your face in the reflection, or eat off it, that's your obsession, not mine. And if you don't drive in the rain, how do you wash your car? Just soap it up and go for a ride, come home and rinse it off.

Last edited by mrlmd; 05-15-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:55 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Hard to believe we are having this discussion again. I drive my car wherever and whenever I want, except on really bad rutted dirt and gravel roads, in snow storms or hail storms, or when the visibility is so bad I can't see where I am going or am afraid of someone else hitting me. This is a car, meant to be driven rain or shine, designed to survive most conditions. Common sense dictates whether or not you survive, your fear causes more accidents than your tires. I drive in the rain and don't think about it, my car handles just fine with the Hancooks, and I have driven often down the windey twisty road into my neighborhood as well as at speed on the highway with no problems. Just drive the damn thing and stop fretting about it. If you get freaked out about every speck of dust on it and have to keep it clean enough to see your face in the reflection, or eat off it, that's your obsession, not mine. And if you don't drive in the rain, how do you wash your car? Just soap it up and go for a ride, come home and rinse it off.
FWIW a car sitting in the rain is different than one driving through it. The latter slings dirty water from the ground all over the car. Never really was my intent that no one is allowed to drive their cars whenever they want, I asked for my sake and my car. If someone wants to slap a plow on their C5 and go cleaning out parking lots, be my guest by all means.

I was driving my truck a few days back when it was raining and watched someone texting and driving lock the tires up at the last second and run right into the back of a car making a left turn from the rear. It was luckily low speed so I don't think anyone was badly hurt, but people have shown their general ignorance at paying attention to the road in ideal conditions let alone adding in inclement conditions to reduce handling and response times.If they're gonna hit me, hit me in my truck not in my Vette. It'll do less damage and I'll fret less over it.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBossMY03Z
FWIW a car sitting in the rain is different than one driving through it. The latter slings dirty water from the ground all over the car. Never really was my intent that no one is allowed to drive their cars whenever they want, I asked for my sake and my car. If someone wants to slap a plow on their C5 and go cleaning out parking lots, be my guest by all means.

I was driving my truck a few days back when it was raining and watched someone texting and driving lock the tires up at the last second and run right into the back of a car making a left turn from the rear. It was luckily low speed so I don't think anyone was badly hurt, but people have shown their general ignorance at paying attention to the road in ideal conditions let alone adding in inclement conditions to reduce handling and response times. If they're gonna hit me, hit me in my truck not in my Vette. It'll do less damage and I'll fret less over it.

Well stated, and that's the way I feel...........

Quick Reply: Any way to enjoy the rain?